The Student Room Group

Deferring after getting visa

I want to know if it’s ever possible to defer an admission after getting your visa due to financial constraints.
What are the likely circumstances and challenges the person will or might face.

Pls reply ASAP. Thanks. 🥰
Try to phone your potential university, explain your ideas & challenges, see what their wise actual experience says. It will have happened before. Tho' of course we have the other challenge....

Things are still a bit chaotic, with one Northern UK university having nearly a thousand Covid positive students in Halls of Residence (according to press reports)
Reply 2
Thank you
Original post by Olatodayo
I want to know if it’s ever possible to defer an admission after getting your visa due to financial constraints.

Are you asking whether you can legitimately stay in the country on an education visa if you have deferred and so are not in education for the next year?
Original post by LuigiMario

Things are still a bit chaotic, with one Northern UK university having nearly a thousand Covid positive students in Halls of Residence (according to press reports)

Which university and which press reports? Linky?
Original post by Olatodayo

It is down to the individual uni and it will depend on the terms they set out, even then they have discretion. If you dont ask them they will charge you or you will lose the money paid thus far. Impossible to say without knowing which uni and which course, but it will most likely be on the website.
Original post by 999tigger
Which university and which press reports? Linky?

I didn't want to link to the occasionally reliable DailyWail, but here goes!

Coronavirus UK: 474 students and five staff members test ...
www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8806491 Coro...
1 day ago - Nearly 500 people have tested positive for coronavirus at the University of Sheffield in a mass outbreak of the disease likely to cause panic.

Nearly 4,000 students have Covid: 70 Durham University ...
www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8810251 Nearl...
1 hour ago - Around 56 universities across the UK have had at least one confirmed case of Covid-19, an analysis of university responses and media reports ...

Northern lockdown could get TOUGHER as pubs could be ...
www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8800845 Revel...
3 days ago - Meanwhile staff at Northumbria University - which has 770 students self-isolating with coronavirus - have threatened to strike due to Covid-19 ...

I think I heard an update from Northumbria, which was a bigger number than 770....

andrà tutto bene
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LuigiMario
I didn't want to link to the occasionally reliable DailyWail, but here goes!

Coronavirus UK: 474 students and five staff members test ...
www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8806491 Coro...
1 day ago - Nearly 500 people have tested positive for coronavirus at the University of Sheffield in a mass outbreak of the disease likely to cause panic.

Nearly 4,000 students have Covid: 70 Durham University ...
www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8810251 Nearl...
1 hour ago - Around 56 universities across the UK have had at least one confirmed case of Covid-19, an analysis of university responses and media reports ...

Northern lockdown could get TOUGHER as pubs could be ...
www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8800845 Revel...
3 days ago - Meanwhile staff at Northumbria University - which has 770 students self-isolating with coronavirus - have threatened to strike due to Covid-19 ...

I think I heard an update from Northumbria, which was a bigger number than 770....

andrà tutto bene

Why do all your links, only send you to the DM frontpage and not the article? That is the first time on TSR I have ever seen anyone do such a thing. Unhelpful.
You do realise there are 2.5 million students in HE?
There are over 150 unis and degree granting institutions.

Manchester has gone to 4000, but there are nearly 100,000 studes.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Why do all your links, only send you to the DM frontpage and not the article? That is the first time on TSR I have ever seen anyone do such a thing.
You do realise there are 2.5 million students in HE?
There are over 150 unis and degree granting institutions.

Yes, apologies, my links were not to honour the DM with clickbait, the home-root can have the "/news/article-8888888/" added and should work. yes, just tested, you don't need the string of "daily-Mail-Reveals"
(they were because I copied a blob of data from a search engine, not from DM themselves)
The media is in hysteria, I was replying to OP who asked what are the "likely circumstances " affecting his chance to rebook his college, normally it'd take half-a-day for than answer from a nice institution, but at present it might take a week?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending