The Student Room Group

Placement or no placement?

Hi guys so I'm just wondering if someone who is currently studying biomed and wants to do med/dent after can help me out. In my current uni there is an opportunity to apply for a placement year to be undertaken in year 3. However, I would like to apply for med/dent after this degree hopefully. Was just wondering if it's worth applying for the placement year incase I decide not to apply afterwards or to not take the placement year. Bearing in mind that if I was to not apply for a placement then decide not to apply for med/dent i would have to apply for top up courses in order to be able to work in the industry/ NHS etc and this would have to be personally funded and is much more of a hassle to complete than doing it during my degree. Also this means it adds an extra year to my journey. Also wondering if it affects applying later on and is looked at as completing my course in 4 rather than 3 years because med/dent unis want the degree to be completed in 3 years. I know it's a long question but anyone with any experience who can help me out will be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by sunnystate
Hi guys so I'm just wondering if someone who is currently studying biomed and wants to do med/dent after can help me out. In my current uni there is an opportunity to apply for a placement year to be undertaken in year 3. However, I would like to apply for med/dent after this degree hopefully. Was just wondering if it's worth applying for the placement year incase I decide not to apply afterwards or to not take the placement year. Bearing in mind that if I was to not apply for a placement then decide not to apply for med/dent i would have to apply for top up courses in order to be able to work in the industry/ NHS etc and this would have to be personally funded and is much more of a hassle to complete than doing it during my degree. Also this means it adds an extra year to my journey. Also wondering if it affects applying later on and is looked at as completing my course in 4 rather than 3 years because med/dent unis want the degree to be completed in 3 years. I know it's a long question but anyone with any experience who can help me out will be much appreciated! :smile:

I personally would go for the placement to enhance employment, maybe steer it towards an area that might help in medicine, it could also help with the application as well if you manage it right imo.

Actually reading the latter half of that it did my head in.
Make it easier for the reader by using full stops and one idea a sentence.
If you have questions then sort them out and do 1 per line , so the reader doesnt have to struggle to understand and identify them.
Tagged ecoleier for you as am not sure the last half of yours makes sense.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
@ecolier

I personally would go for the placement to enhance employment, maybe steer it towards an area that might help in medicine, it could also help with the application as well if you manage it right imo.

Actually reading the latter half of that it did my head in.
Make it easier for the reader by using full stops and one idea a sentence.
If you have questions then sort them out and do 1 per line , so the reader doesnt have to struggle to understand and identify them.
Tagged ecoleier for you as am not sure the last half of yours makes sense.

Thank you so much!
Yeah sorry about that last half, it is shambles.

The main points I was trying to make were:

1. If I was to skip the placement year and then decide not to apply to med I would have to take top-up modules in order to work in the NHS.

2. I will have to fund my top-up modules instead of student finance and it's more of a hassle to complete it after my degree.

3. Med/dent admissions ask for degrees to be completed within 3 years. However, if I was to take the placement year, I would be completing my degree in 4 years. So would I be unable to apply?

4. Taking the placement year would be increasing the duration of my journey to get to where I want to be.

Hopefully this makes more sense! :smile:
Thank you so much!

1. If I was to skip the placement year and then decide not to apply to med I would have to take top-up modules in order to work in the NHS.

2. I will have to fund my top-up modules instead of student finance and it's more of a hassle to complete it after my degree.

3. Med/dent admissions ask for degrees to be completed within 3 years. However, if I was to take the placement year, I would be completing my degree in 4 years. So would I be unable to apply?

4. Taking the placement year would be increasing the duration of my journey to get to where I want to be.

That looks better maybe Ecolier will put it in the appropriate medical sub forum for you as you might get a bit more traffic there. Better they confirm rather than me do informed guesses. I will delete my post when ecolier moves it.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
That looks better maybe Ecolier will put it in the appropriate medical sub forum for you as you might get a bit more traffic there. Better they confirm rather than me do informed guesses. I will delete my post when ecolier moves it.

Thank you very much :smile:
Thank you very much :smile:

sorry couldnt help more but they will know straight away rather than me looking it up and thinking about it. GL.
Thank you so much!

Hi! I just wanted to ask, is your biomedical degree IBMS accredited?

I'd advise against taking up a NHS placement since you don't want to work in a NHS laboratory. You'd be taking a place that won't be beneficial to you but that somebody else could have used to progress to being a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS.
Reply 8
Original post by MusicGamer
Hi! I just wanted to ask, is your biomedical degree IBMS accredited?

Yes it is :smile:
Original post by Nooreo
Yes it is :smile:

Then I’m unsure what you mean by top-up modules? As your degree is already accredited? The top-up modules are only for if your degree is unaccredited and you need them for it to be accredited.

So, you won’t need them to do you registration portfolio after you graduate.

But I would agree with RegisteredBMS, if medicine/dentistry is what you want to do and not working as a biomedical scientist, don’t take up a placement space. Let people who actually know that’s what they want to do take them. As your degree is accredited, you can always complete the registration portfolio when you’ve graduated if then you decide medicine isn’t what you want (admittedly, this is harder and you’ll have to apply for Band 2 MLA roles in order to get the NHS experience, but some hospitals will help support you through the portfolio in an MLA role).
Reply 10
Okay, thank you so much for clearing.that up that makes more sense to me now and doesn't sound so bad thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending