The Student Room Group

Help regarding A-level Subjects

Hello! I'm at my last week of year 11 ( excluding prom and activities) and I am certain about two choices of mine - Biology and Chemistry as I want to go onto Medicine maybe later. What I have an issue with is choosing whether to do Further Maths or Maths. And the reason why I want to do Further Maths is to just receive my A-levels at year 12 nothing else. Does this seem logical with the intensity of the other subjects and do you think this is easier or not?
Original post by Asertopin
Hello! I'm at my last week of year 11 ( excluding prom and activities) and I am certain about two choices of mine - Biology and Chemistry as I want to go onto Medicine maybe later. What I have an issue with is choosing whether to do Further Maths or Maths. And the reason why I want to do Further Maths is to just receive my A-levels at year 12 nothing else. Does this seem logical with the intensity of the other subjects and do you think this is easier or not?

Bro if you're doing further maths you should also do maths, further maths requires you already know the contents of maths, it's certainly possible to do bio chem maths f maths, I don't understand the last bit though you wanna complete your A levels in one year right? in that case I would recommend you take just bio chem maths, no need to increase the workload even more.

imperial has a good course for A level maths on edx, savemyexams is also a good service for maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by arshdixit893
Bro if you're doing further maths you should also do maths, further maths requires you already know the contents of maths, it's certainly possible to do bio chem maths f maths, I don't understand the last bit though you wanna complete your A levels in one year right? in that case I would recommend you take just bio chem maths, no need to increase the workload even more.

imperial has a good course for A level maths on edx, savemyexams is also a good service for maths.

I just thought that completing my maths within a year and putting more focus onto bio and chem would be easier
Original post by arshdixit893

perculiar. i have never heard of someone who wants to take further maths without taking maths. i mean i guess its possible but what are you getting in gcse maths?
I just thought that completing my maths within a year and putting more focus onto bio and chem would be easier

not really. i was gonna do the same as you as i had already learnt all of a level maths in highschool and i wanted to take my maths a level at the end of first year but i just left it. i dont revise for maths yet stilll get a*'s in test so youll be fine ig
Reply 5
Original post by tej3141
perculiar. i have never heard of someone who wants to take further maths without taking maths. i mean i guess its possible but what are you getting in gcse maths?

Oh no lol - I dont mind doing maths and Futher Maths but what I want to do is drop the futher maths in my first year after getting my Alevel. My GCSE maths grades are ,
paper 1 - Grade 9 ,
paper 2 - Grade 7
and paper 3 is next week
Original post by tej3141

^if you're doing f maths and able to get grades on it you will also get grades on math might as well take it

you could do that theoretically getting all maths syllabus in a year is possible BUT you need to have all 3 A level exams in one session so yeah just do it normally.
Reply 7
Original post by tej3141
not really. i was gonna do the same as you as i had already learnt all of a level maths in highschool and i wanted to take my maths a level at the end of first year but i just left it. i dont revise for maths yet stilll get a*'s in test so youll be fine ig

so you didnt recieve your alevels after a year?
Oh no lol - I dont mind doing maths and Futher Maths but what I want to do is drop the futher maths in my first year after getting my Alevel. My GCSE maths grades are ,
paper 1 - Grade 9 ,
paper 2 - Grade 7
and paper 3 is next week

If so you'll have to complete all of maths and further maths in one year while also doing first year bio and chem, does that sound like something you would be comfortable doing? doesn't matter since you need to have all A levels given in one session.

if you're talking about AS level F maths, I guess it's possible you would have to check with your school though since many schools teach all of maths in year 1 and all of F maths in year 2.
so you didnt recieve your alevels after a year?

no im only getting my epq back at the end of yr 12 - then my 4 alevels at the end of yr 13. and i suggest you dont pick FM just to drop it at the end of yr 12, its kind of a waste of time i think
Reply 10
Original post by tej3141
no im only getting my epq back at the end of yr 12 - then my 4 alevels at the end of yr 13. and i suggest you dont pick FM just to drop it at the end of yr 12, its kind of a waste of time i think

Ok Thanks all <3 youve really helped

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

Biology and chemistry are challenging subjects alongside maths, but a good combination. Generally further maths is taken alongside maths, not instead off as it build on content taught in maths a-level. Further maths is very challenging and even with top GCSE grades, a good a-level grade is not guaranteed as it is a big step up. I would talk to your current maths teacher and your tutor and see what they think too. I would also talk to the place where you intend to study A-levels to check if you can do further maths without regular maths.

I hope this helps
Ethan - UOP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest