The Student Room Group

Would my eating problems hinder me in the future

I am recovering from anorexia rn, not been sent into hospital etc. And I want to go into the language sector of careers- idk the words. Army translator/MI5 translator sound like something I’d love to do in the future, but I’m wondering would my eating problems in the past ruin my chances of employment? Sorry Ik this isn’t the best place to post this but idk where else
Original post by FishFinger04
I am recovering from anorexia rn, not been sent into hospital etc. And I want to go into the language sector of careers- idk the words. Army translator/MI5 translator sound like something I’d love to do in the future, but I’m wondering would my eating problems in the past ruin my chances of employment? Sorry Ik this isn’t the best place to post this but idk where else

When you've had/got any medical issue that might preclude service, you have to apply first, and then at the medical, the specific details of your case are looked at. There is a list of standard precluding diseases and illnesses and iirc anorexia is on that list, but it might be that your situation isn't standard, or that the medics think the circumstances mean that you can serve. So you have to apply and see.
Reply 2
Hi, have a look at the medical section of the Army Careers site. I can't immediately see anorexia specifically mentioned in the comprehensive list of conditions which may be a stopper. However, the page also says this list is not exhaustive, so it may still be something to prevent or delay service in the Army.

The only sure way to know is to apply (as 3pd says) and have a medical. They will look at your specific circumstances and make a determination. If your anexoria delays service, they will advise how long you would have to wait before another application. In the meantime, research the role(s) you're interested in e.g. Linguist. You are likely to find similar roles in all 3 armed services, but all are also likely to have similar medical criteria.

Good luck, and I hope you can achieve your ambitions.

Ikky

Hi

The only way to be certain is to submit an application, it will all be looked at during your medical, that's why it's part of the process.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

@Drewski
Reply 5
If you were applying to join the Navy, it's highly likely that your medical situation would be referred for review by the SMO(SE) (Senior Medical Officer Service Entry).

I'm intrigued by your choice of potential jobs.

Which languages are you planning to offer and at what level?

Hey,
I am currently in sort of a similar situation as yourself, not an ED, something different.
What I have found is that if you want to go into the forces, there are some certain illnesses that may completely stop you as soon as possible, I'm not entirely sure if a past ED would.
What I do know is that if you are currently taking any medication and want to apply in the next 2-3 years, you will need to come off of it ASAP, as far as I'm aware they won't take you if you are taking any prescribed medication for a long period of time i.e. Sertraline.

If your doctor will change your ED to 'in remission' I believe you may have a higher chance of getting in, the longer it's been in remission, the higher your chances.
This is what I am hoping for anyway as being in the forces is a lifelong dream of mine.
If it is yours I hope that you succeed with it! :smile:
Apply and see if they bring it up just be honest, it’s better to try then be stuck wondering what have you got to lose.
Original post by Kerzen
If you were applying to join the Navy, it's highly likely that your medical situation would be referred for review by the SMO(SE) (Senior Medical Officer Service Entry).

I'm intrigued by your choice of potential jobs.

Which languages are you planning to offer and at what level?

I was planning on joining after uni, so Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
Reply 9
Original post by Scarlettseaman1
Hey,
I am currently in sort of a similar situation as yourself, not an ED, something different.
What I have found is that if you want to go into the forces, there are some certain illnesses that may completely stop you as soon as possible, I'm not entirely sure if a past ED would.
What I do know is that if you are currently taking any medication and want to apply in the next 2-3 years, you will need to come off of it ASAP, as far as I'm aware they won't take you if you are taking any prescribed medication for a long period of time i.e. Sertraline.

If your doctor will change your ED to 'in remission' I believe you may have a higher chance of getting in, the longer it's been in remission, the higher your chances.
This is what I am hoping for anyway as being in the forces is a lifelong dream of mine.
If it is yours I hope that you succeed with it! :smile:

You should only come off medication under medical supervision, nor should you try to get the status of a condition changed to try and join the Armed Forces; why do you think a doctor would lie about it? Application paperwork is signed by a candidate as being to the best of their knowledge, and submitting incorrect information can result in the application being permanently stopped.

Every case is different and will be considered if someone makes an application. What you are suggesting is not a blanket solution, and is not based on any formal knowledge, as you say you are 'aware' or 'believe'. Yes, there are conditions that prevent you joining and there are very serious reasons for that; it can put lives at risk, including yours and your colleagues.
One thing worth mentioning is that all of the above advice is relevant for roles in the armed forces.

Other intelligence-type roles in the civil sectors, like the security services, don't have the same medical restrictions.
Original post by Surnia
You should only come off medication under medical supervision, nor should you try to get the status of a condition changed to try and join the Armed Forces; why do you think a doctor would lie about it? Application paperwork is signed by a candidate as being to the best of their knowledge, and submitting incorrect information can result in the application being permanently stopped.

Every case is different and will be considered if someone makes an application. What you are suggesting is not a blanket solution, and is not based on any formal knowledge, as you say you are 'aware' or 'believe'. Yes, there are conditions that prevent you joining and there are very serious reasons for that; it can put lives at risk, including yours and your colleagues.

Obviously I mean under supervision and I never said to get the status changed, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was that when fully recovered from the ED, get the doctor to change the status of the illness to 'in remission'. That way it is not gone, but is not active.
I never said a doctor would lie about it?
Yes, 'aware' or 'believe' as I'm not a careers officer and am only giving advice I know to be true, people are asking for opinions and advice, not concrete solutions.
I know it sounds awful but I won't see a gp from now on unless it's absolutely necessary after getting bit in the ass and barred from clinical trials when i was desperate for money. (Tried sorting out the horrible depression I had from years of abuse).
Reply 13
Obviously I mean under supervision and I never said to get the status changed, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was that when fully recovered from the ED, get the doctor to change the status of the illness to 'in remission'. That way it is not gone, but is not active.
I never said a doctor would lie about it?
Yes, 'aware' or 'believe' as I'm not a careers officer and am only giving advice I know to be true, people are asking for opinions and advice, not concrete solutions.

And what is your advice based on?

The only people who can make a judgement of fitness for the Armed Forces are the Services' own medical professionals who have sight of a candudate's medical records; that is why the advice given on here is to make an application and see what happens, and nothing else, certainly not anything abut being clear of medication or that an 'inactive' condition is acceptable.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Surnia
And what is your advice based on?

The only people who can make a judgement of fitness for the Armed Forces are the Services' own medical.professionals who have sight of a candudate's medical records; that is why the advice given on here is to make an application and see what happens, and nothing else, certainly not anything abut being clear of medication or that an 'inactive' condition is acceptable.

Okay, my bad.
I will never ever ever give advice ever again on any Armed Forces forum ever again Surnia Thankyou!
How about you tell everyone not to ask for advice on here as they are not allowed as they get big idiots like me commenting!
Reply 15
Okay, my bad.
I will never ever ever give advice ever again on any Armed Forces forum ever again Surnia Thankyou!
How about you tell everyone not to ask for advice on here as they are not allowed as they get big idiots like me commenting!

People are welcome to ask for advice on here and there is nothing wrong with providing a response so long as it has basis in fact and is safe for people to follow. However, that should never replace the use of official military sources for obtaining accurate and current information for particular situations.

Here, a person's medical condition cannot be assessed online, and certainly not by someone without training and knowledge. Therefore it is not appropriate to be asking people to post details on here of how many episodes of an illness they have suffered, or to make suggestions on medication.

That is why those of us on TSR who have served or are serving will never give specific advice on medical suitability other than certain conditions will preclude entry, being fit in normal life does not make you fit to join up, and the only way to know for certain is to make an application. This is because every application is judged on a case-by-case basis and the only people qualified to assess the medical condition of a candidate are the medical professionals, either the doctors during selection or the Review Board during an appeal. They are qualified to do so, and have sight of both the medical records and the Services' medical policy, which states the standards required.
Original post by Surnia
People are welcome to ask for advice on here and there is nothing wrong with providing a response so long as it has basis in fact and is safe for people to follow. However, that should never replace the use of official military sources for obtaining accurate and current information for particular situations.

Here, a person's medical condition cannot be assessed online, and certainly not by someone without training and knowledge. Therefore it is not appropriate to be asking people to post details on here of how many episodes of an illness they have suffered, or to make suggestions on medication.

That is why those of us on TSR who have served or are serving will never give specific advice on medical suitability other than certain conditions will preclude entry, being fit in normal life does not make you fit to join up, and the only way to know for certain is to make an application. This is because every application is judged on a case-by-case basis and the only people qualified to assess the medical condition of a candidate are the medical professionals, either the doctors during selection or the Review Board during an appeal. They are qualified to do so, and have sight of both the medical records and the Services' medical policy, which states the standards required.

We should have that last paragraph saved as a standard response...
Okay, my bad.

Hi

For all armed forces applications the medical you take is the find out point. No amount of advice given on any forum by anyone over rules the specific service medical requirements. It doesn't matter what changes are put on any medical records, your entire medical history is looked at to make sure you're fit for service. It's not abut whether one persons advice is better than another, it's what's based in fact on what a person has to go through for entry.

Also note, many of the people offering advice on this particular forum are either current or former recruiters, so their answers are based on what they know for fact.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 18
I was planning on joining after uni, so Mandarin Chinese and Spanish

Ah, I see.

I'm a linguist by profession. I noticed that you said that you were thinking that you could be an Army translator/MI5 translator. I would advise you to spread your net much more widely and to also be aware that jobs which only require you to sit at a desk and translate are rarer than you think. As far as the Armed Forces are concerned, it would help you to know that a pure translation job doesn't really exist, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people serving who are making very good use of high level language skills. They combine these skills with other ones such as analysis. This also applies to the second job you have mentioned and I would suggest that you acquaint yourself with GCHQ and its requirements.

If you should ever have the opportunity to learn some Russian, you should give it a try, you would find that useful.

By the way, sometimes GCHQ recruits people who cross-train into another language.

Here are a couple of interesting links for you.

https://languagecareers.un.org/dgacm/Langs.nsf/home.xsp

https://recruitmentservices.applicationtrack.com/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-5/user-688678/xf-84375eff6cb2/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/4/opp/2041-Mandarin-Chinese-Language-Opportunities-Ref-2041/en-GB

Quick Reply

Latest