The Student Room Group

I’m obese???

I’m wanting to take part in clinical trials so I thought I’d check out my bmi.
I wouldn’t describe myself as healthy but I didn’t think I was obese, I basically walk around for a living atm and I have a pretty balanced diet (I do eat a lot though).
People always laugh at me when I’ve said I need to lose weight in the past and I was heavier then.
I’m currently about 15st and 176cm, my measurements are 47”, 33”, 46” and I’m not very strong but not the weakest.
Does boob size comes into this?
I have a goal weight that I’m trying to reach but even that is considered about 11lbs too heavy but I think I’ll look super skinny at that weight.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BMI literally takes weight and heigh and plots it on a curve. It's relatively meaningless in terms of actual health of an individual, but it is useful as a comparator within a large group of individuals, hence why it's used for lots of medical categories.
It’s because we are so used to seeing fat people that it appears normal. I am very obese, but know someone who is the mirror of me and I would only describe her as chubby. What a lot of people would describe as “skinny” is actually the ideal weight.

Good luck in your weight loss journey 🙂
Are the clinical trials some sort of diet pills or something by any chance?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Are the clinical trials some sort of diet pills or something by any chance?

No, it’s for a chlamydia vaccine
No, it’s for a chlamydia vaccine

Cool, wishing you lots of luck
Reply 6
Original post by Marfyy2
BMI literally takes weight and heigh and plots it on a curve. It's relatively meaningless in terms of actual health of an individual, but it is useful as a comparator within a large group of individuals, hence why it's used for lots of medical categories.

So how would your doctor know to tell you to be worried about your weight?
Original post by Bumble18
It’s because we are so used to seeing fat people that it appears normal. I am very obese, but know someone who is the mirror of me and I would only describe her as chubby. What a lot of people would describe as “skinny” is actually the ideal weight.

Good luck in your weight loss journey 🙂

Thanks, that’s kind of what I was thinking actually, like when I tell people how much I weigh they don’t believe me because no one has much of a perception of what weight can look like on different bodies.
like when I tell people how much I weigh they don’t believe me because no one has much of a perception of what weight can look like on different bodies.

That happens to me too. I have a BMI of like 31.5 but most people I know are very surprised when I tell them my weight. BMI is of limited use though. I mean, I regularly play ice hockey, basketball and badminton and can keep up with people who weigh a lot less than me. I know I'm fat but I don't eat junk and exercise regularly so....:dontknow: I have looked at taking part in clinical trials too but also couldn't because of my BMI. I guess maybe talk to your doctor about your concerns and they can use more individualized measures of your weight-healthiness.
Reply 8
So how would your doctor know to tell you to be worried about your weight?

Doctors wouldn't really tell you to worry about your weight, because worrying about your weight isn't very good for your mental health. Instead, doctors would look at what your complaint is, and consider whether weight might be a factor, but these days they rarely prescribe weight loss as a treatment because they recognise that health is a far more complex factor and furthermore, prescribing weigh loss for health only makes overweight people less likely to attend the doctors, meaning any genuine health issues are caught at much later and more dangerous stages.

If you want an overall health check, they might take your weight and height, but they could also measure things like blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar, skin health, lung capacity and oxygen intake, metabolism rates, body fat and body muscle content, as well as visceral fat levels as a proportion of total fat content. They might take urine and stool samples. They might do additional blood work to check things like liver and kidney function. BMI can only ever tell you height and weight, and there's so much more to someone's individual health picture than those two numbers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Marfyy2
Doctors wouldn't really tell you to worry about your weight, because worrying about your weight isn't very good for your mental health. Instead, doctors would look at what your complaint is, and consider whether weight might be a factor, but these days they rarely prescribe weight loss as a treatment because they recognise that health is a far more complex factor and furthermore, prescribing weigh loss for health only makes overweight people less likely to attend the doctors, meaning any genuine health issues are caught at much later and more dangerous stages.

If you want an overall health check, they might take your weight and height, but they could also measure things like blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar, skin health, lung capacity and oxygen intake, metabolism rates, body fat and body muscle content, as well as visceral fat levels as a proportion of total fat content. They might take urine and stool samples. They might do additional blood work to check things like liver and kidney function. BMI can only ever tell you height and weight, and there's so much more to someone's individual health picture than those two numbers.

And tell me how they would check body composition accurately?
Hey, I think that BMI is really a misleading measurement as it doesnt take into account the composition of the weight. That may as well be muscle as well. So i think consider getting your body fat percentage checked, which would give you a figure of how much of your body is composed of fat. Also, its great that you're looking into this! my only advice would be dont be too taken by numbers on the scale
Also, yes, females have more body fat in comparison to men due to breast tissue, which is primarily considered as 'fat' while taking a reading. that being said, a really healthy body fat percentage for women is 24%. Hope that helps
Reply 12
Original post by Marfyy2

Further to this, doctors often utilise a combination of BMI, waist-to-height ratio and fat comp to determine clinical obesity. However, I completely agree with @Marfyy2 and the other posters on this board. I would definitely approach your GP as they can give you evidence-based advice in regard to weight loss, but additional, will check in to make sure there is no underlying issue(s). A good GP will also ensure you have a healthy support network, and will likely connect you with services that can help with positivity.

Best of luck and remember that your mental health and wellbeing is just as important!
Original post by Marfyy2

I spent most of my teen years up until I stopped seeing my go being told to lose weight so I can see why that could be counter productive. I was also told my bmi without finding out my height which I found weird but at the same time, I feel like it was also a question of how effective the prescription would be though.
You can be healthy af and obese it still comes with risks and losing weight will lower this risk (https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/8/2294). I highly doubt you have enough muscle mass where BMI becomes an inaccurate risk factor.

I suggest calculating your tdee and eating 500kcals less than that while eating a lot of protein if you want to lose weight.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
And tell me how they would check body composition accurately?

There's a widely available type of weighing scales that can tell you, it's been around for decades, but they've obviously continuously improved the technology for more accurate measurements.

They have them in my gym too - there's one you can pop a pound in to use in the hallway, or a fancier looking one in the gym's office you can use if you don't mind the staff member there seeing your measurements. Pretty sure my mum's bathroom scales does it too, it's nothing special.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Marfyy2
There's a widely available type of weighing scales that can tell you, it's been around for decades, but they've obviously continuously improved the technology for more accurate measurements.

They have them in my gym too - there's one you can pop a pound in to use in the hallway, or a fancier looking one in the gym's office you can use if you don't mind the staff member there seeing your measurements. Pretty sure my mum's bathroom scales does it too, it's nothing special.

its not the most accurate thing ..
my family always say me is fat but i am thin .they are fat
Original post by Marfyy2

Not accurate at all.
if you have a bigger chest like me, that can be taken into account for your weight

Quick Reply

Latest