The Student Room Group

Do you ever just miss someone

And you know you are never going to see them or speak to them ever again, and they won't see nor speak to you ever again...

Not sure if I just want to know if this happens to others or if I am actually wanting advice :hmmmm:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yh my last day of yr 11 half the ppl weren't there and we were told to just leave so we had one period and said goodbye and then got stuck in lockdown
What advice do you want ? :smile:
Yep. Sadly got involved with a guy who moved the length of the country last year. Just beforehe told me he was still married and they were going to give it another go. We still occasionally speak but the first 6 months were just horrible
Yes - I met someone at uni about a year ago. We happened to see each other every Friday, but we’d never spoken. This happened for at least 3 months... I gradually developed an emotional bond with him because I used to see him help out with good causes and could see that he was a kind and sincere soul. He used to notice me too and we felt a connection. I hoped that things would progress and we would get married but then lockdown happened and I graduated from uni. So I’ll probably never see or hear from him again... yes sometimes I miss him so much and wished things were different... :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Yes - I met someone at uni about a year ago. We happened to see each other every Friday, but we’d never spoken. This happened for at least 3 months... I gradually developed an emotional bond with him because I used to see him help out with good causes and could see that he was a kind and sincere soul. He used to notice me too and we felt a connection. I hoped that things would progress and we would get married but then lockdown happened and I graduated from uni. So I’ll probably never see or hear from him again... yes sometimes I miss him so much and wished things were different... :frown:

Why not send him a message?
Original post by Redfrost
Why not send him a message?

I don’t have his number
I don’t have his number

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, surely in this day and age he has to appear somewhere within the remits of radio waves
I miss Rich Piana :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by ^_^/
yh my last day of yr 11 half the ppl weren't there and we were told to just leave so we had one period and said goodbye and then got stuck in lockdown

That sucks. Especailly as thats the traditional way to say goodbye to school and all those you wouldn't go out to meet again purposefully. Do you have any of their numbers at least, or socials so you can keep contact with them?
I believe years like year 11 affected this way will hold a meet up when it is possible and say their goodbyes etc then. Never know, this pandemic could bring more of you closer.

Original post by CaptainDuckie
What advice do you want ? :smile:

Advice how to not miss them?

Btw, CaptainDucki, this is basic comprehension :tongue:

Yep. Sadly got involved with a guy who moved the length of the country last year. Just beforehe told me he was still married and they were going to give it another go. We still occasionally speak but the first 6 months were just horrible

Sounds like that would have been a horrible thing to have to go through. Would you really have wanted to be in a relationship with a guy who failed to tell you he was married in the first place? Or were you both just talking as friends etc and not dating
Do you think he is just keeping contact with you as a back up in case things don't work out with his wife? (Wondering why you speak occasionally if the first 6 months were horrible)

You'd decided you wanted to marry him without knowing much about him? Girl, you jumping too far ahead. It is possible you get talking and think, actually no, not this guy.
Obviously if you don't find a way to contact this guy, through asking others to see if anyone has his number and getting them to ask their contacts / finding him on social media somewhere, this will remain as a what if, and in due time you may forget if nothing comes from it. But at least you can say you tried.
Rn, it seems like you miss the idea of him and what you thought could have been, but it hasn't happened irl yet, so you don't know how it would pan out irl until it does.

I don’t have his number

Find a way to get his number. Someone at uni will have it. There are so many uni groups etc on whatsapp, so you just need to do a lot of asking around and getting others to ask around.

Original post by Redfrost
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, surely in this day and age he has to appear somewhere within the remits of radio waves

I wouldn't be found on social platforms with my name.

Original post by RichPiana
I miss Rich Piana :frown:

Spoiler

For a sec I thought you meant yourself, realised you are talking about The actual Rich Piana.
(edited 3 years ago)
Don't really tend to miss people, and if I do it is fleeting
Yeah I get that. Did you ever miss him a lot more and found it gradually got less?

Original post by Synergy~
Don't really tend to miss people, and if I do it is fleeting

No one at all?
By fleeting what do you mean? You miss them randomly for a few seconds?
Sometimes, I just force the feeling back down. Nothing I can do to change what happened.
Original post by DiddyDec
Sometimes, I just force the feeling back down. Nothing I can do to change what happened.

That's what I would like to know. How do you force the feeling back down? It ain't a physical thing you can push ygm
You mean like death or have they simply no contact with you anymore? I rarely miss anyone.
You mean like death or have they simply no contact with you anymore? I rarely miss anyone.

Both but here I mean the latter, having no contact with the person, despite them being alive (I think they are anyway)

You don't miss people because you don't make meaningful connections with them?
I do not miss anyone because I look to the future, not the past. If someone doesn't want to be a part of my life anymore, it is their loss.
Escapism is the easiest way, do something that stops your mind from processing conscious thoughts. Games, books, etc, give your mind something to focus entirely on. I don't find watching films or TV shows work because they don't require any input whereas audiobooks doo work because it requires you to use your imagination.

Alternatively you can go down the route of self acceptance but that is far harder and for me requires far more effort if I am not in a good mood.
I do not miss anyone because I look to the future, not the past. If someone doesn't want to be a part of my life anymore, it is their loss.

I like that way of looking at things but don't you ever feel nostalgic, even for some moments?

Original post by DiddyDec
Escapism is the easiest way, do something that stops your mind from processing conscious thoughts. Games, books, etc, give your mind something to focus entirely on. I don't find watching films or TV shows work because they don't require any input whereas audiobooks doo work because it requires you to use your imagination.

Alternatively you can go down the route of self acceptance but that is far harder and for me requires far more effort if I am not in a good mood.

Works short term, escapism does. I find I have to escape my entire life away to take this route if you get what I mean.

Self acceptance? That helps to stop missing someone? How?

I see. Well I hope this happens for me.
You accept there is **** all you can do now to change the past and move on with your life. It sounds a lot easier than it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending