The Student Room Group

Maximum tuition fee on SFE website too low for distance learning.

Hi, I'm applying for a distance learning degree from the Open University (BSc (Hons) Computing and IT) and I've come up against a problem with funding.

The government website shows a maximum loan of £6,935 for tuition fees per year.

My course has modules I can take worth 30 credits each for £1,548 each.
The course can be taken part-time (60 credits per year) or full time (120 credits per year.

I hope to take 90 credits per year (if they let me).

The problem is that SFEs online application says:
"Open University have told us your tuition fee this year is £3,096. Is this correct?"
This would be correct for part-time at 60 credits, but not for 90 or 120 credits.
So I selected no and put in £4644.

But in the application it says:
"Tuition Fee Loan
This will be paid directly to Open University and you can apply for a maximum of £3,096"

Why is £3,096 the maximum?

I wondered whether it was because they don't accept in between part-time and full-time, only one or the other; so I went back and selected 3 years (full-time amount).

Still, it says: "Open University have told us your tuition fee this year is £3,096. Is this correct?"

And regardless of what I put in the box (£6,192 for full-time), it says "you can apply for a maximum of £3,096".

Is £3,096 the max for distance learning, or is this simply a standard amount provided for most students (Most OU students study 60 credits a year), and can be overridden?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Daniel
Original post by BeADan
Hi, I'm applying for a distance learning degree from the Open University (BSc (Hons) Computing and IT) and I've come up against a problem with funding.

The government website shows a maximum loan of £6,935 for tuition fees per year.

My course has modules I can take worth 30 credits each for £1,548 each.
The course can be taken part-time (60 credits per year) or full time (120 credits per year.

I hope to take 90 credits per year (if they let me).

The problem is that SFEs online application says:
"Open University have told us your tuition fee this year is £3,096. Is this correct?"
This would be correct for part-time at 60 credits, but not for 90 or 120 credits.
So I selected no and put in £4644.

But in the application it says:
"Tuition Fee Loan
This will be paid directly to Open University and you can apply for a maximum of £3,096"

Why is £3,096 the maximum?

I wondered whether it was because they don't accept in between part-time and full-time, only one or the other; so I went back and selected 3 years (full-time amount).

Still, it says: "Open University have told us your tuition fee this year is £3,096. Is this correct?"

And regardless of what I put in the box (£6,192 for full-time), it says "you can apply for a maximum of £3,096".

Is £3,096 the max for distance learning, or is this simply a standard amount provided for most students (Most OU students study 60 credits a year), and can be overridden?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Daniel

Good morning,
It will only let you apply for one module when submitting your application. Once you have submitted this your university will then send us an update to confirm how many modules you are going to complete.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Good morning,
It will only let you apply for one module when submitting your application. Once you have submitted this your university will then send us an update to confirm how many modules you are going to complete.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for your response, yes I got the same advice from the OU.

It's not very clear at all on the website. I was advised to apply for the max amount and select the option to allow student finance to automatically raise/lower the amount based on the figures the university gives them, then the Open University will tell them the correct amount for the year when all of my modules are registered and it will be updated automatically.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending