The Student Room Group

Access courses aren’t an option anymore

Due to the current law where you have to be in some form of education up to the age of 18 in the UK Access courses don’t seem to be an option as you have to be doing something even if you choose to leave after year 1 of your course. Does anyone know anyone who is studying an access course right now even given the current law? Access courses are for people who have left school without qualifications to go to uni.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anon462654
Due to the current law where you have to be in some form of education up to the age of 18 in the UK Access courses don’t seem to be an option as you have to be doing something even if you choose to leave after year 1 of your course. Does anyone know anyone who is studying an access course right now even given the current law. Access courses are for people who have left school without qualifications to go to uni.

Access courses are also for thise returning after long breaks. They definitely still have their place. Your also discounting people who are 17 and just completing their GCSE. Your also not thinking about the fact, that often rules aren't enforced... I promise you there is unfortunately a 17 yr old somewhere doing NEET. (not in education or training).
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Access courses are also for thise returning after long breaks. They definitely still have their place. Your also discounting people who are 17 and just completing their GCSE. Your also not thinking about the fact, that often rules aren't enforced... I promise you there is unfortunately a 17 yr old somewhere doing NEET. (not in education or training).

I know there are 17 year olds studying GCSEs but I thought after that they have to study either a btec, A level or an apprenticeship? Access is for 19+. How long do 17 year olds study GCSEs for at a college?

I know I was a NEET myself after 1 year of A level due to health reasons at 17 and I am now 19. I was offered other new fun short courses after I dropped out of A levels (despite Child protection officer saying he can’t make me come back for A levels) but I chose not to enrol for them. My neighbour wasn’t in education from the age of 14 due to mental health issues and Then studied functional skills and worked towards GCSEs with a tutor one on one for an hour and a half each week, after 16 that was it for her, she got married at 17 turning 18. Another person stopped attending secondary school midway due to health problems and that was it for her. There’s others I know who got pregnant at 16 and got married, and at age 17 too and others have severe learning disabilities so didn’t go to secondary school, so if you have reasons like that then I guess you’re let off.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anon462654
I know there are 17 year olds studying GCSEs but I thought after that they have to study either a btec, A level or an apprenticeship? Access is for 19+. How long do 17 year olds study GCSEs for at a college?

I know I was a NEET myself after 1 year of A level due to health reasons at 17 and I am now 19. I was offered other new fun short courses after I dropped out of A levels (despite Child protection officer saying he can’t make me come back for A levels) but I chose not to enrol for them. My neighbour wasn’t in education from the age of 14 due to mental health issues and Then studied functional skills and worked towards GCSEs with a tutor one on one for an hour and a half each week, after 16 that was it for her, she got married at 17 turning 18. Another person stopped attending secondary school midway due to health problems and that was it for her. There’s others I know who got pregnant at 16 and got married, and at age 17 too and others have severe learning disabilities so didn’t go to secondary school, so if you have reasons like that then I guess you’re let off.

I mean i finished highschool at 17 (American A level) but a lower level... Returned at 26...did my A level foundation in UK in 9 month's.. Then went to Nottingham University.. And now I'm graduating....start my Master's in September at a Dutch research university... 😂 You can always go back to school ya know. Hell when i was your age and 17 i was burnt out i was like this is dumb, i appreciate it much more later in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending