The Student Room Group

Brain tells me no when it comes to women

I like this one girl whose going to my uni in September but my brain just won’t stop telling me I’m not good enough for her or that she won’t accept me for being weird and a bit stupid. I don’t know why I’m like this and just want to know is it normal to feel like this?

It’s like there’s no reason I shouldn’t like her but I have this thought in the back of my head that tells me I shouldn’t and just picks out the negatives about her rather than the positives.

I haven’t truly wanted to be in a relationship since I broke up with my ex 3 years ago but now that I want one I can’t bring myself to do anything. I feel my anxiety or whatever I have is always telling me to live my life a certain way. Even stupid things such as not signing up to websites in fear I’ll get hacked and lose everything.

Silly things I know won’t happen scare me and it makes me feel horrible, like I’m not in control.
Original post by Gillzy
I like this one girl whose going to my uni in September but my brain just won’t stop telling me I’m not good enough for her or that she won’t accept me for being weird and a bit stupid. I don’t know why I’m like this and just want to know is it normal to feel like this?

It’s like there’s no reason I shouldn’t like her but I have this thought in the back of my head that tells me I shouldn’t and just picks out the negatives about her rather than the positives.

I haven’t truly wanted to be in a relationship since I broke up with my ex 3 years ago but now that I want one I can’t bring myself to do anything. I feel my anxiety or whatever I have is always telling me to live my life a certain way. Even stupid things such as not signing up to websites in fear I’ll get hacked and lose everything.

Silly things I know won’t happen scare me and it makes me feel horrible, like I’m not in control.

Yes it's normal for young people to feel at odds with their own feelings. I guess it's a sign of insecurity-you may feel like you aren't good enough because you're comparing your standards to what you assess off the woman you want to get with.

I've felt held back by how my head feels relative to what I want, but the truth is it's do or die. If you like this woman talk to her and take the risk-if it doesn't work out then you move on, if it does work then well done you. I believe if you ignore what your mind tells you then you can make things work-and if it fails there are always other opportunities. I don't know how you are with regrets obviously, but if you tend to regret things then I think you should speak to this person and try to make a connection because you feel the way you do-your mind meanwhile is attempting to protect you and keep an established normality most probably-I believe you should break the cycle to bring on change and new pastures.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
You sound a bit insecure. Perhaps you should work on yourself a bit before getting into a relationship.

For the rest, maybe you could think about talking to a professional? You should be able to feel in control of your own mind.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Yes it's normal for young people to feel at odds with their own feelings. I guess it's a sign of insecurity-you may feel like you aren't good enough because you're comparing your standards to what you assess off the woman you want to get with.

I've felt held back by how my head feels relative to what I want, but the truth is it's do or die. If you like this woman talk to her and take the risk-if it doesn't work out then you move on, if it does work then well done you. I believe if you ignore what your mind tells you then you can make things work-and if it fails there are always other opportunities. I don't know how you are with regrets obviously, but if you tend to regret things then I think you should speak to this person and try to make a connection because you feel the way you do-your mind meanwhile is attempting to protect you and keep an established normality most probably-I believe you should break the cycle to bring on change and new pastures.

Also try some positive thinking, don't say you're not good enough-say you know you're good enough. Some women don't respond well to a lack of confidence and that might show if you take the chance to speak to her. You don't need to be fully confident-but don't down yourself because if you don't see worth in yourself she may not see worth in you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending