The Student Room Group

Coeliac support thread

Hi everyone. I’ve just been diagnosed with coeliac disease. I thought I would make this forum so the coeliacs out there can come and talk about it/support each other/ask questions 💕💕
Reply 1
Hiya! How are you coping with the diagnosis? I am not a coeliac but I have a wheat intolerance and I can't eat certain brands of cereal because I think it is cross contaminated with wheat. It is tough adjusting to supermarket shopping, dining out, cooking for the family etc.It is doable and sometimes a fun learning curve.
Original post by Pelola
Hiya! How are you coping with the diagnosis? I am not a coeliac but I have a wheat intolerance and I can't eat certain brands of cereal because I think it is cross contaminated with wheat. It is tough adjusting to supermarket shopping, dining out, cooking for the family etc.It is doable and sometimes a fun learning curve.

Not too bad actually. Not gonna lie, I went past a McDonald’s tonight and was so very nearly tempted to stuff it and enjoy a good old meal. 😂😂 Don’t worry I didn’t. I think the first 6 months are going to be the hardest and it’s very trial and error at the minute. I love any food but when it comes to gf foods I don’t like 70% of it. I’m going to try my hardest to have a positive mindset about it because there are other people worse off of course. Cross contamination is such a tricky thing. I live with my mum and dad still who eat gluten and I’m literally washing everything after they use it. I can’t even use their margarine because I case there is any trace of wheat in it. How long have you been diagnosed with your wheat allergy? Any good brands? Xxx
Reply 3
Original post by Turtle28224
Not too bad actually. Not gonna lie, I went past a McDonald’s tonight and was so very nearly tempted to stuff it and enjoy a good old meal. 😂😂 Don’t worry I didn’t. I think the first 6 months are going to be the hardest and it’s very trial and error at the minute. I love any food but when it comes to gf foods I don’t like 70% of it. I’m going to try my hardest to have a positive mindset about it because there are other people worse off of course. Cross contamination is such a tricky thing. I live with my mum and dad still who eat gluten and I’m literally washing everything after they use it. I can’t even use their margarine because I case there is any trace of wheat in it. How long have you been diagnosed with your wheat allergy? Any good brands? Xxx

I live with my family. I also have a peanut allergy. I had blood tests December 2017; received the results end of Jan 2018. I could deal with that because I was moving towards cashew butter. My brother struggled bless him and I had to throw away a few sponges. I have my own toaster and I have monitored butter use. Schar has some good products but some contain wheat starch. Genius and Tesco make nice brioche hamburger buns. Sainsbury make decent bread. The supermarket artisan brands are nice but the price is not sustainable for me.

I have always baked but now I make all my own cakes so can't comment. I can say I like Lidl cookies and Nair oat biscuits. I buy breaded fish and fishcakes from Sainsbury.

I clean the kitchen counter more frequently lol

Quick Reply

Latest