The Student Room Group

Would you quit a job if it involved a lot of heavy lifting?

Opinions?? Even if the hourly pay was good (£9.50) an hour? What are your biggest no-nos with a job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beyhive1
Opinions?? Even if the hourly pay was good (£9.50) an hour? What are your biggest no-nos with a job?

Retail and fast food industry. Never go into it
No atleast i would be getting excercise
I would never be given a job that required a lot of heavy lifting, having almost zero upper body strength
Reply 4
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES

Learned this the hard way.
Surely you would know the job involved a lot of lifting before you accepted it?
Yes, my body is not made for strenuous physical labour.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Could be fun, Id give it a try.
Original post by black tea
Surely you would know the job involved a lot of lifting before you accepted it?

Not at all. My original job doesnt so much involve it but cause other people have left my department their jobs have been shifted onto me
Well my previous warehouse jobs involved a lot of heavy lifting like 15kg to 25kg boxes it was solid but I got a good six pack and that made me feel good plus it was kinda straight forward I just got the job done enit
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Could be fun, Id give it a try.

Not when you're a girl who gets her period once a month and is still expected to LIFT heavy boxes containing frozen food.
Not at all. My original job doesnt so much involve it but cause other people have left my department their jobs have been shifted onto me

Fair enough. In that case, if I felt I was not able to do the job safely, I would quit.
Reply 12

I think retail heavily depends on the store
Yes
Everyone in my dept complains about their back pain. 2 of my male colleagues have had to see doctors/have scans because their backs are on the verge of severely damaging. Even my lower back/knees get the most excruciating pain during my shifts. I'm also a girl so I'm pretty sure I shouldnt be carrying boxes that are super big and contain x120 frozen doughnuts etc....
Reply 15

definitely... why should i, when i can just sit here and look pretty
True I will start doing so cause I cant stand to do another shift involving extreme manual labour. Thank u
Reply 17
Did it for years, I could go back to it. I enjoy that sort of stuff. But I wouldn't want to be doing it in ten years time
I do heavy lifting in my retail job but not as much as my old job working in a pub, I think for a job that is literally just heavy lifting the money would be a motivator but I could probably only stomach it for a summer and last 2 months or so.

I think food retail is pretty chill, the team I work with at the moment are lovely. Not heard good things on fast-food restaurants from friends experiences , although I know someone who worked his way up management at McDonalds and is now on a good salary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending