The Student Room Group

Telling feelings

Hey, I know you've prob seen a plot of these threads but I really would appreciate some help and advice.
So there's the cliché there's this girl. but see this girl decided to tell me she had feelings for me and in response I admitted back. But it's been about a month now and she doesn't really talk about anything. it's always small talk and I feel like she's losing interest.
my initial thoughts are to reassure her. not directly but in the sense that it feels as though we're just friends again even tho we both kno there's a lil something there.
anyways. Do you guys think I should be straight up and put my cards on the table and just be serious about my feels or should I just keep playing this cat and mouse thing of us not really making Anything clear. it's almost as if it's awks for us to talk about anything other than small talk.

P.S. let me kno if there's anything that might be missing I think that's all it but lmk if u got Qs and I'll answer
lol

Scroll to see replies

Always 'put your cards on the table' and let her know how you feel! :smile:

You know she likes you, so there's nothing to lose, really. Ideally be very clear about what you mean; is it "you feel a bit distant, what's up?", "I feel like we don't talk much over text - would you like to call/Zoom/go out on a date", "I'm not sure where our relationship is at the moment, can we talk about that?". Otherwise it's easy to end up at cross-purposes.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I know you've prob seen a plot of these threads but I really would appreciate some help and advice.
So there's the cliché there's this girl. but see this girl decided to tell me she had feelings for me and in response I admitted back. But it's been about a month now and she doesn't really talk about anything. it's always small talk and I feel like she's losing interest.
my initial thoughts are to reassure her. not directly but in the sense that it feels as though we're just friends again even tho we both kno there's a lil something there.
anyways. Do you guys think I should be straight up and put my cards on the table and just be serious about my feels or should I just keep playing this cat and mouse thing of us not really making Anything clear. it's almost as if it's awks for us to talk about anything other than small talk.

P.S. let me kno if there's anything that might be missing I think that's all it but lmk if u got Qs and I'll answer
lol

I got distracted from the word "awks" - makes me cringe every time lmao
But to answer your question, be honest. Otherwise you'll just stay in an uncomfortable emotional purgatory w/ her. You'll actually know where you stand in the relationship so you can at least have that reassurance.
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight

You know she likes you, so there's nothing to lose, really. Ideally be very clear about what you mean; is it "you feel a bit distant, what's up?", "I feel like we don't talk much over text - would you like to call/Zoom/go out on a date", "I'm not sure where our relationship is at the moment, can we talk about that?". Otherwise it's easy to end up at cross-purposes.

The thing is bcos I'm not sure of where we stand it's hard to be honest in that way in case it makes her distant ygm.
I mean I appreciate and understand what you've said but our "relationship" isn't really at the stage where I can say things like that ygm. like yes we kno we like eachother ish but it's still quite early if that makes sense
Reply 4
I got distracted from the word "awks" - makes me cringe every time lmao
But to answer your question, be honest. Otherwise you'll just stay in an uncomfortable emotional purgatory w/ her. You'll actually know where you stand in the relationship so you can at least have that reassurance.

ahahah sorry about that it'd just bcos I cba typing the whole thing. and yeh that's true. I've been in like an anxious turmoil bcos even when we call I just wanna talk and find out but she doesn't let much on about how she feels emotionally. I'm personally not too bad of an overthinker but do you think I'm overthinking it? I've known her for about 8 months now and we're about 1 month ish in but she's not the typical girl in the sense that she'll talk about it. bcos she doesn't usually speak about these sorts of things. hence why It's almost as if it's a subject she'd rather not speak on that's the vibes I get icl
The thing is bcos I'm not sure of where we stand it's hard to be honest in that way in case it makes her distant ygm.
I mean I appreciate and understand what you've said but our "relationship" isn't really at the stage where I can say things like that ygm. like yes we kno we like eachother ish but it's still quite early if that makes sense

I get that. Equally if you never talk about these things it's sort of a Catch-22 where you then never learn where you stand, so you never feel able to be honest and it just keeps going?

Would it be easier if you were in person and could ask then? If you're honest and she doesn't want to engage and is distant, that's not really a two-way relationship, if you see what I mean.

lol

Just tell her how you feel. You never know she might think you've lost interest in her. Honestly I think you'll regret it if you dont tell her. Good luck my friend
ahahah sorry about that it'd just bcos I cba typing the whole thing. and yeh that's true. I've been in like an anxious turmoil bcos even when we call I just wanna talk and find out but she doesn't let much on about how she feels emotionally. I'm personally not too bad of an overthinker but do you think I'm overthinking it? I've known her for about 8 months now and we're about 1 month ish in but she's not the typical girl in the sense that she'll talk about it. bcos she doesn't usually speak about these sorts of things. hence why It's almost as if it's a subject she'd rather not speak on that's the vibes I get icl

Nah, I don't think you're overthinking at all actually. I can see why you're struggling with this.
I guess what you need to do is think about what sort of relationship you want with her in the future - you can't be with her in any romantic way, but you still want to be close so think about what you'd rather do: risk your friendship by telling her how you feel or try and get over these feelings and forget this bump in your friendship. It happens, and maybe you can tell her and laugh about it later once you're over her in a romantic sense - because if there's one solid piece of reassurance I can give you, it's that you won't always have feelings for her, I guarantee you.
Reply 8
I get that. Equally if you never talk about these things it's sort of a Catch-22 where you then never learn where you stand, so you never feel able to be honest and it just keeps going?

