The Student Room Group

Clearing 2020 help/advice needed!!!

So basically I’m in quite a unique situation. I currently have a deferred place at Durham for a course that wasn’t my first choice. During my gap year i decided to retake an A - Level, for which I got an A*in the ‘non - exam exams’ this year which if i am awarded this grade would bring my overall grades up to A*AA (although obviously this might not be my final grade as it needs to be moderated by exam boards, etc.) I’m going to ask Durham about changing course, I’m not sure if they’ll be more accommodating due to the possibility of losing out on international students this year? But obviously not counting on it as I know Durham can be really strict about these things. In the case that Durham say no to changing, its possible I may not want to go as I’m not sure I could do a course I don’t necessarily want to do. However the thought of letting Durham go and releasing myself into clearing is a scary one, especially as I’m really unsure about clearing this year due to Covid. Does anyone have any idea what clearing will be like this year i.e more or less places? Unis I’m interested in are KCL, Edinburgh (who i know have a really weird clearing system so not counting on them!) and tbh most other Russel groups. I was also going to call unis directly and explain my situation and see what they say, I know they obviously cant make any formal offers but I just want to get an idea of what my situation might be if I let go of my Durham offer. All opinions/help welcome please, really panicking about this as results day is getting closer and closer and i know i need to make a decision!!
Original post by Losenzon99
So basically I’m in quite a unique situation. I currently have a deferred place at Durham for a course that wasn’t my first choice. During my gap year i decided to retake an A - Level, for which I got an A*in the ‘non - exam exams’ this year which if i am awarded this grade would bring my overall grades up to A*AA (although obviously this might not be my final grade as it needs to be moderated by exam boards, etc.) I’m going to ask Durham about changing course, I’m not sure if they’ll be more accommodating due to the possibility of losing out on international students this year? But obviously not counting on it as I know Durham can be really strict about these things. In the case that Durham say no to changing, its possible I may not want to go as I’m not sure I could do a course I don’t necessarily want to do. However the thought of letting Durham go and releasing myself into clearing is a scary one, especially as I’m really unsure about clearing this year due to Covid. Does anyone have any idea what clearing will be like this year i.e more or less places? Unis I’m interested in are KCL, Edinburgh (who i know have a really weird clearing system so not counting on them!) and tbh most other Russel groups. I was also going to call unis directly and explain my situation and see what they say, I know they obviously cant make any formal offers but I just want to get an idea of what my situation might be if I let go of my Durham offer. All opinions/help welcome please, really panicking about this as results day is getting closer and closer and i know i need to make a decision!!

It really depends upon the degree you want to study. Clearing is mostly used to fill up spaces on courses, thus the over subscribed courses such as medicine, dentistry, law and engineering tend not to go through clearing as much. What you are best doing is call the universities you are interested in and ask about their availability.
I understand what you mean by not wanting to do a course you are not interested in, but make sure that you are absolutely sure before withdrawing. Sometimes apprehension may get the best of us.
Reply 2
Original post by Lewis T K
It really depends upon the degree you want to study. Clearing is mostly used to fill up spaces on courses, thus the over subscribed courses such as medicine, dentistry, law and engineering tend not to go through clearing as much. What you are best doing is call the universities you are interested in and ask about their availability.
I understand what you mean by not wanting to do a course you are not interested in, but make sure that you are absolutely sure before withdrawing. Sometimes apprehension may get the best of us.

Thank you for that thats really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending