The Student Room Group

How do i make friends at uni

I moved into halls yesterday and im finding it a bit difficult to make friends. My flat has 4 other people in and ive met 3 of them. Im trying to get to know them more but its always small conversations then they go back to their rooms. My course starts next week so i dont know anyone from there. And I cant go to any of the freshers events alone as a minimum booking is required. I am feeling lonely and i kind of want to pack up and go back home :frown:

Any advice?
How about organising dinner? Get everyone out of their rooms and have a chat/icebreaker meal?
Reply 2
Are you able to talk to other flats?
Are you in any group chats for your course and/or halls of residence?
Any chance of some social interaction happening in the kitchens while you cook?
Original post by Anonymous
I moved into halls yesterday and im finding it a bit difficult to make friends. My flat has 4 other people in and ive met 3 of them. Im trying to get to know them more but its always small conversations then they go back to their rooms. My course starts next week so i dont know anyone from there. And I cant go to any of the freshers events alone as a minimum booking is required. I am feeling lonely and i kind of want to pack up and go back home :frown:

Any advice?

hi!

I am sorry to hear you are having feeling this way in your first week but there is definitely ways for things to get better! Because of the nature of restrictions, many students are finding it hard to connect but there is so many virtual events going on, it is definitely worth having a look to see what is out there :smile: Have you had a look for any virtual fresher's events? Take some time to see if there are any societies that interest you. If so, have a look for them on socials as societies have become extremely active on socials in order to attract students to their online events!
As someone who is on a committee as Social Media Manager, I have definitely been busy trying to create posts for many online events! Facebook and Instagram are the best places to look. I would also just recommend looking for groupchats on facebook for your accommodation. Hope this is helpful!
Best of luck,

Meena (3rd Year Politics Undergraduate)
Original post by Anonymous

Any advice?

Occupy yourself with as many independent activities as you can. I am moving into halls in 2 weeks, and I have a lot of independent plans. I plan on learning an instrument (ukelele), a language, a sport, travelling to local museums, galleries, theatres, green spaces, research institutions, planning out my finances, yoga, gym, university work (8 hours a day of writing up lectures, seminars and course content), volunteering, societies, starting a company and a whole lot more. With regards to group activities, I plan on playing board games with my flatmates, like Monopoly (epic 4 player game), checkers, chess and others. There is a whole lot to do. There is no such thing as a lack of resources; there is simply a lack of resourcefulness. I hope what I said gave you some ideas as to how to spend your time at university. It will develop you as a person, and make you closer to reaching self-actualisation, which is one of the reasons university exists in the first place. It will be an experience unlike any other, as this would be your first step at true independence, assuming you lived at home all your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending