The Student Room Group

Doctoral loan and previous student loan

I am starting a part-time doctorate in October and am hoping to apply for a doctoral loan. Recently, the outstanding balance from my previous student loans from 1993-1996 was cancelled and I wondered if this would have an effect on my application?
Original post by Alwispa
I am starting a part-time doctorate in October and am hoping to apply for a doctoral loan. Recently, the outstanding balance from my previous student loans from 1993-1996 was cancelled and I wondered if this would have an effect on my application?

Hi Alwispa, if you are behind on repayments then this can affect your eligibility to be approved for further funding.

What do you mean by cancelled?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Alwispa, if you are behind on repayments then this can affect your eligibility to be approved for further funding.

What do you mean by cancelled?

Thanks, Isaac

Thanks - I'm not behind in payments - they were just written off after 25 years as I hadn't earned enough to repay them all as I had deferred some years. I know if I was in arrears that would be a problem but I haven't been able to find anything about what happens if the first loans are written off. Maybe there aren't many people as old as me applying for doctoral loans!!!
Original post by Alwispa
Thanks - I'm not behind in payments - they were just written off after 25 years as I hadn't earned enough to repay them all as I had deferred some years. I know if I was in arrears that would be a problem but I haven't been able to find anything about what happens if the first loans are written off. Maybe there aren't many people as old as me applying for doctoral loans!!!

Based on that information, I'd expect everything to be fine as your previous loan was written off.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Based on that information, I'd expect everything to be fine as your previous loan was written off.
Thanks, Isaac

That's great news!
Thanks Isaac.
Original post by Alwispa
That's great news!
Thanks Isaac.

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending