The Student Room Group

Speech therapy pre registration masters - loans confusion

Hi all,

After a few years of having graduated (BA Sociology with Social Psychology, 2:1) and discovering that the office world maybe just isn't for me, I'm considering (after spending some time volunteering) revisiting a past aspiration of mine and applying to get on to a Speech and language therapy pre registration masters course.

However, while trying to get information on what I'd need to do this, I'm coming up against conflicting funding information. I know the £5000 NHS bursary would be available, but there's confusing information about whether I would be able to get out a loan from the student loan company. The Masters Loan page on gov.uk states that if I have the NHS bursary, I can't take out any loan, which means I would not be able to pay for the course. However, elsewhere on the gov.uk website it states that pre registration healthcare masters can apply for loans from the TLS (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/healthcare-education-funding-for-postgraduate-and-dental-students/healthcare-education-funding-for-postgraduate-and-dental-students).

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm so confused. I really want to be able to consider this as a future route for me and work towards it but if the fees issue is that insurmountable I can't see it being a realistic option even if I blow all my savings.
Reply 1
If you don’t have a master’s already, don’t worry about funding. As long as you meet residency requirements eg lived in UK for so many of the past few years etc. you will likely meet the criteria for whatever funding there is available.
This page suggests that a pre-registrationnpostgraduate healthcare course would come under the same bracket as undergraduate application:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
59F3A9E9-1FC1-4FD7-9BA6-CCABE4788653.jpg.jpeg

So you would apply under the undergraduate system which allows you to receive the bursary also.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by giella
If you don’t have a master’s already, don’t worry about funding. As long as you meet residency requirements eg lived in UK for so many of the past few years etc. you will likely meet the criteria for whatever funding there is available.

I don't already have a masters, no. But there seems to be a contradiction as to whether I'd be eligible for both the NHS bursary and a loan. The NHS bursary is awesome because it doesn't have to be paid back, but I can't live and pay fees just on that.
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
59F3A9E9-1FC1-4FD7-9BA6-CCABE4788653.jpg.jpeg

Yes - such is the contradiction! It says I might but it's really not clear, and then it says 'limited' and I don't know what that means.
Original post by Fleeples
Yes - such is the contradiction! It says I might but it's really not clear, and then it says 'limited' and I don't know what that means.

If you look at the first link I posted the postgrad pre ref courses are included under the undergrad scheme and that allows you to receive the bursary also
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending