The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Natalie Lane
who cares about those when you can eat chocolate and sleep all day?! :wink:

(Thankfully never had that problem...)

Whenever I tried that, I would run out of chocolate and end up eating cheese in bed...
Dr Death - I can't see why anyone would neg rep you for this thread! I certainly wouldn't. You've been anti-homosexual in a way that is clearly well thought out, non-discriminatory, and entirely inoffensive.

Natalie Lane - we obviously have different definitions of rationality. "gays should be illegal. it is just sick" does not scream rational to me, and the use of loaded terminology and emotive language only serves to cloud the issue and cause the debate to spiral still further away from the sphere of the rational. Anyway, I didn't neg rep him for it, just saying that I can easily see why someone would. (Btw Topdude, how do you even know it's fishpaste...you're not a sub?)

ZarathustraX :creep:
Dr_Death
Whenever I tried that, I would run out of chocolate and end up eating cheese in bed...

never run out of cheese?

(There is no substitue for chocolate, am curruntly staring at two boxes of maltesers, three Lindtt bars [the huge ones] two smaller lindtt bars, two waffel lindtt bars and a big bag of mini Mars Bars currently sitting on my desk, yum... Think they might last a while, if not there's cheese in the fridge...)

Zarathustra = I personally don't agree with his views but I can see how he was trieing to explain himself and took others' arguments into consideration before stating his views which is more than I can say for most people I've talked to who are against homosexualism though I agree, Dr. Death's opinion seem perhaps more thought through...
Reply 243
Zarathustra
Dr Death - I can't see why anyone would neg rep you for this thread! I certainly wouldn't. You've been anti-homosexual in a way that is clearly well thought out, non-discriminatory, and entirely inoffensive.

Natalie Lane - we obviously have different definitions of rationality. "gays should be illegal. it is just sick" does not scream rational to me, and the use of loaded terminology and emotive language only serves to cloud the issue and cause the debate to spiral still further away from the sphere of the rational. Anyway, I didn't neg rep him for it, just saying that I can easily see why someone would. (Btw Topdude, how do you even know it's fishpaste...you're not a sub?)

ZarathustraX :creep:

Thanks! Now, when I'm prime minister, I can use this point of view in speeches.
Reply 244
Natalie Lane
never run out of cheese?

(There is no substitue for chocolate, am curruntly staring at two boxes of maltesers, three Lindtt bars [the huge ones] two smaller lindtt bars, two waffel lindtt bars and a big bag of mini Mars Bars currently sitting on my desk, yum... Think they might last a while, if not there's cheese in the fridge...)

Aarghh! Cheese is no substitute for chocolate! (although it is probably worse for the acne.) Can you send me any of your chocolate? (although from Brazil via surface mail it would be cheese when it arrives...)
Dr_Death
Aarghh! Cheese is no substitute for chocolate! (although it is probably worse for the acne.) Can you send me any of your chocolate? (although from Brazil via surface mail it would be cheese when it arrives...)

Hey, it's hard enough that I have to share it with my mom (if you call her stealing it at night 'sharing') I am not sending it out around the world!!! :mad: :secruity:
Reply 246
Ah well - I have a 400g bar of Cathedral City extra mature cheddar, and two packets of Stilton and some crackers. I'll survive...
Reply 247
But if homosexuality occurs among animals, does that necessarily mean that it is natural for humans, too? And that raises a familiar question: if homosexuality is not a choice, but a result of natural forces that cannot be controlled, can it be immoral?

The open discussion of homosexual behavior in animals is relatively new. "There has been a certain cultural shyness about admitting it," said Frans de Waal, whose 1997 book, "Bonobo: The Forgotten Ape" (University of California Press), unleashed a torrent of discussion about animal sexuality. Bonobos, apes closely related to humans, are wildly energetic sexually. Studies show that whether observed in the wild or in captivity, nearly all are bisexual, and nearly half their sexual interactions are with the same sex. Female bonobos have been observed to engage in homosexual activity almost hourly.

