The Student Room Group

Classics Applicants 2021

Hey all!!

I thought it might be nice to start a discussion about Classics and those applying to university to study it (as I haven't seen many threads!). I've applied to read Classics at Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Reading (and I actually got an offer yesterday!).
Is anyone else doing anything similar? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Future classicist here! I've applied to Oxford, Durham, Exeter, King's and Nottingham and just received an offer from Exeter! It's strange that they make replies so quickly this year. By the way, congratulations on your offer!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ajiang
Hi! Future classicist here! I've applied to Oxford, Durham, Exeter, King's and Nottingham and just received an offer from Exeter! It's strange that they make replies so quickly this year. By the way, congratulations for your offer!

Yay that’s so exciting - congratulations on your offer!! How’s your Oxford stuff going?
Reply 3
Original post by izzareid
Yay that’s so exciting - congratulations on your offer!! How’s your Oxford stuff going?

well...I would say that Oxford might not be my first choice since I'm an international student and the tuition fee is too high (around 31,000 pound per year) to be affordable. I felt quite depressed and disappointed when I had to abandon my goal... and those scholarships are too restricted and are not for the majority of students from ordinary backgrounds. In fact, I'm eligible for none of them:frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ajiang
well...I would say that Oxford might not be my first choice since I'm an international student and the tuition fee is too high (around 31,000 pound per year) to be affordable. I felt quite depressed and disappointed when I had to abandon my goal... and those scholarships are too restricted and are not for the majority of students from ordinary backgrounds. In fact, I'm eligible for none of them:frown:

Oh no!! Are you still going to go through the admissions process?
Reply 5
Oh no!! Are you still going to go through the admissions process?

Yes because I've paid 250 euros for the registration of the CLAT at a test centre. Also, I think that going through the whole process would be a meaningful experience for me, though I'm more keen about the offer from Durham.
Good luck with your Cambridge application!
Original post by ajiang
Yes because I've paid 250 euros for the registration of the CLAT at a test centre. Also, I think that going through the whole process would be a meaningful experience for me, though I'm more keen about the offer from Durham.
Good luck with your Cambridge application!

agh that's tough that Oxford is so expensive, but I hope the CLAT goes well and you get a Durham offer (:
Thanks for starting this thread!
I'm applying to Cambridge, Bristol, UCL, Edinburgh and Durham. I got a Bristol offer a few days ago, its defo v reassuring to get an offer before oxbridge interviews start...
Reply 8
Original post by Fionaanddonkey
Thanks for starting this thread!
I'm applying to Cambridge, Bristol, UCL, Edinburgh and Durham. I got a Bristol offer a few days ago, its defo v reassuring to get an offer before oxbridge interviews start...

Absolutely! And can I just say you are the first person that I’ve met who’s applying to Cambridge for classics - everyone else I’ve spoken to has been Oxford! What college are you applying to?
Hi! :smile: I've applied to Oxford (Wadham), Glasgow, Newcastle, KCL and Manchester. No offers yet but fingers crossed!
Absolutely! And can I just say you are the first person that I’ve met who’s applying to Cambridge for classics - everyone else I’ve spoken to has been Oxford! What college are you applying to?

Corpus Christi, hbu?
Original post by Venusplants
Hi! :smile: I've applied to Oxford (Wadham), Glasgow, Newcastle, KCL and Manchester. No offers yet but fingers crossed!

good luck! I don't know anyone who's got offers from any of those ones yet
Reply 12
Corpus Christi, hbu?

Gonville and Caius
Reply 13
Original post by Venusplants

Hi!! I heard Manchester are super slow at even acknowledging applications. Good luck with everything!!
good luck! I don't know anyone who's got offers from any of those ones yet

Thanks! Haha same, it's a bit slow at the moment but I'm hoping to hear back from Oxford about the interview soon. I know it's early yet but I'm kinda impatient. xD
Hi!! I heard Manchester are super slow at even acknowledging applications. Good luck with everything!!

That's the common thing I've heard! It's only my 3rd choice though and it's still October, so not too concerned. :smile: Thanks, you too!
Reply 16
agh that's tough that Oxford is so expensive, but I hope the CLAT goes well and you get a Durham offer (:

Thank you! Good luck with your Cambridge application then!
I’m applying to Classical Civilisation and Classical Studies! Who else is?
Original post by LegoSlayer

🙋🏽 Yup! Which unis? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by LegoSlayer

Hiya!! Which Unis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending