The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open university - psychology?

Hi

I could really do with some advice, I was originally thinking Nursing was for me but I have a lot of medical issues going on at the moment and I don't think this is the right career for me. I am now looking at studying Psychology through Open University and going on to studying a master's at university afterwards. I have a few questions if anyone could answer that would be great :smile:

Firstly, the starting date of the course is February 2021 and I finish my level 3 BTEC in May/June 2021. Would it be possible to start an OU course before finishing my BTEC and would I get the same funding?

And also, is it possible to do a year of psychology OU and then go to university to finish the course?

I hope this all makes sense and if anyone has done an OU in psychology I would love to hear your experiences :biggrin:
How are you funding your BTEC? What age are you?

You are sometimes able to use first year of the degree to then transfer to a brick uni but you would need to check with the brick uni whether they would accept it-it is more common for them to accept it as entry into first year instead of being able to go into second year though that depends on the uni.
It is also worth noting that if you did both of your year one modules starting in February you wouldn’t have your results through in time to be able to go to a brick uni in 2021. Also, you’re funding would probably not work as you would have already studied the maximum amount of credits in the academic year. If you mean to start one module in Feb and then another in October for transfer into a brick uni at 2022 then these points are moot (tho if this is the plan then it would possibly be better waiting until the October start date for both modules and following the normal academic year.

I’ve just graduated from Psychology with counselling from the OU and loved it so much I am continuing with them for my masters.
(edited 3 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by GabiAbi84
How are you funding your BTEC? What age are you?

You are sometimes able to use first year of the degree to then transfer to a brick uni but you would need to check with the brick uni whether they would accept it-it is more common for them to accept it as entry into first year instead of being able to go into second year though that depends on the uni.
It is also worth noting that if you did both of your year one modules starting in February you wouldn’t have your results through in time to be able to go to a brick uni in 2021. Also, you’re funding would probably not work as you would have already studied the maximum amount of credits in the academic year. If you mean to start one module in Feb and then another in October for transfer into a brick uni at 2022 then these points are moot (tho if this is the plan then it would possibly be better waiting until the October start date for both modules and following the normal academic year.

I’ve just graduated from Psychology with counselling from the OU and loved it so much I am continuing with them for my masters.

It's funded through college I'm seventeen.

The university I'm looking at says there are three points of entry, would it be worth emailing them and checking do you think? (This course for example https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/a3305af3-5703-a82f-90b1-927d996b145a?academicYearId=2021&courseOptionId=669f3072-9680-4e46-93f9-5cafd79a06f8 ). Ah okay, I thought all the courses started in February, or at least that's what it says for OU psychology - I might be looking at the wrong stuff! :dontknow:

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your course, was yours fulltime? Do you mind me asking if you got psych experience during the degree?
@-Eirlys- is doing psychology at the OU I think and might be able to advise some of the above?

On the starting at the OU then going to a brick uni, that is definitely possible - I know something that did exactly that for psychology as well! They started at the OU after school, did a year (I think, maybe two part-time) of psychology with them, then applied to a brick uni (I think Bath or Bath Spa is where she ended up) and did the course there. However I believe she started again in the first year of the course, and bear in mind there is no guarantee you will be able to progress directly into year 2 of the degree at the brick uni after a year at the OU; you may well need to reapply for year 1 of the course.

There are a couple things to keep in mind with that route though. Firstly, there may be some SFE funding entitlement matters to consider, as prior study rules may mean you lose your "gift" year from the OU. I would recommend initially registering on the Diploma of HE or full degree programme initially, and then don't accept an exit award when you leave to go to a brick uni, so you don't potentially fall afoul of any equivalent or lower level qualification rules on the funding side. @PQ might be able to advise more on the SFE side of things for going from PT/distance learning funding to full time funding with SFE (as there are some pitfalls).

Regarding the overlap between your current course and with your age, I'm not totally sure though. I believe the OU normally only accepts students who are 18 or over and have completed their school education, except for Scotland (which I think has a scheme where school students can start certain OU modules alongside their studies.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly
Hi

I could really do with some advice, I was originally thinking Nursing was for me but I have a lot of medical issues going on at the moment and I don't think this is the right career for me. I am now looking at studying Psychology through Open University and going on to studying a master's at university afterwards. I have a few questions if anyone could answer that would be great :smile:

Firstly, the starting date of the course is February 2021 and I finish my level 3 BTEC in May/June 2021. Would it be possible to start an OU course before finishing my BTEC and would I get the same funding?

And also, is it possible to do a year of psychology OU and then go to university to finish the course?

I hope this all makes sense and if anyone has done an OU in psychology I would love to hear your experiences :biggrin:

The normal starting date is October and I don't recommend starting in February because it just gets confusing as time goes on and can sometimes force you to have a gap year in some cases because of too many credits in one academic year and all that malarkey. I would recommend starting in October next year. I don't know how it would affect your funding if you started before that.
Yes you can do a year at the OU to prove you can work at degree level and transfer to another uni if you wanted, just check that the uni you want to go to will accept it.

Quick Reply

Latest