The Student Room Group

If I am in a calorie deficit, does it matter what these calories are made up of

At the moment I am eating 1500 calories a day to lose 7 pounds (not putting myself under any time pressure to lose these 7 pounds by) 80% of the day I eat well, salads, fruits, porridge, veggies, meat etcBut 20% of the day I’ll have a chocolate barWill I still lose weight if I stick to 1500 whilst still enjoying food I love every day?
Reply 1
You can, but from a 'health' perspective it's advised you make it as balanced as possible. In other words, moderation is key.
Reply 2
Yes you will still lose weight if you have a chocolate bar and it's also good for you to treat yourself so you can do keep up your diet. You could try chopping it into pieces as that makes it seem like there's more of it, so you eat less of it. You wouldn't want 1500 calories made up of bad stuff because there are other issues such as insulin spiking from high glucose foods (which will make you store fat rather than burn it) and deep fried and processed stuff being generally very unhealthy for you in lots of ways. But your diet sounds healthy to me.
Original post by elhunt1995
At the moment I am eating 1500 calories a day to lose 7 pounds (not putting myself under any time pressure to lose these 7 pounds by) 80% of the day I eat well, salads, fruits, porridge, veggies, meat etcBut 20% of the day I’ll have a chocolate barWill I still lose weight if I stick to 1500 whilst still enjoying food I love every day?

Yes of course - and what you're proposing is a rare example of sensible dieting - TSR tends to like extremes and fads.

It's perfectly acceptable to have a bit of chocolate or confectionery as part of a healthy balanced diet. Maybe not all the time, but every now and again certainly :smile:
Yes. You’ll always lose weight if you’re in calorie deficit.
As has already been said, if the majority of your intake is healthy then treats are not a problem.
Healthy food generally, but not always, has lower calories per 100g so you can eat plenty and feel full.
Don’t feel bad about your chocolate! What you’re doing sounds fine
Yes, absolutely.

Quick Reply

Latest