Before his own book, "American scientists who investigated bonobos never discussed sex at all," said Mr. de Waal, director of the Living Links Center of the Yerkes Primate Center at Emory University in Atlanta. "Or they sometimes would show two females having sex together, and would say, `The females are very affectionate.' "

Then in 1999, Bruce Bagemihl published "Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity" (St. Martin's Press), one of the first books of its kind to provide an overview of scholarly studies of same-sex behavior in animals. Mr. Bagemihl said homosexual behavior had been documented in some 450 species. (Homosexuality, he says, refers to any of these behaviors between members of the same sex: long-term bonding, sexual contact, courtship displays or the rearing of young.

In his book Mr. Bagemihl describes homosexual activity in a broad spectrum of animals. He asserts that while same-sex behavior is sometimes found in captivity, it is actually seen more frequently in studies of animals in the wild.

Among birds, for instance, studies show that 10 to 15 percent of female western gulls in some populations in the wild are homosexual. Females perform courtship rituals, like tossing their heads at each other or offering small gifts of food to each other, and they establish nests together. Occasionally they mate with males and produce fertile eggs but then return to their original same-sex partners. Their bonds, too, may persist for years.

Among mammals, male and female bottlenose dolphins frequently engage in homosexual activity, both in captivity and in the wild. Homosexuality is particularly common among young male dolphin calves. One male may protect another that is resting or healing from wounds inflicted by a predator. When one partner dies, the other may search for a new male mate. Researchers have noted that in some cases same-sex behavior is more common for dolphins in captivity.

Male and female rhesus macaques, a type of monkey, also exhibit homosexuality in captivity and in the wild. Males are affectionate to each other, touching, holding and embracing. Females smack their lips at each other and play games like hide-and-seek, peek-a-boo and follow the leader. And both sexes mount members of their own sex.

http://www.sensualism.com/gay/

Homosexuality is biological,
suggests gay sheep study
A study of gay sheep appears to confirm the controversial suggestion that there is a biological basis for sexual preference.

The work shows that rams that prefer male sexual partners had small but distinct differences in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, when compared with rams that preferred to mate with ewes.

Kay Larkin and colleagues from Oregon Health and Science University found the difference was in a particular region of the hypothalamus - the preoptic nucleus. The region is generally almost twice as large in rams as in ewes. But in gay rams its size was almost identical to that in "straight" females.

The hypothalamus is known to control sex hormone release and many types of sexual behaviour. Several other parts of the hypothalamus showed consistent sex differences in size, but only this specific region showed differences that correlated with sexual preference.

The differences are almost identical to those identified by the neuroscientist Simon LeVay in his studies of the brains of gay men. His work has always been considered controversial, partly because the brains he studied were mostly from men who had died of AIDS. So it was not clear whether the differences were related to the disease or to sexual preferences.

Hormone converter
But the findings in sheep are an important confirmation of LeVay's work, says Jacques Balthazart from the University of Liege in Belgium.

Sheep are particularly interesting, he says, because besides humans, they are the only animal where the males may naturally express exclusively gay sexual preferences. As many as one in 10 rams can be gay.

http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/gaysheep.html

Homosexual behaviour has been observed in almost every species of animal including dolphins, hedgehogs, kangeroos, sheep, whales, albatrosses, chimpanzees and gorillas. Dr Fox published her observations in the American Journal of Primatology.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/12/08/woran08.xml

Gay animals are not at all uncommon
Reply 248
The Encyclopædia Vivikia speaks again...
Reply 249
Sorry I like to substantiate my argument when I post about things otherwise people shout at me. Google is a wonderful thing :wink:
Reply 250
viviki
Sorry I like to substantiate my argument when I post about things otherwise people shout at me. Google is a wonderful thing :wink:

I agree, why walk all the way over to the library, a 5-minute walk in the freezing cold, when I can just alt-tab over to - um - the coursework I'm meant to be doing...

"In June 1939, the Air Ministry was finally convinced of the merits of Whittle' invention. They then decided to have a flight engine built (the W.1) and have the Gloster Aircraft Company build an experimental airplane - the E28/39.

The aircraft was completed in March 1941 and the engine in May 1941. First flight of the E28/39 occured on the evening of May 15, 1941."
Reply 251
viviki
Google is a wonderful thing :wink:

not when you've also read about the subject in recent scientific journals....any response to my animal emotions reply? :wink: i've just looked in D&D and it seems to have gone flat
Reply 252
viviki
Among mammals, male and female bottlenose dolphins frequently engage in homosexual activity, both in captivity and in the wild. Homosexuality is particularly common among young male dolphin calves.

and topdude's avatar is a dolphin...i find that rather amusing :rolleyes:
LonelyKnight
Homophobes are those who appear to be normal in an abnormal sense and yet are abnormal in a normal sense. Narrowmindedness is not what they possess, but rather a fear of being revealed of one's intrinsic intolerance towards a minor form of being.

Erm...could we get that in English? I'm not sure whether the last part is denouncing 'Phobes as intolerant; excusing them for their intolerance, on the basis that it's an intrinsic part of their nature; or condemning homosexuals as inferior: "a minor form of being". ?

*is intrigued*

ZarathustraX
topdude
i honestly believe that many people are closet homophobs, but dont reveal this in public.

Although I don't agree with what this guy says in general. It is true, I have heard women and straight guys talking normally to gay men and behind their backs say horrible things which I don't agree with. I have heard this often actually. Only last week a girl was like I don't like lesbians or gays' our boss at work is gay, she is soo nice to his face and stuff.

I told her 'each to their own and there is nothing wrong with being attracted to someone of the same sex.
Reply 255
Elainawilliams
Although I don't agree with what this guy says in general. It is true.

thank u

Natalie Lane
I personally don't agree with his views but I can see how he was trieing to explain himself and took others' arguments into consideration before stating his views which is more than I can say for most people I've talked to who are against homosexualism though I agree, Dr. Death's opinion seem perhaps more thought through...

yea dr. deaths opinion does seem more thought through!

Zarathustra

the loaded terminolgy and emotive language were only used a few times. i know its fishpaste coz its obvious hes the only 1 who would do it! i actually have respect for the people i debate with, even if i think their opinion is wrong, i still have respect for them. even though i hate gays i can still respect them. fishpaste however i will never respect.

emily87
and topdude's avatar is a dolphin...i find that rather amusing

timeofuor life said "it seems strange that someone with a camp animated dolphin avatar is so keen to argue about the 'immorality' of homosexuality. is your subconscious trying to tell us something?" in post 127 to which i replied "lol, good 1, sooner or later someone was bound 2 bring "u got sumfin 2 hide" into it, coz they dont have a valid point". he made the joke first, and i did actually laugh. u merely repeated it, and are basically about 2 hours behind.
Reply 256
sorry 4 the spaces in the above post btw, i just tht d try multiple quotes? i can actually make up quotes cant i?
Reply 257
~*sparkle*~
many people think that to be gay is wrong and shouldnt happen. i have even experienced people who say that it is abnormal!
the truth is that it is not abnormal in any way and people who believe that are either just plain scared that you will try and hit on them, or are narrow minded and still have not begun to live in the 21st century! what really annoys me is the view a lot of my friends have of me, especially when they constantly believe that all i do is slag about with any other gay guy that i think is fit.
what are your opinions on gay people?

i want to know if gay people feel "gay" if an opposite sex try coming on to them?
Reply 258
timeofyourlife
not when you've also read about the subject in recent scientific journals....any response to my animal emotions reply? :wink: i've just looked in D&D and it seems to have gone flat

when I have 2 seconds I'll read it :wink:
I go to an Incredibly liberal college it seems, homopobia is unneccessary and unpleasant and borne of ignorance.

Latest

Trending

Trending