The Student Room Group

Should i change my uni choice?

I havent yet sent my application off and i am thinking of changing royal holloway to aberystwyth but i am unsure. I really like aberystwyth (as far as i can judge using the internet ) and I was wondering what it is like. I would like somewhere somewhat exciting w a little bit to do. I come from cornwall so i am used to small places. Is the employability good? Is it enjoyable there? I am applying to German and International relations and Royal holloway's grade requirements are ABB and aberystwyth is 104-120 points (120=BBB) if that has any bearing. I have heard some negative things about royal holloway and feel unsure as i feel like i have probably just been drawn to the building which probably isnt a good thing.

Scroll to see replies

Hey @something_orphic I understand that it's a difficult decision particularly without being able to visit:frown: It sounds like you have done good research though so maybe make a list of your own pros and cons of each Uni including comparing the course content.

I'm going to tag in @Aberystwyth University and @Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador who may be able to help with some of your questions:smile:
Original post by something_orphic
I havent yet sent my application off and i am thinking of changing royal holloway to aberystwyth but i am unsure. I really like aberystwyth (as far as i can judge using the internet ) and I was wondering what it is like. I would like somewhere somewhat exciting w a little bit to do. I come from cornwall so i am used to small places. Is the employability good? Is it enjoyable there? I am applying to German and International relations and Royal holloway's grade requirements are ABB and aberystwyth is 104-120 points (120=BBB) if that has any bearing. I have heard some negative things about royal holloway and feel unsure as i feel like i have probably just been drawn to the building which probably isnt a good thing.

what are your other 4 choices?

Basically Aber is a small seaside town a long way from major centres of population. The nearest major cities would be Swansea about 2 hours away and Cardiff and Birmingham 3 hours ago. It is very well known for its high percentage of pubs per head of population. The university itself is on a hill above the town. The town has numerous shops and a couple of large supermarkets. Its location is either its benefit due to its remoteness or a put off as it is way away from most of the UK population. It will take hours to get to from Cornwall. You would change trains at Birmingham and possibly Shrewsbury. It is something similar to say Falmouth but a bit smaller. Much more remote than Falmouth which has places like Truro not too far away where Aber has nowhere near there of that size.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+student+videos&docid=608030192633122095&mid=980A0CC87F392BA1AA37980A0CC87F392BA1AA37&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+student+videos&&view=detail&mid=829AE1F618725DC7CABE829AE1F618725DC7CABE&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Daberystwyth%2Bstudent%2Bvideos%26FORM%3DHDRSC3.
Original post by PQ
what are your other 4 choices?

Bath (i am eligible for an alternative offer if they decide to give me a place but im expecting to get rejected), Exeter, Cardiff and Portsmouth.
Original post by swanseajack1
Basically Aber is a small seaside town a long way from major centres of population. The nearest major cities would be Swansea about 2 hours away and Cardiff and Birmingham 3 hours ago. It is very well known for its high percentage of pubs per head of population. The university itself is on a hill above the town. The town has numerous shops and a couple of large supermarkets. Its location is either its benefit due to its remoteness or a put off as it is way away from most of the UK population. It will take hours to get to from Cornwall. You would change trains at Birmingham and possibly Shrewsbury. It is something similar to say Falmouth but a bit smaller. Much more remote than Falmouth which has places like Truro not too far away where Aber has nowhere near there of that size.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+student+videos&docid=608030192633122095&mid=980A0CC87F392BA1AA37980A0CC87F392BA1AA37&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+student+videos&&view=detail&mid=829AE1F618725DC7CABE829AE1F618725DC7CABE&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Daberystwyth%2Bstudent%2Bvideos%26FORM%3DHDRSC3.

Thank you thats really helpful. Yeah i did google how to get there and its going to be ages but i am used to long journeys bc my dad used to live in Newcastle so it was a minimum 9 hours. I kinda just thought Cornwall is ages away from anywhere so i'll be willing to travel for the right uni i think the easiest way is to change at Birmingham and i think it said it would be something like 10 hours but my brother has a car so if i go it'll be a 6 hour car journey initially. I quite like Cornwall i just want to move out because of family reasons and prices here are ridiculous along w the severe lack of jobs. I am quite a quiet reserved person and have spent extended periods of time in busy cities and i think that isnt really for me so i dont think i would be put off too much. Thanks for the size reference that is really helpful and an actual description of how isolated it is i'll bare that in mind.:smile:
Bath (i am eligible for an alternative offer if they decide to give me a place but im expecting to get rejected), Exeter, Cardiff and Portsmouth.

All those places are an awful lot bigger than Aber. Bath and Exeter would be at least 5 times its size and Cardiff much bigger still.
All those places are an awful lot bigger than Aber. Bath and Exeter would be at least 5 times its size and Cardiff much bigger still.

Yes i am aware. I basically struggled to find unis that did my course within my grade range that i actually liked (swansea and some others did it but i didnt fancy Swansea and i didnt fancy going to Scotland). I have been to Bath and Exeter and did my research on Cardiff. I feel a little torn between going somewhere completely different and maybe going to somewhere similar-ish to where i live now (hence Aberystwyth). I am really struggling with choices though i think i must've looked at every single university there is almost. I have been to Newcastle loads and know it really well the size doesn't bother me it was more the clubbing culture and how unsafe it felt at times. I know Cardiff is quite clubby but i did some research and people have said it is very friendly and one of the safest cities and that you can kinda avoid the club scene by avoiding areas on saturdays (hopefully this is true let me know what you think). I basically care about the culture and friendliness along with the unis reputation to an extent. Tbh im only really sure about Bath and Cardiff. If you have any suggestions let me know :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes i am aware. I basically struggled to find unis that did my course within my grade range that i actually liked (swansea and some others did it but i didnt fancy Swansea and i didnt fancy going to Scotland). I have been to Bath and Exeter and did my research on Cardiff. I feel a little torn between going somewhere completely different and maybe going to somewhere similar-ish to where i live now (hence Aberystwyth). I am really struggling with choices though i think i must've looked at every single university there is almost. I have been to Newcastle loads and know it really well the size doesn't bother me it was more the clubbing culture and how unsafe it felt at times. I know Cardiff is quite clubby but i did some research and people have said it is very friendly and one of the safest cities and that you can kinda avoid the club scene by avoiding areas on saturdays (hopefully this is true let me know what you think). I basically care about the culture and friendliness along with the unis reputation to an extent. Tbh im only really sure about Bath and Cardiff. If you have any suggestions let me know :smile:

Do you mind me asking why not Swansea. It is a lot smaller than Cardiff and has lower crime rate. Cardiff is quite a big city. A little bit like Bristol but on a smaller scales. It has lots of bars and clubs and like everywhere you need to be careful. The shopping centre there is very nice and the university is in a decent area. The big drawback is it isnt a campus university in the sense of Bath or Exeter. Most of its accommodation is a fair walk away. Like every major city St Mary's Street can be a problem late at night but then that would be true of everywhere. It does have a bit of crime though.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/crime-rates-in-university-cities-and-towns
Do you mind me asking why not Swansea. It is a lot smaller than Cardiff and has lower crime rate. Cardiff is quite a big city. A little bit like Bristol but on a smaller scales. It has lots of bars and clubs and like everywhere you need to be careful. The shopping centre there is very nice and the university is in a decent area. The big drawback is it isnt a campus university in the sense of Bath or Exeter. Most of its accommodation is a fair walk away. Like every major city St Mary's Street can be a problem late at night but then that would be true of everywhere. It does have a bit of crime though.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/crime-rates-in-university-cities-and-towns

I just didn't find Swansea that appealing. A lot of people commented it was a trek to get anywhere and that it was a way out of Swansea with a poor nightlife (i quite like how aber has lots of pubs and has all the essentials you need and an okay bus service). I dont mind trekking and i am used to it living in Cornwall with poor transport it just doesn't seem worth it for me and there didn't appear to be many appealing qualities about Swansea Uni (unless i am wrong). It just very much seemed like you were going to a university to study and that was kind of what you were getting with no added features. Yeah i did research Cardiff and it does obviously have crime bc every city does but it's overall a safeish city. i am not paranoid about crime aha i just remember how cold Newcastle felt and despite being situated in a really good area it still was unsafe idk how to explain it not my vibe with all the club scene and not a lot else that i actually liked about the city hence why i have avoided similar cities. I quite like the castles and the cafes etc and how Cardiff is in Wales (i might want to pick up some welsh although Cardiff obviously doesn't as a high population of welsh speakers compared to other places but they offer courses). I also attended the virtual open days and the type of people who seemed to go for my course at Cardiff seemed like my kind of people. I kinda decided i could deal with the club scene in return for the other qualities that the city offers if that makes sense.
I just didn't find Swansea that appealing. A lot of people commented it was a trek to get anywhere and that it was a way out of Swansea with a poor nightlife (i quite like how aber has lots of pubs and has all the essentials you need and an okay bus service). I dont mind trekking and i am used to it living in Cornwall with poor transport it just doesn't seem worth it for me and there didn't appear to be many appealing qualities about Swansea Uni (unless i am wrong). It just very much seemed like you were going to a university to study and that was kind of what you were getting with no added features. Yeah i did research Cardiff and it does obviously have crime bc every city does but it's overall a safeish city. i am not paranoid about crime aha i just remember how cold Newcastle felt and despite being situated in a really good area it still was unsafe idk how to explain it not my vibe with all the club scene and not a lot else that i actually liked about the city hence why i have avoided similar cities. I quite like the castles and the cafes etc and how Cardiff is in Wales (i might want to pick up some welsh although Cardiff obviously doesn't as a high population of welsh speakers compared to other places but they offer courses). I also attended the virtual open days and the type of people who seemed to go for my course at Cardiff seemed like my kind of people. I kinda decided i could deal with the club scene in return for the other qualities that the city offers if that makes sense.

I think the issues you are talking about arent really true. Both of Swansea' s campus are no further from the city than say Bath. A 10 minute journey into the city centre. There are regular buses going between both campuses and into the city centre. As for nightlife Swansea has been given a purple flag for it. Wind Street is the main nightlife area and has a reputation for miles around very similar to Cardiff,s St Marys' Street but on a smaller scale. The nightlife in Swansea is better than the nightlife in Bath or Exeter.

Aber is over a mile out of the city and Bath about 2 miles. Both are on huge hills. Swansea's Singleton campus is actually walking distance if you fancy a long walk. It is very flat alongside the seafront. Swansea is actually safer than Cardiff as the link shows. Its bad areas are areas student would never go to on the outskirts of town.

If you are longer for smaller places like Bath or Exeter have you looked at Lancaster, York or Durham. They are quite a way up North but similar smaller cities.

Abery is gorgeous, its a seaside resort so you cant go wrong with having a walk on the seafront, so very good if your feeling stressed and under pressure. Not sure on the nightlife, but it is on its own a bit, so not sure how the transport links are to major cities when you need them.
Lancaster, daughter goes there. if safety is your priority which it is hers, Lancaster is brilliant for that. She lives on campus for first year and she can just nip to the library at 2am, and come back on her own and she doesnt feel unsafe. Its got good security with the college porters and the campus is in a village, so its pretty great. Lancaster is a smaller city, but does have pretty much all you need and buses run every 10 mins from campus. plus you have morecambe seafront which you can catch the bus to. Its got 3 clubs. Sugarhouse which is run by the uni, so only uni students can get in. Then theres Dalton/Glow which my daughter loves. And then Kanteena. She liked kanteena but normally they have like live music there which wasnt playing because of covid, but she would go there again once life is back to normal. You have ashton memorial and the castle too in the city. And not forgetting bus from the city to the lakes, preston and blackpool and trains to liverpool/manchester and im pretty sure they go to edinburgh too.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ghostlady
Abery is gorgeous, its a seaside resort so you cant go wrong with having a walk on the seafront, so very good if your feeling stressed and under pressure. Not sure on the nightlife, but it is on its own a bit, so not sure how the transport links are to major cities when you need them.
Lancaster, daughter goes there. if safety is your priority which it is hers, Lancaster is brilliant for that. She lives on campus for first year and she can just nip to the library at 2am, and come back on her own and she doesnt feel unsafe. Its got good security with the college porters and the campus is in a village, so its pretty great. Lancaster is a smaller city, but does have pretty much all you need and buses run every 10 mins from campus. plus you have morecambe seafront which you can catch the bus to. Its got 3 clubs. Sugarhouse which is run by the uni, so only uni students can get in. Then theres Dalton/Glow which my daughter loves. And then Kanteena. She liked kanteena but normally they have like live music there which wasnt playing because of covid, but she would go there again once life is back to normal. You have ashton memorial and the castle too in the city. And not forgetting bus from the city to the lakes, preston and blackpool and trains to liverpool/manchester and im pretty sure they go to edinburgh too.

Thank you. Unfortunately i cant apply to Lancaster because i don't quite meet the grade requirements otherwise i probably would've sounds lovely. I feel like maybe i should just apply for aber because i need to find somewhere that has some nice spots because i have pretty bad anxiety and would like to be as chilled out as possible at uni (if that is possible aha).
I think the issues you are talking about arent really true. Both of Swansea' s campus are no further from the city than say Bath. A 10 minute journey into the city centre. There are regular buses going between both campuses and into the city centre. As for nightlife Swansea has been given a purple flag for it. Wind Street is the main nightlife area and has a reputation for miles around very similar to Cardiff,s St Marys' Street but on a smaller scale. The nightlife in Swansea is better than the nightlife in Bath or Exeter.

Aber is over a mile out of the city and Bath about 2 miles. Both are on huge hills. Swansea's Singleton campus is actually walking distance if you fancy a long walk. It is very flat alongside the seafront. Swansea is actually safer than Cardiff as the link shows. Its bad areas are areas student would never go to on the outskirts of town.

If you are longer for smaller places like Bath or Exeter have you looked at Lancaster, York or Durham. They are quite a way up North but similar smaller cities.

okay maybe i have been misinformed i'll check out Swansea again. I have looked at Lancaster and i don't meet the grade requirements sadly and i dont obviously meet the grade requirements for Durham aha. York doesn't do my course. As you can see this is kinda a running theme and i am struggling to find unis let alone unis that i like really. I also would prefer not going up North as i am estranged from my dad and he has been known to stalk people so i would like to at least avoid anywhere near Newcastle to keep my mind at ease (if that makes sense). maybe i do need to look at smaller places. I realised just now that Kent does a course similar enough to mine. Is kent a bad university do you know?
okay maybe i have been misinformed i'll check out Swansea again. I have looked at Lancaster and i don't meet the grade requirements sadly and i dont obviously meet the grade requirements for Durham aha. York doesn't do my course. As you can see this is kinda a running theme and i am struggling to find unis let alone unis that i like really. I also would prefer not going up North as i am estranged from my dad and he has been known to stalk people so i would like to at least avoid anywhere near Newcastle to keep my mind at ease (if that makes sense). maybe i do need to look at smaller places. I realised just now that Kent does a course similar enough to mine. Is kent a bad university do you know?

Kent has always had a good reputation. It is a fairly small city. Campus is apparently about a mile from the city centre. What course are you looking at. What grades are you predicted.
Kent has always had a good reputation. It is a fairly small city. Campus is apparently about a mile from the city centre. What course are you looking at. What grades are you predicted.

German and International relations (or politics i am flexible on what they offer just something like that as it varies between each uni) ABB. I Have just looked at Swansea uni again. I think i got confused because the reviews are so varied some say it ages away from the city others only 10 mins so i guess they didn't state whether they were walking or not and it depends on what accommodation they are in (i looked at it a while back) it actually looks kinda nice. Thank you imma do some more research and might apply.
German and International relations (or politics i am flexible on what they offer just something like that as it varies between each uni) ABB. I Have just looked at Swansea uni again. I think i got confused because the reviews are so varied some say it ages away from the city others only 10 mins so i guess they didn't state whether they were walking or not and it depends on what accommodation they are in (i looked at it a while back) it actually looks kinda nice. Thank you imma do some more research and might apply.

What about Reading?
What about Reading?

A good option. Similar size city to Exeter and easy to get to from Cornwall.
hey!

I have a conditional offer from Aberystwyth and it’s my first choice! (Different course to you)

I’m yet to visit due to Covid but if you have any questions, i maybe be able to help a little with what I’ve researched? X
What about Reading?

I looked at reading and it just didn't appeal to me for some reason i watched loads of videos and people reviewing it. I think it is a brilliant university i just idk don't see myself going there. Thank you for the suggestion though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending