The Student Room Group

In late twenties and still haven't got a drivers license 😩 am I the only one?

I took lessons as soon as I was old enough and was test ready but never took the test and it's been 6/7 years since then where I've done no driving. I want to get back into it and get my license before the provisional one needs to be renewed again. Am I the only one at this age?

Scroll to see replies

No.
I've several friends in their mid 20s and late 30s who are in the habit of asking friends that can drive to give them rides.
Most have never applied for a provisional licence.
I have a driving licence but have never owned a car and have only driven a handful of times in the 10+ years since I passed.
Original post by black tea
I have a driving licence but have never owned a car and have only driven a handful of times in the 10+ years since I passed.

I’m in exactly the same boat (not to mix our metaphors). I got my driving license like 7-8 years ago but I’ve never owned a car and scarcely driven since. I’m not sure I’d even trust myself to be competent behind the wheel.

@OP - don’t worry! Within ten years or so we’ll have self-driving cars anyway.
Reply 4
Get your licence then, call an and get started. I think your licence should be OK, if not renew it.
Reply 5
Original post by Blueboy.
Get your licence then, call an and get started. I think your licence should be OK, if not renew it.

I will, I'm looking for an instructor,
my provisional license is ok for another couple of years as I renewed it a few years ago before it expired. I'm hoping to get my driving license before the provisional one expires again.
(edited 2 years ago)
Didn’t learn until my mid-thirties. Fortunate to live near enough a city with decent public transport.
I'm 27 and haven't passed yet. Hopefully this year!
Reply 8
Nope same boat too. I'm 30!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I’m in exactly the same boat (not to mix our metaphors). I got my driving license like 7-8 years ago but I’ve never owned a car and scarcely driven since. I’m not sure I’d even trust myself to be competent behind the wheel.

@OP - don’t worry! Within ten years or so we’ll have self-driving cars anyway.

Great idea. But. The govt loves to loophole so I'm sure we will still need a full recent license in order to get even the self driving cars. Bollox ini.
Didn't realise how many people are in their nearly 30s on here.
There are plenty of people who have never had driving licences at all.
23 (24 next month) here, and I haven't had a single lesson. That will likely change in the next few months, but even after I pass I likely won't have a car until I'm 25/26. Public transport has been my MO, despite the ridiculous price of trains.
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Didn't realise how many people are in their nearly 30s on here.

a lot of us have been on this site for years lol, lots of mature students too, or students that passed but just decided to stick around for the banter, especially introverted types
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
23 (24 next month) here, and I haven't had a single lesson. That will likely change in the next few months, but even after I pass I likely won't have a car until I'm 25/26. Public transport has been my MO, despite the ridiculous price of trains.

like many of the above I can drive but doing it is isn't always worth it, cost of petrol, tax, insurance etc means it's not cheap by any means and as bad public transport links are they're usually good enough, and especially in the big cities driving a car is actually a horrible experience (Birmingham and London especially are awful to drive in), the real benefit of driving is the convenience and the large number of places it's very hard to get to without, I have friends in devon and getting to any of the remote places past a certain time or certain day is basically impossible
No and I don't think you should take any seriously who suggests there's some kind of 'cut off' point for it (same for anything). People have definitely told me things along those lines. My parents as I imagine yours might be are quite anti the idea of me driving. It's harder for some people than for others is a fact.
No, I don't have a driving licence- it does inconvenience me to an extent, however most things can be worked around.
My younger brother is learning to drive, it is a major drain on his finances.

I find the amount of people who tie their self worth to the ownership of a driving licence (or lack therefore of) surprising.
Original post by tashkent46
a lot of us have been on this site for years lol, lots of mature students too, or students that passed but just decided to stick around for the banter, especially introverted types

Oh wow! well when i graduate i'm outta here :colone:
But on a side note, the level of responses re driving by y'all made me reconsider stressing about the hurry of getting my driving liscence- i'm 19. That said, i do need it rather than want it.
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Oh wow! well when i graduate i'm outta here :colone:

You say that now....:biggrin:
Original post by glassalice
You say that now....:biggrin:

We'll see we'll see :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending