The Student Room Group

18 year old need to gain weight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skajkk
I don't feel comfortable with myself going into a gym as of now, and second, it will burn alot of calories and i will have to eat alot more than i already do, which is also alot. I don't wanna be only muscles when being way to skinny, i think thats ugly. I'd rather gain some kilos, idc if it's fat, then start working out fulltime whilst also gaining weight, i feel like it's the perfect balance

Resistance training does not burn a lot of kcalories, maybe 200 in a session if you are lucky, literally a chocolate bar thats it. And you will not only be muscle, it takes years to put on considerable muscle thats why I am telling you to start now. Show me a picture of someone you want to look like.
Carbohydrates and fats.
Eat more pork as your source of protein (usually contains more fat)
Reply 22
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Resistance training does not burn a lot of kcalories, maybe 200 in a session if you are lucky, literally a chocolate bar thats it. And you will not only be muscle, it takes years to put on considerable muscle thats why I am telling you to start now. Show me a picture of someone you want to look like.

yeah bro i hear you, makes sense indeed, i am happy that you are trying to convince me really, means alot man.
And about picture of what i maybe wanna look like; I just did a quick google search and found something i find pretty moderate. https://gyazo.com/fa97257d7bbd0e2620a00b49afda5a79
He isn't skinny, and he isn't like unbelievably big. I am a very far road away from that but i mean, that would be cool. Like if i just had a whole gym for myself i wouldn't doubt working out but i don't feel comfortable going there and i don't know man¨

edit: As i said i'll be fine if i'm not a muscly guy, as long as i'm normal weight, it's all i care about at this point, it's been to long. Ofcourse i'd love to have more muscles but at this point i just wanna be normal weight :/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by skajkk
Hey!
I am 18 years old, and i am VERY skinny. I don't mind being skinny, in fact i'd be happy skinny. The problem is that i am waaaay to skinny. I don't feel comfortable sharing my weight, but i'm about 184 cm.
I started with a gainer called " Supreme mass " and i drink it twice a day, which gives me around 950 calories extra in total a day.
I started yesterday, and i'm eating breakfast, lunch and dinner up upon that, and i eat some teaspoons of peanutbutter every now and then throughout the day.
Do you think this will help me gain weight?
Background;
Tried gainer last year which was 1250kcal a serving, some days i drank a total of 2500 ( 2 portions ) a day combined with 3 meals a day. Still i didn't even gain half a kilo for a whole month of that. All throughout my life i have been eating like a horse, alot in general, alot of junk food, and i still can't gain weight, even tho i don't workout or burn calories.
It's simple for people to say " Eat more calories than you burn " but trust me that is not enough.
Thinking back of this period, i feel like i might not have eaten all 3 meals besides the gainer all days, i wasn't fully commited. Hence i wanna start now again, eat my normal meals, no exceptions, and drinking this gainer for 950kcal extra a day.
Do you have any other tips for small foods or snacks i can eat during the day? I have bracers so just eating peanuts or nuts won't be so good for my bracers i think, just putting it out there.
And to sum it up, do you think if i continue like this i will gain weight? My goal to begin with is to gain 10 kilos, so i atleast can feel comfortable with my type of skinny. Right now i am WAY to skinny.

I need some motivation and or some tips

btw are you a guy?
Reply 24
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
btw are you a guy?

Yes i am
Original post by skajkk
yeah bro i hear you, makes sense indeed, i am happy that you are trying to convince me really, means alot man.
And about picture of what i maybe wanna look like; I just did a quick google search and found something i find pretty moderate. https://gyazo.com/fa97257d7bbd0e2620a00b49afda5a79
He isn't skinny, and he isn't like unbelievably big. I am a very far road away from that but i mean, that would be cool. Like if i just had a whole gym for myself i wouldn't doubt working out but i don't feel comfortable going there and i don't know man

Np bro. That guy has a moderate amount of muscle mass but he is pretty lean, gaining a few kilos of fat will take you away from that goal. Your in the perfect position to lean bulk while resistance training, aim to gain 1lb a week on average. If your consistent with this for a year while following a proper program you will be very close to him. Why are you uncomfortable with going to the gym? Literally nobody in the gym cares what you do there or if your skinny, everyone is too busy focusing on themselves.
Reply 26
Np bro. That guy has a moderate amount of muscle mass but he is pretty lean, gaining a few kilos of fat will take you away from that goal. Your in the perfect position to lean bulk while resistance training, aim to gain 1lb a week on average. If your consistent with this for a year while following a proper program you will be very close to him. Why are you uncomfortable with going to the gym? Literally nobody in the gym cares what you do there or if your skinny, everyone is too busy focusing on themselves.

Yeah i know for a fact that people don't really give a f*ck about others in the gym, but that doesn't matter, i still can feel people looking at me, i can sense if someone looks at me and maybe feel bad for me or even find it funny about my weight. I have the most loving parents ever, but there is noway i'm even gonna go around without a hoodie around them doesn't matter how warm in the summer, i don't even feel comfortable enough to do that. And it's gonna be really weird to be in a gym with a frigging hoodie on working out, like damn i can feel on forehand how much i'd be distracted and anxious doing that. I just wish i had a private gym bro, like i haven't been able to live my whole life as i wanna live it, been stricted due to being skinny and feeling bad about that even since i was 8 years old i have had these problems, it ****ing sucks honestly. When you hear that point of view from me you might understand that i don't care what it takes, or that i don't care what sort of fat or muscle i'll add, aslong as i'm normal weight i'll be happy and thats it, even though it could be better being a guy with muscles, but it's not my priority as of now, even tho i truly wish it was
Original post by skajkk
Yeah i know for a fact that people don't really give a f*ck about others in the gym, but that doesn't matter, i still can feel people looking at me, i can sense if someone looks at me and maybe feel bad for me or even find it funny about my weight. I have the most loving parents ever, but there is noway i'm even gonna go around without a hoodie around them doesn't matter how warm in the summer, i don't even feel comfortable enough to do that. And it's gonna be really weird to be in a gym with a frigging hoodie on working out, like damn i can feel on forehand how much i'd be distracted and anxious doing that. I just wish i had a private gym bro, like i haven't been able to live my whole life as i wanna live it, been stricted due to being skinny and feeling bad about that even since i was 8 years old i have had these problems, it ****ing sucks honestly. When you hear that point of view from me you might understand that i don't care what it takes, or that i don't care what sort of fat or muscle i'll add, aslong as i'm normal weight i'll be happy and thats it, even though it could be better being a guy with muscles, but it's not my priority as of now, even tho i truly wish it was

Bro you can workout in a hoodie, a lot of ppl do that. There are so many skinny ppl who start going to the gym its a normal thing, you are not an outlier.
Reply 28
Original post by skajkk
Hey!
I am 18 years old, and i am VERY skinny. I don't mind being skinny, in fact i'd be happy skinny. The problem is that i am waaaay to skinny. I don't feel comfortable sharing my weight, but i'm about 184 cm.
I started with a gainer called " Supreme mass " and i drink it twice a day, which gives me around 950 calories extra in total a day.
I started yesterday, and i'm eating breakfast, lunch and dinner up upon that, and i eat some teaspoons of peanutbutter every now and then throughout the day.
Background;
Tried gainer last year which was 1250kcal a serving, some days i drank a total of 2500 ( 2 portions ) a day combined with 3 meals a day. Still i didn't even gain half a kilo for a whole month of that. All throughout my life i have been eating like a horse, alot in general, alot of junk food, and i still can't gain weight, even tho i don't workout or burn calories.
It's simple for people to say " Eat more calories than you burn " but trust me that is not enough.
Thinking back of this period, i feel like i might not have eaten all 3 meals besides the gainer all days, i wasn't fully commited. Hence i wanna start now again, eat my normal meals, no exceptions, and drinking this gainer for 950kcal extra a day.
Do you have any other tips for small foods or snacks i can eat during the day? I have bracers so just eating peanuts or nuts won't be so good for my bracers i think, just putting it out there.
And to sum it up, do you think if i continue like this i will gain weight? My goal to begin with is to gain 10 kilos, so i atleast can feel comfortable with my type of skinny. Right now i am WAY to skinny.

bet i'm skinnier than you areee
skinny = beautiful, don't ever change.
Original post by skajkk
Hey!
Background;

Look up wayfarer, expedition foods or other meals for hiking because they purposefully make very filling and very high calorie meals to give you energy like 1100 calorie meals, they are expensive but they taste great and I think it might be worth a try, good luck! Maybe would lifting weights help you bulk up but you might just burn calories from it and not gain weight.. Ask a registered dietician, just do a quick google and you can probably make a video call appointment with one in the next couple days, or even dmming on insta they might give free advice!
Reply 30
Original post by Ciel.

Lets not make this a challenge over who is most skinny haha, but just saying, i am 110% skinnier than you, and if i'm not, we are around the same, noway you gonna be skinnier than me.
And yes i don't think skinny itself is ugly, i am just to skinny to the point it ruins my life and my decisions in my life for over 10 years, and i don't like it at all the way it is. I don't wanna stay this type of skinny for my life, i might aswell just end it, it's serious
Original post by Ciel.

being too skinny doesn't make you beautiful... you need to be healthy, don't tell them not to change, they can do what they like with their body.
Reply 32
Original post by skajkk
Lets not make this a challenge over who is most skinny haha, but just saying, i am 110% skinnier than you, and if i'm not, we are around the same, noway you gonna be skinnier than me.
And yes i don't think skinny itself is ugly, i am just to skinny to the point it ruins my life and my decisions in my life for over 10 years, and i don't like it at all the way it is. I don't wanna stay this type of skinny for my life, i might aswell just end it, it's serious

what's your bmi?
Original post by AzureWiggling
being too skinny doesn't make you beautiful... you need to be healthy, don't tell them not to change, they can do what they like with their body.

yes it does
Reply 33
Bro you can workout in a hoodie, a lot of ppl do that. There are so many skinny ppl who start going to the gym its a normal thing, you are not an outlier.

yeah bro thanks it really means alot that ur tryna help like i swear to god, it means alot man, i am so thankful from the bottom of my heart bro.
I just don't know what to say or do, i just wish i had more weight and could go without problems and not feeling bad about it... People take that for granted, most people are just worried about doing the workouts wrong, i wish i had that problem instead.
Reply 34
Original post by AzureWiggling
Look up wayfarer, expedition foods or other meals for hiking because they purposefully make very filling and very high calorie meals to give you energy like 1100 calorie meals, they are expensive but they taste great and I think it might be worth a try, good luck! Maybe would lifting weights help you bulk up but you might just burn calories from it and not gain weight.. Ask a registered dietician, just do a quick google and you can probably make a video call appointment with one in the next couple days, or even dmming on insta they might give free advice!

yeah i have actually beeing dming a guy, thanks for the tips man, really appreciated :biggrin: I am gonna have your tips in mind, i really appreciate it, thanks, ima look into it
Original post by skajkk
yeah bro thanks it really means alot that ur tryna help like i swear to god, it means alot man, i am so thankful from the bottom of my heart bro.
I just don't know what to say or do, i just wish i had more weight and could go without problems and not feeling bad about it... People take that for granted, most people are just worried about doing the workouts wrong, i wish i had that problem instead.

Bro im happy to help now make me even more happy by going to the gym haha. Look man, your weight is not a problem at the gym, its something you can control and change.
You’re clearly eating much less than you think.

Download MyFitnessPal and it will tell you have many calories you need to eat to get to your ideal weight. Every time you eat, record your calorie intake.
Reply 37
Bro im happy to help now make me even more happy by going to the gym haha. Look man, your weight is not a problem at the gym, its something you can control and change.

Yeah bro you make it sound simple which is positive, and it makes me wanna go, and i think positive about it, but everytime i come back to the same topic, it's just gonna make me anxious and feel like **** being in there the way i am as of now, i'll try to convince myself but it's gonna be real hard :colondollar:
Reply 38
Original post by Joe Frazier
You’re clearly eating much less than you think.

Download MyFitnessPal and it will tell you have many calories you need to eat to get to your ideal weight. Every time you eat, record your calorie intake.

Yeah as i wrote, i think that my first try a year ago, i didn't realize how hard it actually was gonna be, and that i lied to myself about how much i actually ate.
Now i am being honest with my self and going into it with 100% no exceptions. I think that if i continue as i have for the last 2 days, and don't give up, i'll have results sooner or later. I am really trying my best, feeling full almost the whole day, it's gonna be a grind. It's hard for me to count exact calories aswell as my parents cook my normal dinner and stuff, and i'm not to great with measuring small grams of what i am putting on my sandwiches and stuff, but i made an estimate and i came to the conclusion that i averaged around 2800-3300 ish last days. I think it should be enough for some guy just sitting at home
Original post by skajkk
Yeah bro you make it sound simple which is positive, and it makes me wanna go, and i think positive about it, but everytime i come back to the same topic, it's just gonna make me anxious and feel like **** being in there the way i am as of now, i'll try to convince myself but it's gonna be real hard :colondollar:

Bro it is simple, I can give u a program, a list of videos that show you how to do the exercises, anything man. Wear a hoodie it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest