The Student Room Group

Do employers care about A levels?

Yes im the class of 2020 and my results absolutely got ****ing shafted so i got CCC but VERY luckily enough i got a place at cardiff university for the Chemistry with a placement year abroad bachelors course. I'm hoping to take a Chemistry masters hopefully in London if I do well but I'm just wondering if employers would genuinely look at our A levels. Because Chemistry is such a flexible degree I'm thinking of either do research and stay in the Chem field or get into finance or accountancy since I still don't know yet but I do rather enjoy Chemistry. Also, would I be really struggling with this course since my results are absolute **** I'm just wondering if I'm able to come out with a first class honours :frown: I'm just really worried about whether employers would really look at A levels since I've seen mixed responses and I really don't know.
Original post by waiman01
Yes im the class of 2020 and my results absolutely got ****ing shafted so i got CCC but VERY luckily enough i got a place at cardiff university for the Chemistry with a placement year abroad bachelors course. I'm hoping to take a Chemistry masters hopefully in London if I do well but I'm just wondering if employers would genuinely look at our A levels. Because Chemistry is such a flexible degree I'm thinking of either do research and stay in the Chem field or get into finance or accountancy since I still don't know yet but I do rather enjoy Chemistry. Also, would I be really struggling with this course since my results are absolute **** I'm just wondering if I'm able to come out with a first class honours :frown: I'm just really worried about whether employers would really look at A levels since I've seen mixed responses and I really don't know.

Do really well at uni and they wont care.
Some emploters in certain sectors have A level criteria, in which case those jobs could be denied you. The year abroad sounds good, but make sure it is useful. That is your usp. Other employees will be degree focussed only.

Its really in other professions outside Chemistry.
I think that if in the future you applied for a job and employers ask for your a-levels and see you were the class of 2020.....I imagine they’d be a lot more flexible and understanding. You got into university anyway, and one of my friends got accepted by her uni with CCD. I don’t think it would be fair for employers to discriminate against an entire generation of people just because the government ****ed up the education system. These a-level grades are a giant ass mess but I think if your grades were good enough for your uni to accept you for the course you want to do, then employers in that field would have to be flexible to. Worry about that in the future when it comes to it
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous17!
I think that if in the future you applied for a job and employers ask for your a-levels and see you were the class of 2020.....I imagine they’d be a lot more flexible and understanding. You got into university anyway, and one of my friends got accepted by her uni with CCD. I don’t think it would be fair for employers to discriminate against an entire generation of people just because the government ****ed up the education system. These a-level grades are a giant ass mess but I think if your grades were good enough for your uni to accept you for the course you want to do, then employers in that field would have to be flexible to. Worry about that in the future when it comes to it

If you dont mind me asking, what course is your friend doing and what uni did thry get accepted into?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Do really well at uni and they wont care.
Some emploters in certain sectors have A level criteria, in which case those jobs could be denied you. The year abroad sounds good, but make sure it is useful. That is your usp. Other employees will be degree focussed only.

Its really in other professions outside Chemistry.

I havn't actually got alot of information about the year abroad yet but it's definitely a placement with a country of your choice and I's assume it's going to be very useful. Does this mean jobs outside of chemistry might deny me?

they don't care
I havn't actually got alot of information about the year abroad yet but it's definitely a placement with a country of your choice and I's assume it's going to be very useful. Does this mean jobs outside of chemistry might deny me?

Some will some wont, depends on the job and industry or even employer whether they put down an A level criteria. Contray to #6 some employers for top jobs state A level and degree requirements. Just do well at uni. Retake unless you feel you massively underperformed otherwise if your uni is the one you wnated focus on that and dont worry.
If you dont mind me asking, what course is your friend doing and what uni did thry get accepted into?

Psychology, Uni of Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending