The Student Room Group

Should I move for my boyfriend

I have been with my boyfriend for nearly two years now, and we are inseparable and crazy in love. The only problem is he is from manchester and I am from Nottingham. I don’t have that many friends but the ones I am making are from Nottingham. I have said from the beginning that since I am at uni in Manchester and enjoy it there I would move to Manchester to be with my boyfriend when I finish uni, however my mum has said she will not support it and will not be a part of my life which is heartbreaking for me as we are very close. My boyfriend will not move to Nottingham as he has younger siblings who he wants to be there for and loves Manchester. I myself really don’t know what to do, I want to have a career in media which is better in Manchester but is it silly to leave budding friendships and family to go to Manchester?
What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have been with my boyfriend for nearly two years now, and we are inseparable and crazy in love. The only problem is he is from manchester and I am from Nottingham. I don’t have that many friends but the ones I am making are from Nottingham. I have said from the beginning that since I am at uni in Manchester and enjoy it there I would move to Manchester to be with my boyfriend when I finish uni, however my mum has said she will not support it and will not be a part of my life which is heartbreaking for me as we are very close. My boyfriend will not move to Nottingham as he has younger siblings who he wants to be there for and loves Manchester. I myself really don’t know what to do, I want to have a career in media which is better in Manchester but is it silly to leave budding friendships and family to go to Manchester?
What should I do?

I'm curious to know why your mother won't be part of your life. Is your family religious? Is your boyfriend looking after his siblings everyday? Both you and your bf will have to compromise and find a middle ground. Even if you both move it's not like you won't see friends or family ever again, in fact, most graduates live far apart from friends yet still keep in contact and see each other often. Take into consideration which location is has better job opportunities; cost of living (both groceries, rent and bills); cost of transport (unless you drive).

I'm also thinking of moving to Manchester from Nottingham with my gf, as there's more job opportunities there. Whilst most of my friends will be mostly in Birmingham, London and Nottingham, we will still be meeting occasionally as they all drive.
What should I do?

Why would your mum not want to stay close to you?

I had a similar dilemma, I'm also from Nottingham and bf was in London- had always said I would love to move to London :lol: but then had doubts because it's a big decision. Anyway I moved down, i didn't have friends in Notts anyway so had nothing to lose. I hear people in Manchester are super friendly so no doubt you will make friends there too :smile: and your bf will introduce you to the people in his life.

If you give more info about the situation with your mum it would be helpful to advise :smile:
You posted this yesterday , just read that thread.
Reply 4
Why would your mum not want to stay close to you?

I had a similar dilemma, I'm also from Nottingham and bf was in London- had always said I would love to move to London :lol: but then had doubts because it's a big decision. Anyway I moved down, i didn't have friends in Notts anyway so had nothing to lose. I hear people in Manchester are super friendly so no doubt you will make friends there too :smile: and your bf will introduce you to the people in his life.

If you give more info about the situation with your mum it would be helpful to advise :smile:

This is really helpful! Basically my mum says she does not want me moving just for my boyfriend as she thinks it’s a silly choice. She also hates that she would not be able to see her grandkids when I older etc but if I’m living an hour and a half away I could easily bring them to visit her (this wouldn’t be for years anyway!). She is my best mate but says she will never forgive me for choosing him over my family, but that’s not what I’m doing I just want to have both him and them in my life and this is the only way to do it.
Reply 5
Original post by Supernova36
You posted this yesterday , just read that thread.

I’m well aware however this is an updated version, I couldn’t edit it unfortunately.
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
I'm curious to know why your mother won't be part of your life. Is your family religious? Is your boyfriend looking after his siblings everyday? Both you and your bf will have to compromise and find a middle ground. Even if you both move it's not like you won't see friends or family ever again, in fact, most graduates live far apart from friends yet still keep in contact and see each other often. Take into consideration which location is has better job opportunities; cost of living (both groceries, rent and bills); cost of transport (unless you drive).

I'm also thinking of moving to Manchester from Nottingham with my gf, as there's more job opportunities there. Whilst most of my friends will be mostly in Birmingham, London and Nottingham, we will still be meeting occasionally as they all drive.

She just doesn’t agree with me moving away for him, she feels like I am choosing him over her which isn’t the case but I can’t convince her otherwise. And he just worries about moving away from them as they don’t really have a father figure and they are quite young (9-10 years old). Thankyou for your reply it’s actually been really helpful!!
This is really helpful! Basically my mum says she does not want me moving just for my boyfriend as she thinks it’s a silly choice. She also hates that she would not be able to see her grandkids when I older etc but if I’m living an hour and a half away I could easily bring them to visit her (this wouldn’t be for years anyway!). She is my best mate but says she will never forgive me for choosing him over my family, but that’s not what I’m doing I just want to have both him and them in my life and this is the only way to do it.

