The Student Room Group

iPad Pro or Macbook?

I'm just looking to find the best device for LLB Law and am leaning towards the iPad for class.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WelshKopite
I'm just looking to find the best device for LLB Law and am leaning towards the iPad for class.

Depends on affordability and what will you use it for? Mostly documents for uni?

An ipad cannot fully replace a laptop - keep this in mind.
Reply 2
Original post by MKaur18
Depends on affordability and what will you use it for? Mostly documents for uni?

An ipad cannot fully replace a laptop - keep this in mind.

That's just it. I already have a desktop that will be in my room on Windows 10 so I'll be taking it to class for notes among other things. That's why I think the iPad Pro is a safe bet but I'm just unsure.
Reply 3
That's just it. I already have a desktop that will be in my room on Windows 10 so I'll be taking it to class for notes among other things. That's why I think the iPad Pro is a safe bet but I'm just unsure.

If your windows 10 works perfectly well then go for the iPad Pro. Personally, I'd take the safe bet for the moment.
Reply 4
Original post by MKaur18
If your windows 10 works perfectly well then go for the iPad Pro. Personally, I'd take the safe bet for the moment.

It's a custom built gaming PC I made back in April so it works brand new! And yeah, I probably will end up getting the iPad. Seems the more practical choice.
Reply 5
I mean iPad has the features like Noteability and everything that makes it perfect for taking to class. My only concern is the file manager and stuff like that but i have a desktop with Windows so i dont really need it to have that. I'm still torn between choosing.
I have both and I tend to use my iPad more personally. I like to memorise through writing and note taking so having good notes on my iPad helps with that. I’d say it’s a good option considering you already have a desktop but just keep in mind you’ll probably have to buy an Apple Pencil which is like £110 on top. Should be fine because Apple education is slightly cheaper (and you get airpods for free!)
Reply 7
Original post by Showmiya2408
I have both and I tend to use my iPad more personally. I like to memorise through writing and note taking so having good notes on my iPad helps with that. I’d say it’s a good option considering you already have a desktop but just keep in mind you’ll probably have to buy an Apple Pencil which is like £110 on top. Should be fine because Apple education is slightly cheaper (and you get airpods for free!)

I've actually been offered the pencil and keyboard for my birthday as it falls around the time I leave for Uni so that's why I was asking about the iPad Pro. I couldnt decide whether to make the jump or not lol
Reply 8
Maybe, but then I've seen nothing but praise for the iPad Pro so I'm still learning more towards it. Thanks for the info though!
Reply 9
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Surface Pro 4. I've had it for 4 years and have just treated myself to the pro 7 for uni (battery life was starting to wain on my old one and the pro 7 is better for taking notes using the pen). Husband also loves it too and has one for work. I use mine for anything and everything. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Original post by Free81
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Surface Pro 4. I've had it for 4 years and have just treated myself to the pro 7 for uni (battery life was starting to wain on my old one and the pro 7 is better for taking notes using the pen). Husband also loves it too and has one for work. I use mine for anything and everything. I can't recommend them highly enough

Interesting... although I have to say the iPad Pro is still the more appealing choice for me, I'd find it intriguing to see a comparison between the two tablets.
It's a custom built gaming PC I made back in April so it works brand new! And yeah, I probably will end up getting the iPad. Seems the more practical choice.

Indeed, it seems like you have made up your mind. I'm looking to purchase one as things move online this year for me.
I just watched the comparison videos and it's closer than I thought. Although sadly an iPad Pro at £700 seems alot cheaper than the Surface 7 which is alot more. Might come down to affordability and somehow Apple wins that one 😂
I was going to get the 11 inch Pro because my budget permits that and the size isnt too big to carry around. As a Uni student, if I could afford the bigger size I would but £200 is alot right now. I'll have to give it more thought.
Original post by Free81
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Surface Pro 4. I've had it for 4 years and have just treated myself to the pro 7 for uni (battery life was starting to wain on my old one and the pro 7 is better for taking notes using the pen). Husband also loves it too and has one for work. I use mine for anything and everything. I can't recommend them highly enough.

How practical is the SP7 for note-taking in lectures and for organising loads of files together? Can you also use a hard drive with it?
Original post by ryanalevel
How practical is the SP7 for note-taking in lectures and for organising loads of files together? Can you also use a hard drive with it?

I'd imagine iPad is more practical for writing notes and such but the SP7 is a laptop so it comes down to which you prefer. I myself like the idea of a tablet taking to class but if someone doesnt have a desktop I can see why theyd go SP7
I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: is there any point in me worrying over it being Windows when I already have a desktop with Windows 10 Pro? Like if i ever need a file manager or whatever i can just use the PC in my Uni room, this is just something to write up the occasional essay on or take notes in class.
Reply 17
Original post by ryanalevel

Yes, you can use an external hard drive if you need to and if you get the latest pen (I had an older one to my husband's pen, the latter is definitely more accurate), it seems pretty good for writing notes on OneNote. To me, it feels just like a laptop, with the added bonus of being able to use it as a tablet too, and lighter than a laptop. I use it for the full version of Photoshop on it too.
Original post by Free81
Yes, you can use an external hard drive if you need to and if you get the latest pen (I had an older one to my husband's pen, the latter is definitely more accurate), it seems pretty good for writing notes on OneNote. To me, it feels just like a laptop, with the added bonus of being able to use it as a tablet too, and lighter than a laptop. I use it for the full version of Photoshop on it too.

Wow that’s so cool, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending