The Student Room Group

Is my girlfriend autistic?

So I love my girlfriend but recently have been overthinking whether she fits the spectrum.

Firstly, she’s a really fussy eater. So much so that we’ve had to switch restaurants for a dinner party to cater to her “normal” standards.

She hates change or trying things new. For example tv shows - it’s the same monotonous drama each time that she has watched at least twice before.

The list could go on but she hates eye contact, which is a big one for me as I always feel slightly irritated we can’t even look at each other properly in intimate conversation.

Not really sure what answers I’m gonna get from this, but yeah, what do u lot think?
There's very little to go on to even begin making an conclusion there. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you that. If you love her, why does is matter?
You won't get any useful answers tbh. It's not like we can diagnose her online, esp based on a couple of vague sentences. (fussy eater? really?)
Original post by Anonymous
So I love my girlfriend but recently have been overthinking whether she fits the spectrum.

Firstly, she’s a really fussy eater. So much so that we’ve had to switch restaurants for a dinner party to cater to her “normal” standards.

She hates change or trying things new. For example tv shows - it’s the same monotonous drama each time that she has watched at least twice before.

The list could go on but she hates eye contact, which is a big one for me as I always feel slightly irritated we can’t even look at each other properly in intimate conversation.

Not really sure what answers I’m gonna get from this, but yeah, what do u lot think?

When it comes to psychological conditions there is a truly vast amount of over diagnosis. There is a vast amount of variation in behaviour and tastes. There's far too much readiness to diagnose conditions on relatively moderate deviations from the norm: deviations that wouldn't pass a typical hypothesis test.
Reply 4
Original post by MidgetFever
There's very little to go on to even begin making an conclusion there. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you that. If you love her, why does is matter?

I’d rather know if I’m dating someone with a mental disorder. Just to set the record straight. Sorry if this comes across as at all blunt.
Reply 5
speak to her about it, ask her if she's ever thought about if her behaviour aligns with any traits and perhaps give her examples (like you have in your thread) and ask her hey of you think this might be a bit odd or
or maybe just bring up doing an online 'test' (though these aren't accurate because imo online diagnosis is a load of.. but itll be in her mind if she gets a result)

you will never know until/unless you talk and communicate with her and even if she refuses everything or accepts your views youre still going to be worried about it;the only clear way youll know is through diagnosis via doctor/therapist/psychologist/whoever's incharge of that lmao
the best thing to do, that you can do, is talk to her.
regardless of what you say or do, try to reassure her in all ways that it is okay to have a mental disorder or not because it is
(edited 4 years ago)
I’d rather know if I’m dating someone with a mental disorder. Just to set the record straight. Sorry if this comes across as at all blunt.

It's not that it's blunt, it's just impossible to tell.
Sounds bad
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
We broke up
We broke up

Send her my way. I wouldn't care if she was full on retarded.
Autism is a lot harder to detect in women so anything is possible
We broke up

Really sorry to hear that bud, feel free to PM me if you need someone to chat to.
Reply 12
We broke up

how why??
Original post by MidgetFever
Really sorry to hear that bud, feel free to PM me if you need someone to chat to.

Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending