The Student Room Group

Can UK students go on exchange to US universities for 2021/2

Hey guys:
I have an exchange place confirmed in the US from August onwards. Just waiting for the paperwork so I can apply for the visa. What's the current situation with regards to travel from the UK to the US for exchange students? I know people are banned from entering if you've been in the UK for the last 14 days (due to the 'rona) but https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/covid-19-travel-update-us-allow-international-students-return-autumn seemed to suggest exchange students are exempt from this rule.
I couldn't find anything "official" about this on the us gov websites etc.
Can anyone help?
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.
Thanks!
--mrb
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mrbouffant
Hey guys:
I have an exchange place confirmed in the US from August onwards. Just waiting for the paperwork so I can apply for the visa. What's the current situation with regards to travel from the UK to the US for exchange students? I know people are banned from entering if you've been in the UK for the last 14 days (due to the 'rona) but https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/covid-19-travel-update-us-allow-international-students-return-autumn seemed to suggest exchange students are exempt from this rule.
Can anyone help?

Have you tried contacting the people who deal with incoming international students at the university you're visiting? They should have their fingers on the pulse of what's going on.
Original post by mrbouffant
Hey guys:
Can anyone help?
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.
Thanks!
--mrb

There is now an exemption for students so you'll be fine :smile:
I'll echo what others have said but I do believe the US government have recently made an amendment to allow students from the UK in on exchange etc. I did this for my 2nd year and loved it, went and studied at the University of New Mexico where I'm now officially alumni! Anyhow some serious advice, you need to book that visa appointment with the US London Embassy ASAP!!!! I MEAN ASAP! Even before covid there was such a huge backlog when I booked my appointment and due to a few mishaps had it cancelled twice and then it was postponed by weeks or months. This made me almost miss my opportunity to enrol in time for the semester as I arrived quite late (end of August). Stressful to say the least! Anyway, book it as soon as is humanely possible, do not leave it for a day or two, literally do it as soon as you have your DS-2019 from your exchange school, and whatever you do, keep it safe and DO NOT DAMAGE IT! The embassy will reject it and it can cause further delay. If you need any more advice on the process please feel welcome to message me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending