The Student Room Group

What does it mean when a guy needs space

My boyfriend recently told me he needed space, he ignores all my messages even though he is online on Instagram 24/7. He occasionally messages me every couple of days to tell me he doesn’t wanna hurt me or that he is thinking about me, but then when I reply he continues to ignore me again. Wtf does this mean?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It means he needs space.
So give him space.
We men are simple creatures. When we say we need space, it's because we need space. Literally all there is to it.
He needs space from you specifically. So he's not going to answer your messages even if he is online and talking to other people.
What has the relationship been like?
Reply 4
Original post by otah007
It means he needs space.
So give him space.
We men are simple creatures. When we say we need space, it's because we need space. Literally all there is to it.

Yes, but I mean, what could be some reasons a guy needs space in a relationship?
Reply 5
Original post by YaliaV
What has the relationship been like?

We’ve been dating for 3 years, relationship has been great. Not so great these last couple of weeks but nothing terrible, then suddenly after an argument he switched up on me saying he needed space
Original post by Anonymous
We’ve been dating for 3 years, relationship has been great. Not so great these last couple of weeks but nothing terrible, then suddenly after an argument he switched up on me saying he needed space

What was the argument about?
Yes, but I mean, what could be some reasons a guy needs space in a relationship?

It usually means we've moved on to other people to be frank.

It's nothing deep, he just probably needed some space because he was too close to the issue you both argued about. He needs to step back and away from the issue to think or to be in his own head, away from whatever the issue was.

If the last couple of weeks have been that great, he probably just needs some "me time" to recollect himself.
It's nothing deep, he just probably needed some space because he was too close to the issue you both argued about. He needs to step back and away from the issue to think or to be in his own head, away from whatever the issue was.

If the last couple of weeks have been that great, he probably just needs some "me time" to recollect himself.

Usually when a guy says he needs space.. well lets say if you typed in Just Be friends - G Eazy on youtube. He's exploring on his time out!
Original post by ecofriendlyduck
What was the argument about?

Quite a stupid one, I was worrying about him going to work and getting coronavirus and he was saying he’d be fine and we both got heated and the argument got out of proportion.
It usually means we've moved on to other people to be frank.

If he’s moved onto other people why doesn’t he break up instead of saying he needs space ?
Quite a stupid one, I was worrying about him going to work and getting coronavirus and he was saying he’d be fine and we both got heated and the argument got out of proportion.

Oh, that is a stupid argument. I get you, it's valid for you to be concerned - but it's stupid that you two ended up arguing over it.

For now, I would suggest giving him a little bit of time. It could be that with the current situation he's stressed and would rather not have the weight of a relationship on his mind for a little while until he can recollect himself. However, brace yourself in case he decides space isn't enough for him.

I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
If he’s moved onto other people why doesn’t he break up instead of saying he needs space ?

I'm not saying It's 100% that btw.

But usually it's to keep you as a backup in case things go wrong with the other person. Why else would you a 3 year relationship end up like this? I've seen many break ups in this way too.
I think this means that at some point your relationship developed very quickly, and now he needs a little time and space to realize this.

He is not certain perhaps, or wants to let you down gently. It's not unusual for people to use language that is less than want they actually want- for example 'we weren't consulted' being used as a way of saying you object to something, instead of objecting straight away.
'Space' in a relationship is important, but usually it just means going off to do your own thing, i.e. having different hobbies, going to see your friends, or spending a few hours in the evening with one of you gaming and the other watching tele .. or something like that.

It shouldn't mean ignoring you while clearly still talking to other people, because that then indicates that it's not 'space' that he needs, rather 'space from you', which is never a good sign in what should be a healthy relationship.

I see a lot of people saying you shouldn't get obsessed with having to talk to your partner every single day, but I disagree. Okay, so some days you'll both be busier than others, but I honestly think that if you have a partner, saying good morning/good night at the very least is important if the relationship is going to last. That doesn't mean you have to speak continuously through the day, but contact of some kind is still important.

If he can switch off from you - or feels like he needs to do so - then what's the point?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
'Space' in a relationship is important, but usually it just means going off to do your own thing, i.e. having different hobbies, going to see your friends, or spending a few hours in the evening with one of you gaming and the other watching tele .. or something like that.

It shouldn't mean ignoring you while clearly still talking to other people, because that then indicates that it's not 'space' that he needs, rather 'space from you', which is never a good sign in what should be a healthy relationship.

I see a lot of people saying you shouldn't get obsessed with having to talk to your partner every single day, but I disagree. Okay, so some days you'll both be busier than others, but I honestly think that if you have a partner, saying good morning/good night at the very least is important if the relationship is going to last. That doesn't mean you have to speak continuously through the day, but contact of some kind is still important.

If he can switch off from you - or feels like he needs to do so - then what's the point?

He told me he just needed to not speak to me for a couple days because the constant arguing was driving him crazy. But it’s been over a week and we haven’t had a proper conversation yet so I’m getting slightly worried now :/

You messaging him too much or being too overprotective?
I completely understand him taking space after an argument, guys tend to hate arguing more than women (sorry to sound sexist but from the people ik and my experiences that seems to be true) however to take a week space for one argument that wasn't even that big of a deal seems a little extreme... how had the relationship been going recently?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending