The Student Room Group

Can I use this person as a reference? Mental health in Tatters.

I’ve been working for Tesco for 2 years now. I’ve recently secured employment in pwc and it is conditional to a background check. I’ve the last 2 months, I have not been getting on very well with one of my bosses and I have been through disciplinary action as a result. However, last year I transferred store to one in England for my final
Year of uni. Can I just use my manager over there as my reference and not the store in currently at? It’s still a Tesco store and doing the same jobs (even more actually) and I got on well with boss over there. I’m just nervous in case they contact my store now abs they give me a bad reference and result in losing the pwc job. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been working for Tesco for 2 years now. I’ve recently secured employment in pwc and it is conditional to a background check. I’ve the last 2 months, I have not been getting on very well with one of my bosses and I have been through disciplinary action as a result. However, last year I transferred store to one in England for my final
Year of uni. Can I just use my manager over there as my reference and not the store in currently at? It’s still a Tesco store and doing the same jobs (even more actually) and I got on well with boss over there. I’m just nervous in case they contact my store now abs they give me a bad reference and result in losing the pwc job. Thanks!

Also I worked in that’s store from September 2019- March 2020, so it’s recent.
Reply 2
Depends how long they need the person giving the reference to have known you.

References must be factual, and a lot of places just tend to confirm that you worked there between certain dates. It's all Tesco, so maybe it could just go through HR rather than bosses.
Original post by Surnia
Depends how long they need the person giving the reference to have known you.

References must be factual, and a lot of places just tend to confirm that you worked there between certain dates. It's all Tesco, so maybe it could just go through HR rather than bosses.

This is probably right. The majority of companies nowadays provide purely factual references, to the effect of "We can confirm that <name> worked for <company> between <date> and <date> in the role of <job>". Unless your new employer has specifically asked for a reference from a recent manager you're probably fine putting the name of the other manager down, but irrespective I would have thought that it's highly unlikely that Tesco's policies allow their managers to sit down and write anything in depth about employees for the purpose of references. I suspect you'll get a factual reference regardless of which name you put down. Even if I'm wrong about that, it is extremely unlikely that your current manager would refer to disciplinary action in a reference unless that disciplinary action resulted in your dismissal for gross misconduct. If they did that would leave the possibility open for you to not get the other job because of a poor reference, which in turn could cause them issues (including possible legal issues) with you, and that's simply not a risk that the vast majority of companies would allow their managers to take, particularly not a company like Tesco. So whichever way you spin this, I think you're fine and this is not something you should be worrying about.

Quick Reply

Latest