The Student Room Group

Strange uni offer?

I contacted a university in regards to applying for their course a few months ago, they advised me not to apply due to the fact I did not meet their requirements.

However, I applied to fill my 5th space. In a strange turn of events, they were the first uni I heard back from & they gave me an unconditional place for quite a competitive course.

Anyone had this experience too? / any thoughts?

Could it be my PS.. my reference? anything that won them over?
Hi! Congratulations on your offer. I got an unconditional too (from Lincoln) and, not the same situation as you, but I was literally 1 grade above their requirements and they still handed it to me on a silver platter. So, don’t stress, be happy! Good luck on your other offers! Where did you apply to, if you don’t mind me asking
similar thing happened to me too, except i applied for a foundation year course for law & criminal justice (ljmu) and they gave me an conditional offer for the same course WITHOUT a foundation year. obviously, i'm very confused and lost as to how they did this, i don't have my math's gcse's, i got both D's in alevel sociology and history however i scored a distinction in my btec law so maybe that could be a key factor into scoring a place in that course? as well as my personal statement i guess, i had a couple of experiences being in court and i got to be a pretend judge in a pretend case in an actual court.

maybe your personal statement and your references could one be of the reasons? what are you applying for and what uni was it that replied?
Original post by Cherriesnwinc
I contacted a university in regards to applying for their course a few months ago, they advised me not to apply due to the fact I did not meet their requirements.

However, I applied to fill my 5th space. In a strange turn of events, they were the first uni I heard back from & they gave me an unconditional place for quite a competitive course.

It’s more likely that when you contacted them you weren’t clear about your qualifications or you spoke to someone who misunderstood you or answered outside their knowledge.
Original post by Cherriesnwinc

My guess is that they havent had the numbers to fill their spaces so made you an offer. If they dont fill their spaces they lose out financially. What requirement didnt you meet.
Original post by swanseajack1
My guess is that they havent had the numbers to fill their spaces so made you an offer. If they dont fill their spaces they lose out financially. What requirement didnt you meet.

Can this really be true though? The UCAS deadline just passed. They offered me a place the day after the deadline closed.

It was a higher grade I missed out on, because I did advanced highers instead (( it’s a step above highers, but they said they looked to highers and valued them more.))

So I dunno what happened at the end of the day. But I’m grateful.
Original post by joonst1ddies
similar thing happened to me too, except i applied for a foundation year course for law & criminal justice (ljmu) and they gave me an conditional offer for the same course WITHOUT a foundation year. obviously, i'm very confused and lost as to how they did this, i don't have my math's gcse's, i got both D's in alevel sociology and history however i scored a distinction in my btec law so maybe that could be a key factor into scoring a place in that course? as well as my personal statement i guess, i had a couple of experiences being in court and i got to be a pretend judge in a pretend case in an actual court.

maybe your personal statement and your references could one be of the reasons? what are you applying for and what uni was it that replied?

Hey, it was for an English literature course at the university of Stirling
Original post by misslyddiero
Hi! Congratulations on your offer. I got an unconditional too (from Lincoln) and, not the same situation as you, but I was literally 1 grade above their requirements and they still handed it to me on a silver platter. So, don’t stress, be happy! Good luck on your other offers! Where did you apply to, if you don’t mind me asking

See the thing was. I was ABOVE The requirements too!! But they said no, because they said they valued a higher qualification to an advanced higher qualification. (( advanced higher is a step above. Slightly harder than your A-LEVELS)) which i found strange, but most Scottish unis value highers more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending