The Student Room Group

Coronavirus: scared to go to work....

Hey guys,

As you know the whole nation and rest of the world are going through this horrible pandemic with the coronavirus & I'm still expected to go to work.

I work at a huge sainsburys 4 days a week and I usually work in the bakery but I've been sent to the shop floor recently - I just feel uncomfortable because I'm exposed to a lot of customers & other colleagues that may have the virus.
Don't know what security are playing at but they are allowing more customers in the store than there should be.....
I've been working last week & have worn a mask and gloves (still feel like they're not protecting me as much. Can't even breathe with my mask on so I take it off). However, whilst working through different aisles there are a lot of customers. Everyone is not following the social distancing rule so I just feel so anxious.

I've called in sick yesterday & my next shift is on Thursday. What should I do?
Also.... I was supposed to leave for good last Monday which is such a coincidence as this is when the shutdown rules were being enforced. However, my manager asked if I wanted to stay and I said yes due to still having a job and still getting paid but I'm starting to regret this.
Having a job and income is nice and all but my health comes first.

What should I do guys?
Would appreciate some feedback please thank u :smile:
Original post by beyhive1
Hey guys,

As you know the whole nation and rest of the world are going through this horrible pandemic with the coronavirus & I'm still expected to go to work.

I work at a huge sainsburys 4 days a week and I usually work in the bakery but I've been sent to the shop floor recently - I just feel uncomfortable because I'm exposed to a lot of customers & other colleagues that may have the virus.
Don't know what security are playing at but they are allowing more customers in the store than there should be.....
I've been working last week & have worn a mask and gloves (still feel like they're not protecting me as much. Can't even breathe with my mask on so I take it off). However, whilst working through different aisles there are a lot of customers. Everyone is not following the social distancing rule so I just feel so anxious.

Also.... I was supposed to leave for good last Monday which is such a coincidence as this is when the shutdown rules were being enforced. However, my manager asked if I wanted to stay and I said yes due to still having a job and still getting paid but I'm starting to regret this.

What should I do guys?

Just say u want to self-isolate ur allowed the government promotes self-isolation! Plus u are not a key worker ur allowed to self-isolate!!
Original post by Anonymous.12345
Just say u want to self-isolate ur allowed the government promotes self-isolation! Plus u are not a key worker ur allowed to self-isolate!!

Let me know how everything goes!
Reply 3
Are you or anyone you live with at greater risk? If yes then stay home. If not, decide how much you want the income.

No workplace is going to follow the social distancing rules perfectly, especially in a shop where you have to hunt for items yourself. Your boss won't be able to guarantee that, and actually seems to have been pretty good to an employee who had decided to quit.
Hey guys,

What should I do guys?

You are at higher risk of picking up the virus by virtue of working with the public. How much of a risk do you perceive that to be? Have you taken all the steps you can to minimise your exposure? Do you need the money, or is it just 'nice'? Were you to get the virus, are you young and fit and at very low risk of complications? Who do you live with, and are they at greater risk?

You need to weigh these factors up to arrive at a decision.
Original post by ThomH97
Are you or anyone you live with at greater risk? If yes then stay home. If not, decide how much you want the income.

No workplace is going to follow the social distancing rules perfectly, especially in a shop where you have to hunt for items yourself. Your boss won't be able to guarantee that, and actually seems to have been pretty good to an employee who had decided to

Original post by Anonymous.12345

That's what I'm thinking but is the self-isolation period usually 7 or 14 days?
Original post by ThomH97

No workplace is going to follow the social distancing rules perfectly, especially in a shop where you have to hunt for items yourself. Your boss won't be able to guarantee that, and actually seems to have been pretty good to an employee who had decided to quit.

Yes my mum is. Only reason why my manager asked me was because a very nosy colleague of mine asked him for me when I specifically told her that I was thinking about it lol (anyway that's a whole other story lol).
Original post by Reality Check
You are at higher risk of picking up the virus by virtue of working with the public. How much of a risk do you perceive that to be? Have you taken all the steps you can to minimise your exposure? Do you need the money, or is it just 'nice'? Were you to get the virus, are you young and fit and at very low risk of complications? Who do you live with, and are they at greater risk?

You need to weigh these factors up to arrive at a decision.

A high risk when on the shop floor and I've tried to reduce it by wearing a face mask and latex gloves when on the shop floor. I don't need the money as I don't live alone.
Reply 8
Yes my mum is. Only reason why my manager asked me was because a very nosy colleague of mine asked him for me when I specifically told her that I was thinking about it lol (anyway that's a whole other story lol).

Stay home for the sake of your mum then.

It's still a good thing for your manager to offer you the chance to change your mind. Tell him it's because of your mum rather than you blaming him for the customers.
That's what I'm thinking but is the self-isolation period usually 7 or 14 days?

3 months if ur considered vulnerable and u have the symptoms. Even if it’s for a week u should not work focus on ur mental health

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending