The Student Room Group

Drop uni place for clearing choice?

Hi, I have an offer from a uni, that’s been accepted after getting my results. It was my insurance choice. However I applied to a better uni for the fun of it after getting my results and they’ve given me a provisional offer. After ringing them they said due to how contracts work, they can’t tell me right now I 100% have a place, but they said the only reason I wouldn’t is if I inputted my results in wrong or something like that. I’m worried if I decline my offer from my insurance choice, then accept the provisional offer through clearing, the provisional offer won’t be there any more and I won’t be left with a uni at all. What should I do?
Reply 1
Also to note my insurance offer was unconditional prior to results day
Original post by Leveneo
Hi, I have an offer from a uni, that’s been accepted after getting my results. It was my insurance choice. However I applied to a better uni for the fun of it after getting my results and they’ve given me a provisional offer. After ringing them they said due to how contracts work, they can’t tell me right now I 100% have a place, but they said the only reason I wouldn’t is if I inputted my results in wrong or something like that. I’m worried if I decline my offer from my insurance choice, then accept the provisional offer through clearing, the provisional offer won’t be there any more and I won’t be left with a uni at all. What should I do?

You have a hard choice to make, I'm afraid. The other uni is correct in that they should not confirm you a place prior to you being in Clearing. If you are going to the other uni just because it is better, though, I would advise against it. Take some time to research it and see if you could really like it there. Look at employment prospects, placement opportunities, industry links, accommodation. But also remember that there was a reason your insurance is your insurance - hopefully because you liked it and visited it. Good luck, and take care :smile:
Agree with @emiloujess

Do your research. What do you like about both uni's, how does the course content differ with both, which is closer (if you're living at home) etc.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
You have a hard choice to make, I'm afraid. The other uni is correct in that they should not confirm you a place prior to you being in Clearing. If you are going to the other uni just because it is better, though, I would advise against it. Take some time to research it and see if you could really like it there. Look at employment prospects, placement opportunities, industry links, accommodation. But also remember that there was a reason your insurance is your insurance - hopefully because you liked it and visited it. Good luck, and take care :smile:

Thanks! Yeah I’ve done a fair bit or research on both. I definitely prefer the uni that I would have to go through clearing for, and it’s much more practical for me. It’s just hard knowing weather that difference is worth the risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending