The Student Room Group

Forgetting a toxic relationship

Hi

So in my old relationship I was cheated on multiple times and it was an extremely toxic relationship.

Now I’m in a new relationship and I couldn’t be happier. But having gone through a toxic relationship prior to this one, it’s hard to be fully emotionally open.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for a year now and honestly we are both incredibly happy.

I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a toxic relationship before and how they learnt to let go?

I don’t let my past affect my relationship but sometimes it’s hard to erase the memories. For example if my boyfriend touches me somewhere that reminds me of my ex, I can’t help but tense up. He knows this so I was extremely open and honest with him about everything before pursuing the relationship.

Any advice on forgetting a toxic past?
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Hi

So in my old relationship I was cheated on multiple times and it was an extremely toxic relationship.

Now I’m in a new relationship and I couldn’t be happier. But having gone through a toxic relationship prior to this one, it’s hard to be fully emotionally open.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for a year now and honestly we are both incredibly happy.

I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a toxic relationship before and how they learnt to let go?

I don’t let my past affect my relationship but sometimes it’s hard to erase the memories. For example if my boyfriend touches me somewhere that reminds me of my ex, I can’t help but tense up. He knows this so I was extremely open and honest with him about everything before pursuing the relationship.

Any advice on forgetting a toxic past?

I understand, I really do. My ex bf was toxic as well and it has been hard to get over it. I relate to everything you said and honestly, it seems like your current bf is a rlly nice and understanding person, so just try to be happy about what you have! Look, a toxic past may be hard to forget and I still haven’t forgotten mine yet after a year and being with someone else after him. Time truly heals though. Eventually it will get better.
Original post by Imamesshelp
I understand, I really do. My ex bf was toxic as well and it has been hard to get over it. I relate to everything you said and honestly, it seems like your current bf is a rlly nice and understanding person, so just try to be happy about what you have! Look, a toxic past may be hard to forget and I still haven’t forgotten mine yet after a year and being with someone else after him. Time truly heals though. Eventually it will get better.

Thank you so so much! I hope time heals everything for you too x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending