The Student Room Group

Is it okay to put English Tea into Fridge for cool drink?

Is it safe and healthy to put English Breakfast tea into a fridge for a cool (iced) drink?

Usually I drink hot English breakfast tea but have found that a chilled version also tastes really cool!

1) Boil water in kettle
2) Add English Breakfast Tea bag (one of PG tips, Tetley, Yorkshire...)
3) Pour boiling water into cup,
4) Add Semi skimmed milk
5) Let the tea cool down a bit then place tea into Fridge
6) Consume after a couple of hours.

Any thoughts or articles on this? Since I have read that cold tea could cause bacterial growth but this article seems to suggest it is okay: https://www.adayinthekitchen.com/iced-english-tea-latte/
no

on a moral, and hopefully one day legal level. health wise I'm sure you'll be fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes, but only if you stop referring to it as English tea.
Reply 3
Original post by glassalice
Yes, but only if you stop referring to it as English tea.

Haha, In the title didn't want to put too many words in. Later referred to as English Breakfast Tea. To hopefully make distinguish between Earl Grey or Green teas (Jasmine...) and other teas.
Reply 4
Original post by V℮rsions
no

on a moral, and hopefully one day legal level. health wise I'm sure you'll be fine.

Iced teas seem to be quite popular!
Original post by Apad121
Iced teas seem to be quite popular!

I don't think iced tea is quite the same as making a literal brew and putting it in the fridge! :yucky:
The difference between the link you posted and the version you posted is that in yours, it's a literal cold up of tea - in hers theres no water, and you only use hot milk to brew the tea. Now, using a normal tea bag I still expect it to taste vile, but it's gotta be better than adding the water.

Either way, it should be a crime! Stick to the Lipton
Reply 6
I think it's all good so long as you let it cool before putting it in the fridge (that's how bacteria gets going). Might be a bet to add the milk on serving (or drink it black) as I'm not sure how long the mixture would stay good combined.
Yeah, I do the same but I cool it before putting it in the fridge.
Iced tea is really big where I live.

It does sound a little weird that you put milk in it...

Quick Reply

Latest