So this is a permanent move forever? Have you and your bf considered future plans like marriage and raising kids in Manchester? Or is it a move because the relationship i going well and you are hoping it i long term?

Because your mum might just be super exaggerating and a talk instead to calm her is what's needed instead
Reply 8
So this is a permanent move forever? Have you and your bf considered future plans like marriage and raising kids in Manchester? Or is it a move because the relationship i going well and you are hoping it i long term?

Because your mum might just be super exaggerating and a talk instead to calm her is what's needed instead

We have spoken about marriage etc and we already live together when at uni so we were wanting a lace of our own in Manchester. In my mums head it’s very much like once I’ve gone I’m never coming back and she won’t listen when I say we may even decide to relocate further down the line! Also I’m quite rational in the sense that I know some relationships don’t work no matter how happy I am right now, however if I don’t move to Manchester I will regret it, I can always move back. I’ve tried calming her through a talk but she just gets heated and very upset and annoyed and it seems to make it worse the more we talk about it.
No! You'll break up and find yourself up **** creek without a...you know how it ends.
Is your mum my mum? Hahaha
You won't be able to see her as often but she's being very ridiculous. You don't even know if when you decide to have kids if you will move again. She should be hoping for the best for your future. Does she like the boyfriend? Is he a decent person (never cheated or hurt you?)
We have spoken about marriage etc and we already live together when at uni so we were wanting a lace of our own in Manchester. In my mums head it’s very much like once I’ve gone I’m never coming back and she won’t listen when I say we may even decide to relocate further down the line! Also I’m quite rational in the sense that I know some relationships don’t work no matter how happy I am right now, however if I don’t move to Manchester I will regret it, I can always move back. I’ve tried calming her through a talk but she just gets heated and very upset and annoyed and it seems to make it worse the more we talk about it.

Out of your two options, the one that is based on unfairness is your mum's reaction tbh. I understand her side (my mum is the same) she wants you nearby and feels a bit abandoned, so is threatening to cut ties with you unless you stay nearby. Do you really believe she would do this? Often parents threaten it but won't really follow through, they can't live without their kids after all. You are not doing something immoral by moving in with your bf.

I short her side is a bit selfish and personally think you shouldn't stay for that reason. I understand feeling guilty, however we can't sacrifice our future for a parents' irrational or unhealthy feelings. Have a talk to reassure her you are trying to build a happy future, you will visit as often as you can or invite her round, and who knows about the future it's too soon to mention grandkids. Ask her if your happiness is important to her
Original post by physicsamor
Is your mum my mum? Hahaha
You won't be able to see her as often but she's being very ridiculous. You don't even know if when you decide to have kids if you will move again. She should be hoping for the best for your future. Does she like the boyfriend? Is he a decent person (never cheated or hurt you?)

He’s lovely and 100% loyal. He’s my dream guy haha. My mum always says she loves him and that his only flaw is his location 😬 Thankyou this is so helpful !
He’s lovely and 100% loyal. He’s my dream guy haha. My mum always says she loves him and that his only flaw is his location 😬 Thankyou this is so helpful !

Your first place together will probably be something small but usually couples who consider kids move into something bigger im sure if you tell your mum that you might move halfway once the year for kids comes she might have more positive thinking at the end of the day she won't actually cut you off so just move out and you will need to be patient but she'll come around
Reply 14
She just doesn’t agree with me moving away for him, she feels like I am choosing him over her which isn’t the case but I can’t convince her otherwise. And he just worries about moving away from them as they don’t really have a father figure and they are quite young (9-10 years old). Thankyou for your reply it’s actually been really helpful!!

I've seen friends with mums like this, the reason almost always was that the mother's (father's too) wanted some form of control over them and lacked trust. Really its up to you, from your description I don't see how moving will negatively affect you. Even if your relationship with your bf turns to the worst, you can move away (provided that you have managed your finance well, have been saving portion of your salary).
Reply 15
See where the jobs come up when you’ve graduated. There’s a lot to be said for a weekend relationship in the early years. The purpose of growing up is to fly the nest so I wouldn’t worry too much about you Mum. Her attitude seems a bit unreasonable really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending