The Student Room Group

Convincing mum on coming out

I have not long come out as a lesbian, i have told my mum and sat and tried to explain to her but she can't except that i prefer girls to boys.
And she wants me to see a doctor about it, but why i know how i feel and what I want .
How do I explain so she understands
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Prettyfrock
I have not long come out as a lesbian, i have told my mum and sat and tried to explain to her but she can't except that i prefer girls to boys.
And she wants me to see a doctor about it, but why i know how i feel and what I want .
How do I explain so she understands

You don't need to explain anything; she needs time to come to terms with it. As a parent, she may have had preconceived ideas about your future and probably needs time to adjust.

Her suggestion that you visit a doctor should be interpreted as shock on her part and it might perhaps be more beneficial for her to seek counselling. Gay conversion therapy is abusive quack science that does great harm.
Original post by AW_1983
You don't need to explain anything; she needs time to come to terms with it. As a parent, she may have had preconceived ideas about your future and probably needs time to adjust.

Her suggestion that you visit a doctor should be interpreted as shock on her part and it might perhaps be more beneficial for her to seek counselling. Gay conversion therapy is abusive quack science that does great harm.

Thanks very much
Reply 3
Original post by AW_1983
Gay conversion therapy is abusive quack science that does great harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending