The Student Room Group

My old best friend going out with my ex

So I’ve discovered my old best friend from around 5-6 years ago ( we still occasionally speak - our parents know eachother and are good friends too ) is now going out with my ex who I split up with just under a year ago. They’ve posted a photo on fb together lastnight and I don’t know how to cope with the awkwardness and what to say to my mum if she asks how I feel etc. I know she will. I don’t have feelings for him anymore what so ever it’s more just the awkwardness if anyone asks me about it or what happened.
Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear about how you're feeling, It's sure to make you feel a little apprehensive and anxious.
It's normal to feel this way, and I'm sure that your mum would be expecting nothing less than for you to be feeling a little awkward about things.
It's good that you feel you've been able to move on from your ex, maybe one way to battle this is to extrapolate the emotions and perhaps focus on how you're happy for them both and wish them the best.
As I said, it's completely natural to feel awkward about the situation but one of the best ways to deal with awkwardness is to face it head on and in the vast majority of times, you'll realise things aren't as awkward as they initially seem!

I hope this helps..
All the best!

- Matt
Hey!

Honestly, I personally don't see the problem. She obviously likes him and vice versa - surely you could understand having been in a relationship.
It would be a totally different conversation if you two were still really close and she all of a sudden got together with him.

In regards to the awkwardness just say you both had a past, you don't have feelings for him and you've both moved on (i.e: the truth).

I wish you the best! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending