The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Tenancy Agreement

Can I cite Frustration on a tenancy contract ( due to covid-19 & and lectures online and moving back to London) I haven’t moved into and is due to commence in September?
Original post by Capro
Can I cite Frustration on a tenancy contract ( due to covid-19 & and lectures online and moving back to London) I haven’t moved into and is due to commence in September?

There is a lot of debate about tenancies at the moment, lot of hopeful students.

It always comes down to the tenancy agreement and the fact you know about frustration, shows you know enough to be able to look it up.
Imo it is not frustration because the event hasnt happened as you havent moved in and you havent been denied access to the property.

I dont think it amounts to frustration as you arent being denied access to the property.

https://www.simmons-simmons.com/en/publications/ck0ac4hd1n8ji0b33jbjfratc/290419-developments-in-contract-frustration

Talk to the LL, but one good thing about NTU is that there seems to be a shortage of NTU official accommodation so you might find a replacement.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Frustration is an English contract law doctrine that acts as a device to set aside contracts where an unforeseen event either renders contractual obligations impossible, or radically changes the party's principal purpose for entering into the contract.
It has nothing to do with being denied access to the property.
Original post by Capro
Frustration is an English contract law doctrine that acts as a device to set aside contracts where an unforeseen event either renders contractual obligations impossible, or radically changes the party's principal purpose for entering into the contract.
It has nothing to do with being denied access to the property.

When is the tenancy start date?

Your obligation is to pay the rent. Your landlord's is to let you use the flat. Are either of these obligations effected by coronavirus?
Reply 4
Original post by charlesjtwhite
When is the tenancy start date?

Your obligation is to pay the rent. Your landlord's is to let you use the flat. Are either of these obligations effected by coronavirus?

The tenancy start date is September 1st. I’m just concerned that if the uni decided that we continue with online lectures (due to Covid-19) there would be no point in me being in Nottingham.
There were reports just yesterday in the news that we would still need to observe social distancing until October and possibly longer and if this were the case then the uni would be closed and online lectures a definite.
Original post by Capro

Hey @Capro, please see the NTU website for the latest updates, https://www.ntu.ac.uk/coronavirus. Hope this helps? Thanks, Ellie :smile:
As a student currently studying at NTU and living in halls, I may be able to help you - I have contacted UPP directly to help me with a few questions RE: coronavirus and being away from the residence.

Question - I have logged myself as 'Out of residence'. Will this affect whether I can leave my belongings in the halls until the end of my contract?
Answer - You will be able to collect your belongings when it is safe to do so and doesn’t go against government guidelines.

Question - If I am able to leave my belongings in the halls, will I still have to pay the 3rd semester payment if I've left the halls?
Answer - You will need to contact NTU directly regarding payments, you can email them at [email protected]

Question - When will my contract end? (I'm living in Peverell)
Answer - Your contract ends on 24th July 2020

Question - Will I be able to come back to my halls if circumstances allow it?
Answer - When the government lift the restrictions, you will be able to come back to your halls

Question - What is happening to the post (letters) of people who are out of halls? - I may be getting one from the hospital due to the current coronavirus circumstances.

Answer - Post is still being delivered, if it needs redirecting you need to contact the sender or if it is too late contact your halls of residence

It has been publicly posted that if we are not living in the halls for third semester due to coronavirus, we needn't pay for them. I'm frustrated that the people running the halls have redirected me to NTU accommodation services - I'm going to readdress some questions with them and hope they can answer them for me. If you would like me to ask questions about what will be happening with regards to accommodation in first semester next year, I can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending