The Student Room Group

Why do women prefer dating guys who are more powerful than them?

I think there's a general trend women want to date guys who make more money than them, who are taller than them, who are older and a bit more mature than them.

As a guy I don't understand this because I personally go for partners who make less money than I do and who are younger and more innocent than I am and shorter because it makes me feel like I'm powerful and strong and capable of protecting her.

So why is it like that for a lot of women, what's the mentality?
Not sure. Maybe it’s some innate biological reason that’s just nature, hence we can’t explain why we’re attracted to it. It’s instinct
Reply 2
You think it's a trend and like that for a lot of women. Is that based on anything other than your opinion?
I really don’t care about how much money they make. Maybe that’s just me though
Reply 4
I don’t think it’s necessarily the protection of it but there’s certainly something attractive about a man who had drive, ambition, a career and that can do well for himself. I think whilst being in a relationship, you still should have some independence and ability to look after yourself and not be fully reliant on your partner.

I’ve dated guys who are happy to do very little and expect life to owe them something, to have me pay for things or be the ‘provider’ whilst they sit about doing nothing. It’s really demoralising and disrespectful at times.

Obviously if circumstances meant that I was to take on the financial responsibility or that key provider role, of course you would if you were able to but it’s certainly give and take.
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
You think it's a trend and like that for a lot of women. Is that based on anything other than your opinion?

I mean there are many women specifically looking for guys bigger taller and more mature than her, but very few women specifically searching for guys smaller shorter and making less money than her
That’s more of a male problem
Attraction and dating preferences vary from individual to individual.
Hypergamy, hypogamy and isogamy probably all play a part in close relationship decisions.

Some women prefer not to date less affluent shorter guys who are younger and immature.
Other women have different dating preferences for example: those who prefer immature prankster guys and those who deliberately 'date down' to retain all the power in the relationship.
I like men who are physically bigger than me. That can be wider not specifically taller. I like to be able to cuddle into them and use them as pillows. It's comfy.
Original post by sinfonietta
I like men who are physically bigger than me. That can be wider not specifically taller. I like to be able to cuddle into them and use them as pillows. It's comfy.

l understand and you like your comfy pillows and you like to cuddle into them and hear the heartbeat lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending