The Student Room Group

Periods and pain relief

Scroll to see replies

id suggest confirming with a doctor
Having a warm bath with radox muscle soak really helps.
I used to take mefenamic acid to help severe period pains during a period of dysmenorrhea. I found they helped lots. However these are quite strong NSAIDs.

What about a contraceptive pill/other more permanent method? My friend had very severe period pains and very heavy periods (causing aneamia) and was prescribed contraceptives to help her with this.

Other pain relief methods to bring comfort include sticky heat pads (deep heat for example, but I found some cheaper ones in the supermarket) or using hot water bottles. There’s also advice to do exercise to alleviate pain. But this did not work at all for me. Just made me more uncomfortable and sore.
Original post by Anonymous
I get bad period pains every time :/ So on average I take 6 nurofen for 3 days, so 18 a month, 216 a year. But I'm thinking isn't that really bad for my body accumulatively? I'm only 20 and I'll have my period for many more years. If I don't take them the pain is too bad, I wouldn't be able to do anything

As @Reality Check said get supermarket on brand name pain relief as just as effective okay.

Try heat relief like a hot water bottle against your stomach or a nice warm bath relaxing will help.
If you are struggling speak with your doctor and perhaps they will recommend some sort of contraceptive relief like the coil or implant instead of pill as this may help with your symptoms okay

Its just the joy of us woman each month I'm afraid.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I used to take haemeopathic tablets and they were the only things that worked. I used to get painful stomach cramps, vomiting etc

Good point Miss Oxford Mum as everybody has a different way of treating period pain and what pain relief to take to
Obvious choice is paracetomal or something similar with heat treatment against your stomach. x
Original post by Napp
It isnt ideal taking painkillers quite so regularly and can result in rebound headaches (which suck)
Why don't you have a chin wag with your GP? Aside from clearing up the issue they might be able to give you something more effective (and cheaper)

They only cause rebound headaches if originally taken for headaches.
I used to take soluble codeine and paracetamol which did help but pill was the actual solution. Looking ahead once I had a baby my periods were never as bad. However as people have said speak to your gp.
Original post by Reality Check
:laugh: they're already in a piss about my advocating people don't waste their money on Gaviscon.

Why so RC? I have found the double action one useful.
You should definitely see your GP about such severe pain as it could be a symptom of something much more serious. It could also be something less serious like IBS or simply painful period cramps but it’s better to be safe than sorry. And anyway, the GP may be able to put you on some better medication or birth control to help with the pain if it is just period cramps.

Are you sure? I took quite a few in the space of a couple of days for some bad cramps and I got a rebound headache when I stopped?
Are you sure? I took quite a few in the space of a couple of days for some bad cramps and I got a rebound headache when I stopped?

yep - https://patient.info/brain-nerves/headache-leaflet/medication-overuse-headache#nav-3
Reply 31

No they don't...

Oh, that’s interesting. Maybe it was because I am quite prone to get headaches and that’s why I got it 🤷*♀️
I get bad period pains every time :/ So on average I take 6 nurofen for 3 days, so 18 a month, 216 a year. But I'm thinking isn't that really bad for my body accumulatively? I'm only 20 and I'll have my period for many more years. If I don't take them the pain is too bad, I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Sorry to hear about your period pain. It can be quite debilitating.
This is what works for me:
- I have an approx due to date in mind
- I take 2 ibuprofen (400mg) at the first sign of my period, even if there is no pain. This gives them a chance to kick in before the pain starts. If I take the ibuprofen at the first sign, I normally don't get any pain
- Drink chamomile tea just before your due date and throughout
- Cut out the junk (ideally most of the time) but especially on your period. This includes sugars and transfats.
- Drink lots of water, lots and lots!
- Gentle exercise - a walk will do. I avoid weight training for the first two days of my period.

I hope this helps! :smile:
I hear you, you should definitely try and see a gp and go in the pill. I myself had very painful periods to the point where I couldn’t even stand up, I would double over with the pain. I’m on the pill now and have been for about 5 years, it really really does help. The pain doesn’t go away completely and sometimes I can have a bad period (currently on one now) where I feel really sick and get bad cramps. For that, I’m also prescribed mefanemic acid (forgot how to spell it!) and that helps. So try and talk to a gp. There are many undiagnosed conditions you could have such as polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, pmdd and more. Most woman actually have an issue but don’t know about it, so get yourself checked out and get medicated to give yourself some relief <3

Quick Reply

Latest