Would it be easier if you were in person and could ask then? If you're honest and she doesn't want to engage and is distant, that's not really a two-way relationship, if you see what I mean.

yeh I get that and it does make complete sense yeh. So do you think it's worth taking the risk of losing her tho? but yeh there's that negative thinking in the back of the mind too you're right
that's true if she doesn't feel the same way there nothing I can do about that but at the same time if I didn't take that risk inwouent lost her. it's 50/50 ig
yeh I get that and it does make complete sense yeh. So do you think it's worth taking the risk of losing her tho? but yeh there's that negative thinking in the back of the mind too you're right
that's true if she doesn't feel the same way there nothing I can do about that but at the same time if I didn't take that risk inwouent lost her. it's 50/50 ig

I really can't assess the risk as I'm not you, basically! I would say that if "telling her how you feel and being honest" means she breaks up with you, it's really more on her and may just be because she wasn't ready for a relationship? It's always sad when these things don't work out, but usually for good reasons.
Original post by H4ttie03
Just tell her how you feel. You never know she might think you've lost interest in her. Honestly I think you'll regret it if you dont tell her. Good luck my friend

thanks for the advice but See that's the thing. I would. and I'm confident enough to do that. it's just the slight concern in case it becomes awkward and eventually we just end up parting ways.
Nah, I don't think you're overthinking at all actually. I can see why you're struggling with this.
I guess what you need to do is think about what sort of relationship you want with her in the future - you can't be with her in any romantic way, but you still want to be close so think about what you'd rather do: risk your friendship by telling her how you feel or try and get over these feelings and forget this bump in your friendship. It happens, and maybe you can tell her and laugh about it later once you're over her in a romantic sense - because if there's one solid piece of reassurance I can give you, it's that you won't always have feelings for her, I guarantee you.

I mean we try and call whenever we can and we usually call for at least a good couple hours when we do. but lately she just doesn't seem interested and I have to wonder if I'm being led on.
I don't wanna lose her as a friend or in ant other way but if I was to be straight up and tell her my thoughts I wouldn't even know where to start. but my thoughts now are you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. now although that's a dangerous mindset in this sense. I think it's the right one? and I know you're not me but hypothetically what would your response be. bcos Im tryna see both sides of the coin
thanks for the advice but See that's the thing. I would. and I'm confident enough to do that. it's just the slight concern in case it becomes awkward and eventually we just end up parting ways.

Ik I get what you mean. It's like you like her a lot so youd rather still keep her in your life just being friends, rather than telling her and it potentially becoming awkward and you losing her. It's a hard situation and I think maybe just bring it up w her, like dont outright say you have feelings straight away, just ask where you guys are at etc and see how she responds
Ik I get what you mean. It's like you like her a lot so youd rather still keep her in your life just being friends, rather than telling her and it potentially becoming awkward and you losing her. It's a hard situation and I think maybe just bring it up w her, like dont outright say you have feelings straight away, just ask where you guys are at etc and see how she responds

so ask more of a what are we sort of thing?
and yeh ig that's it just about a month ago she said she had feelings so it's a bit confusing lol
so ask more of a what are we sort of thing?
and yeh ig that's it just about a month ago she said she had feelings so it's a bit confusing lol

Yeah I'd say try that and see how she responds.
Lmao yes ppl do give mixed signals and it can be confusing lol, the only way you'll know is if you ask so I'd maybe ask what are we, like just casually bring it into conversation and make sure you have something to change the subject w swiftly after if the answer is not what you hope lol
Yeah I'd say try that and see how she responds.
Lmao yes ppl do give mixed signals and it can be confusing lol, the only way you'll know is if you ask so I'd maybe ask what are we, like just casually bring it into conversation and make sure you have something to change the subject w swiftly after if the answer is not what you hope lol

Yuh I'll do that. thanks for the advice man. and I'll let uno this time again tmrw bcos she's obvs asleep rn.
Honestly put your cards on the table, it’s good in the beginning to say what u want whether that’s a relationship, hookup, friends with benefits etc. So nobody gets hurt by being mislead on.
Yuh I'll do that. thanks for the advice man. and I'll let uno this time again tmrw bcos she's obvs asleep rn.

You're welcome and yes please let me know I hope it goes well
You're welcome and yes please let me know I hope it goes well

hey, so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to brin it up. not that I even know how I'll smoothly change the subject but I'll lyk
hey, so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to brin it up. not that I even know how I'll smoothly change the subject but I'll lyk

Ah that sucks, hopefully you have the chance to bring it up soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending