The Student Room Group

The Housing Register (Social Housing) - My Question ...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Any other help or information ?

Get a job and pay for a place instead of expecting to get somewhere to live for free. You are not special, that's what other people your age do.
Any other help or information ?

You need to go to the website and see what the rules are for your local authority. Have you ever bothered to do that?
Getting on the register is one thing, being offered a place is another.
You do not sound as though you would be in need that many others would be.
You can also try your local housing associations.
The local authority is not under a duty to house you.
Presumably you are a UK citizen?

In any event because its London then there is very little housing stock available.

If you need further advice then ask the TSR community team, CAB or Shelter.
Original post by black tea
Get a job and pay for a place instead of expecting to get somewhere to live for free. You are not special, that's what other people your age do.

Thank you for this.
With respect .. how do you know I am 'not special' though ? I do not think you really know me all that much. No offence. And yes, maybe that's not very modest of me, but still. And .. maybe EVERYONE is special, in a way ?
Again, with respect, I am not sure I want to do everything OTHER people do, or everything that other people MY AGE do. I want to do some things MY way, you see.
That is a conventional method of course. And, failing everything else, maybe that will be the only way to go about it. If I do remain in this country of course .. which is very much in doubt.
But for now ... why shouldn't I expect to get somewhere to live for free ? You mention OTHER PEOPLE. Do at least some OTHER people not live anywhere for FREE ?
If there is a suitable alternative, such as a free accommodation, why shouldn't I use that, or at least, EXPLORE that option, rather than ruling it out, without having fully explored and tried it, if that is available to me ?
Plus .. renting is quite expensive here in London. A BIG THANKS to the management of life in the UK, by the governments. I would mention the more recent Conservative governments, in that regard. Unless maybe I use a shared accommodation, or things like that.
Questions, questions ..
Original post by 999tigger
You need to go to the website and see what the rules are for your local authority. Have you ever bothered to do that?
Getting on the register is one thing, being offered a place is another.
You do not sound as though you would be in need that many others would be.
You can also try your local housing associations.
The local authority is not under a duty to house you.
Presumably you are a UK citizen?

In any event because its London then there is very little housing stock available.

If you need further advice then ask the TSR community team, CAB or Shelter.

Wow .. thank you very much for that Tigger. Lots of information.
No I do not think I ever explored the rules for my local authority. I might do that, yes.
Yes indeed, I am a UK citizen.
Thank you for this.
With respect .. how do you know I am 'not special' though ? I do not think you really know me all that much. No offence. And yes, maybe that's not very modest of me, but still. And .. maybe EVERYONE is special, in a way ?
Again, with respect, I am not sure I want to do everything OTHER people do, or everything that other people MY AGE do. I want to do some things MY way, you see.
That is a conventional method of course. And, failing everything else, maybe that will be the only way to go about it. If I do remain in this country of course .. which is very much in doubt.
But for now ... why shouldn't I expect to get somewhere to live for free ? You mention OTHER PEOPLE. Do at least some OTHER people not live anywhere for FREE ?
If there is a suitable alternative, such as a free accommodation, why shouldn't I use that, or at least, EXPLORE that option, rather than ruling it out, without having fully explored and tried it, if that is available to me ?
Plus .. renting is quite expensive here in London. A BIG THANKS to the management of life in the UK, by the governments. I would mention the more recent Conservative governments, in that regard. Unless maybe I use a shared accommodation, or things like that.
Questions, questions ..

You stated that you were described as young, healthy male - so from a need for a free house point of view, you are not special. Why can't you earn a living and pay for somewhere to live? The people who live for free generally either come from very wealthy backgrounds or have extenuating circumstances that make them eligible for free housing. London is not the only place in the UK - have you considered moving to somewhere you might be able to afford renting? And yes, shared accommodation is an option.

People have previously given you suggestions on how to explore the option. of free housing - have you spoken to Citizen's Advice or Shelter?
No I do not think I ever explored the rules for my local authority.

You haven't even bothered to do this very basic research?! lol
You stated that you were described as young, healthy male - so from a need for a free house point of view, you are not special. Why can't you earn a living and pay for somewhere to live? The people who live for free generally either come from very wealthy backgrounds or have extenuating circumstances that make them eligible for free housing. London is not the only place in the UK - have you considered moving to somewhere you might be able to afford renting? And yes, shared accommodation is an option.

People have previously given you suggestions on how to explore the option. of free housing - have you spoken to Citizen's Advice or Shelter?

Thank you.
Yes, I was described as a young healthy male. But that was back in 2012, we have 2020 now.
And the lady adviser that described me so .. did she perform a thorough medical examination on me (no disrespect to her) ? No - she didn't. She likely ONLY based that description on what I may have told her or what I answered to her questions.
If I state I am NOT healthy, surely the authorities will require some sort of EVIDENCE from me ? Correct ? Yet .. if I state that I AM a healthy male - I will just be believed at my word ? No offence to YOU .. but in general .. isn't that DOUBLE standards, no ?..
Why can't I earn a living ? I can. But firstly, a job may be difficult to get, secondly some jobs may not pay enough for renting, etc ...
Yes, I did consider moving outside of London, to afford renting. But the availability of JOBS is obviously likely to be more limited outside of London, than IN London. So .. the employment issue. Not just employment for housing, but for earning in general.
I haven't yet contacted either Citizen's Advice or Sheter, regarding this issue. Guilty ! I plan to contact Shelter soon though.
Thank you.
Yes, I was described as a young healthy male. But that was back in 2012, we have 2020 now.
And the lady adviser that described me so .. did she perform a thorough medical examination on me (no disrespect to her) ? No - she didn't. She likely ONLY based that description on what I may have told her or what I answered to her questions.
If I state I am NOT healthy, surely the authorities will require some sort of EVIDENCE from me ? Correct ? Yet .. if I state that I AM a healthy male - I will just be believed at my word ? No offence to YOU .. but in general .. isn't that DOUBLE standards, no ?..
Why can't I earn a living ? I can. But firstly, a job may be difficult to get, secondly some jobs may not pay enough for renting, etc ...
Yes, I did consider moving outside of London, to afford renting. But the availability of JOBS is obviously likely to be more limited outside of London, than IN London. So .. the employment issue. Not just employment for housing, but for earning in general.
I haven't yet contacted either Citizen's Advice or Sheter, regarding this issue. Guilty ! I plan to contact Shelter soon though.

If you really wanted to get a council house (or a job for that matter), you would actually put some effort into doing so. So far, you have made this thread and not even bothered following any of the advice given to you. Good luck in you search is all I can say. I strongly suspect you will still be living with you parents in 20 years.
Wow .. thank you very much for that Tigger. Lots of information.
No I do not think I ever explored the rules for my local authority. I might do that, yes.
Yes indeed, I am a UK citizen.

Mystified as to why you wouldnt check the rules of how to get onto the register and how it works.....
That way you can understand why you were rejected plus what your chances are of getting on.
They give priority to those in need and you sound like one of the lowest categories.
Original post by 999tigger
Mystified as to why you wouldnt check the rules of how to get onto the register and how it works.....
That way you can understand why you were rejected plus what your chances are of getting on.
They give priority to those in need and you sound like one of the lowest categories.

Indeed. Thank you very much for all your advice and help.
Yes, you are right - I should probably do that and check some sources.
If you really wanted to get a council house (or a job for that matter), you would actually put some effort into doing so. So far, you have made this thread and not even bothered following any of the advice given to you. Good luck in you search is all I can say. I strongly suspect you will still be living with you parents in 20 years.

Thank you for your wishes !
I did make at least SOME effort - please believe me. Both in finding a job, making applications, attending interviews (plus, I worked here for FREE for a number of years (helping a self employed person), and now, in a way, I do so again) AND in getting social housing - completing the application form was in itself quite a task. So I HAVE bothered .. you see.
Please believe me - IF I was actually getting PAID for ALL the work I physically did by now, then I would have definitely earned at least for some renting. But that's a separate story ...
As to not yet following the advice given to me here .. that's true, won't dispute that. My fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending