The Student Room Group

Who else can not wait to get vaccinated?

Mod note: We understand that there's a lot of uncertainty around currently, and we're all working to find the right information as quickly as possible. When posting, please be mindful to not share misinformation, not to present your own opinion as fact, and please link to official sources (where possible). If you see a post you believe may be deliberately misleading, just hit the report button. Please be supportive of other students during this stressful time by limiting the spread of misinformation. Please check the government and NHS websites for the most up-to-date advice.

Why only available to elderly??

Scroll to see replies

Back again?
If I'm completely honest, I don't agree in the way in which they've set out to administer and distribute. I appreciate the elderly are usually more vulnerable, but they're also the ones who are usually not working, retired, at home and less at risk of being around a lot of people. I personally think they should've gone after those working in care, hospitals, doctors and other places with a lot of people first, regardless of age. Those who choose not to take care of themselves - i.e. those who smoke, are morbidly obese and choose not to do anything about it, should've been at the bottom of the list. Why should they get it first if they don't care to look after themselves in the first place? Especially older people who've smoked their entire life.
Because they're the most vulnerable. The aim of all these measures is to keep hospitals at a level they can cope with. If the young gets vaccinated the elderly will still flood hospitals, meaning that more young people will also die because there will be fewer resources available to them in case of car accidents etc.

Hospital staff is already getting vaccinated regardless of age.
Original post by Manclass98
If I'm completely honest, I don't agree in the way in which they've set out to administer and distribute. I appreciate the elderly are usually more vulnerable, but they're also the ones who are usually not working, retired, at home and less at risk of being around a lot of people. I personally think they should've gone after those working in care, hospitals, doctors and other places with a lot of people first, regardless of age. Those who choose not to take care of themselves - i.e. those who smoke, are morbidly obese and choose not to do anything about it, should've been at the bottom of the list. Why should they get it first if they don't care to look after themselves in the first place? Especially older people who've smoked their entire life.

No I think you should go to your GP if you want it. But idk
Reply 5
I’m due to be vaccinated in the next few weeks (NHS key worker). It’s not just the elderly. Those that are also clinically vulnerable will be offered and frontline NHS staff, regardless of age.
Original post by emptyfield
Because they're the most vulnerable. The aim of all these measures is to keep hospitals at a level they can cope with. If the young gets vaccinated the elderly will still flood hospitals, meaning that more young people will also die because there will be fewer resources available to them in case of car accidents etc.

Flood hospitals? It's an absolute joke if you think they're 'bursting at the seams' as it were - I regularly attend a large regional hospital with my mother for appointments and they've literally closed entire wards, corridors are empty and there's hardly any staff around ever. This hospital is supposedly one of the busiest in the North, too.
Flood hospitals? It's an absolute joke if you think they're 'bursting at the seams' as it were - I regularly attend a large regional hospital with my mother for appointments and they've literally closed entire wards, corridors are empty and there's hardly any staff around ever. This hospital is supposedly one of the busiest in the North, too.

Yeah have fun with your tinfoil hat.

The problem most probably isn’t with the space, it’s with the staffing, the nurses and doctors, as you said are hardly around probably because they are providing life saving care. So yes I bet these poor nurses who only want to help people are rushed off their feet trying to save lives.

What about the average person though??
Yeah have fun with your tinfoil hat.

Tinfoil hat? I'm very much aware COVID exists, but it's hilarious to hear of hospitals supposedly not being able to cope, and yet the handful I've been to across the year all had wards closed off and plenty of empty beds they weren't using. No Facebook science needed, I'm afraid.
Tinfoil hat? I'm very much aware COVID exists, but it's hilarious to hear of hospitals supposedly not being able to cope, and yet the handful I've been to across the year all had wards closed off and plenty of empty beds they weren't using. No Facebook science needed, I'm afraid.

Would you take the vaccine?
Original post by Anonymous
The problem most probably isn’t with the space, it’s with the staffing, the nurses and doctors, as you said are hardly around probably because they are providing life saving care. So yes I bet these poor nurses who only want to help people are rushed off their feet trying to save lives.

I can't vouch for every hospital in the UK, but the one I spent approximately 6 months of my life in just last year had very few staff actually doing anything. The facilities stunk, i.e. showers and toilets, cleaners perhaps came round once every couple of hours looking less than thrilled to be there, nurses sitting around eating behind their desk, only bothering to look into anything if I went and asked them 20+ times. Can't say they looked rushed of their feet.
Reply 13

My Trust have started to evacuate patients to other hospitals, in other counties due to the lack of beds available. There’s ambulances queuing outside A&E for hours on end to be seen. They’ve just escalated to OPAL level 4 (the highest OPAL level). Intensive Care beds are non-existent, meaning that someone who develops severe sepsis, has a dangerous fall etc cannot have a bed. It’s not just COVID that we’re dealing with. We’ve also been in huge demand for ambulances.

I can assure you that the whole ‘hospitals are empty, or I’ve been and seen empty beds’ message is NOT TRUE across the majority of Trusts.

We also don’t sit around doing nothing. Extremely insulting considering we’ve been working non-stop, watching our patients and colleagues die and it’s still a big conspiracy/ fake to some. Some respect would be nice.
Why not??

Appreciate that the ones near you are 'quiet', but that hardly gives you the right to comment on EVERY hospital. Also, I thought people had to attend appointments alone these days, yet you were allowed in🧐....
The vaccine is safe! People wouldn’t be taking it if it wasn’t safe.
I completely agree. Nothing against those who want to take it but me and my family will not be taking the vaccine.
That’s authoritarianism. This is the equivalent of wanting to force everyone to take the vaccine. It should be a personal choice.
It's not like the vaccine will kill you or make you ill or anything like that

Latest

Trending

Trending