The Student Room Group

Learning to drive - my instructor thinks that I'll take years, what do I do?

Hi,

I started learning to drive a couple of months ago. I'm on my fourth lesson with a really nice instructor and I haven't come out of first gear yet. I'm fairly nervous and she thinks that it will take me a good couple of years with weekly lessons to pass. I'm not in a position to afford more than a weekly lesson and I was hoping to be driving by this time next year. I'm struggling with steering and understanding how much I have to steer at each corner. Is it wise seeing if I can get learners' insurance and practise in my parents' car? Is there anything else I can be doing to speed up the process? I'm learning to love driving and I'm excited by the prospects of freedom that it gives me - driving to see my friends, going to the beach etc. It makes me sad to think that I'm so far off of that.

Scroll to see replies

Ok my first thought is simply that you're going to need more money here... If affording more than 1 hour a week tuition is going to be a significant barrier then the costs of tests/insurance/tax/servicing/fuel are going to be backbreaking.

I'm no authority but if after 4 hours you're not even out of 1st gear that's not good, why is this? What have you spent 4 hours doing? Are you not willing to shift up or is the instructor not letting you? Nervousness is absolutely normal but this sounds like near 0 progress. If costs are going to be a barrier to you getting more lessons... then it also follows you 100% cannot afford bad lessons. (For context my first lesson I was quite happily driving round my neighbourhood in 2nd & 3rd. I had no prior experience and was pretty damn nervous)

(also tbh an instructor saying it might take years... kinda sounds like they don't have the heart for the job. even though what with all the delays and test back logs, it might genuinely take over a year)

I wouldn't bother with extra practice yet tbh, you haven't learned the basic skills to practice them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! As someone who’s recently passed, you really should’ve come out of first gear by now - if not on your first lesson. I understand being nervous completely, my leg was bouncing on the clutch for my first few :biggrin:

My main bit of advice would be to practice changing gear when your car is stopped (handbrake on and just going up through the gears) as it’ll help get you used to the movement needed for each and you can then try changing into 2nd/3rd when actually driving. It’s actually quite unsafe to only drive in first gear, as if you’re going too slow you’ll be causing a hazard to other road users, and going too quickly in just 1st gear will wear out the engine.

In terms of steering, go around corners slowly at first - pay attention to how much you’ve had to turn the wheel to get around at that speed. It helps give you a bit of guidance as to how much to steer the next time and you can up the speed a bit every time you’re doing it (I used to go around corners exclusively in 1st, now I use mainly 2nd :smile:)

Again, I completely understand nerves, however your instructor should be pushing you a bit more to change into 2nd and 3rd, especially as you’ve had multiple lessons. Have they said anything about it? 2nd and 3rd are much easier to drive in than 1st so I would strongly recommend trying to get up to these gears.

Regarding practicing in your parents car, it’s probably not wise to do so until you’re more comfortable on the roads. If you drive exclusively in 1st in their car, it’ll burn out the engine and may wind up in someone overtaking your unsafely and the car (or yourself and codriver) being injured. It’s also quite expensive to be insured in a parents car depending on engine size etc.
I looked at being insured for both of my parents car (to try work out which was cheaper) and I would be around 1.4k a year for my mums, and over 2k a year for my dads. I wound up just using some of my savings to pay for my own car and I was only £380 a year to insure it as a learner.

Good luck with the lessons, try not let your nerves get the best of you! :smile:
Reply 3
I already have a car :smile: for me, it's just the steering and understanding how much to steer. I've practised changing gears in my car when it's stationary. I'm not sure why I haven't come out of first gear yet. I have driven in second and third before on a young drivers' day, but that was two years ago. I did ask about going in my last lesson, but they said it probably wouldn't be advisable on the road that we were driving on. I didn't know whether my parents taking me to an empty car park would be any use :smile:
Original post by summerhaze
I already have a car :smile: for me, it's just the steering and understanding how much to steer. I've practised changing gears in my car when it's stationary. I'm not sure why I haven't come out of first gear yet. I have driven in second and third before on a young drivers' day, but that was two years ago. I did ask about going in my last lesson, but they said it probably wouldn't be advisable on the road that we were driving on. I didn't know whether my parents taking me to an empty car park would be any use :smile:

It’s definitely nerve wracking when you change up for the first time! I think them taking you to an empty car park would be a great idea - I did this before my first few lessons as I started late due to lockdown and it definitely helped build my confidence with changing gears :smile:
I do find it a bit weird that they advised not to change up on the road you were driving on - generally 2nd is fine unless you’re doing less than 8mph or so.
Keep us updated with how the driving goes! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by amber0321
It’s definitely nerve wracking when you change up for the first time! I think them taking you to an empty car park would be a great idea - I did this before my first few lessons as I started late due to lockdown and it definitely helped build my confidence with changing gears :smile:
I do find it a bit weird that they advised not to change up on the road you were driving on - generally 2nd is fine unless you’re doing less than 8mph or so.
Keep us updated with how the driving goes! :smile:

Thank you! I was doing nearly 15mph. Also, what car do you have for the insurance to be so low? Mines over £480 a year as a learner!
Thank you! I was doing nearly 15mph. Also, what car do you have for the insurance to be so low? Mines over £480 a year as a learner!

I’ve got a peugeot 108 puretech (1.2 engine) ! I’m insured through Churchill (both my parents are with them so I got a multi-car discount) and both my parents are named drivers to reduce the costs :smile:
Now I’ve passed it’s up to about £710 a year which isn’t that bad considering most of my friends are paying over £900 :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
I did ask about going in my last lesson, but they said it probably wouldn't be advisable on the road that we were driving on.

Ok, unless there's some huge piece of info you aren't telling us, this instructor sounds pretty crap and at their rate of progress, yeah, it will take years. It sounds like they're maybe more interested in a regular weekly payout than you making progress as a driver. As I asked, what have you done for 4 expensive hours?

There are v few road conditions where staying in 1st is appropriate, creeping in traffic is the main one and if that's all your instructor lets you do without taking you to better and/or quieter roads, they're a waste of money imo.

learner insurance is usually cheaper as it is an add-on and there is already a policy covering the theft aspects (if it is a parent's car). We had to get full learner insurance for my daughter as it was her car and we were added as named drivers to bring it down a bit.
Tootling round a large supermarket car park on a Sunday afternoon sounds like a good idea if you are that nervous.
Your instuctor commenting that it may take you over a year to pass may also be taking into consideration the backlog of people waiting to take their practical tests. People are still having to wait months in some areas as everything was delayed and pushed back during lockdown, which I know is frustrating (I've been affected by it myself) but it's out of anyone's control.

I would try not to feel too disheartened by their comments, though. I'd imagine it can be difficult to accurately judge how long it may take someone to pass within the first few lessons - everyone is nervous to begin with but once you get more comfortable with driving you may progress quite quickly. Likewise, it may take you longer than average, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. The best advice anyone can give you is to forget what your instructor said and focus on the here and now. Don't worry about how long it may or may not take you because you'll get there in the end, and that's all that matters.

(Though as others have said, not moving out of first gear in four lessons is very unusual. You'd normally only spend one lesson, at most two, in first, getting used to the pedals and steering etc)
(edited 2 years ago)
I think you should probably look for another instructor if that is her attitude.
Hi,

I started learning to drive a couple of months ago. I'm on my fourth lesson with a really nice instructor and I haven't come out of first gear yet. I'm fairly nervous and she thinks that it will take me a good couple of years with weekly lessons to pass. I'm not in a position to afford more than a weekly lesson and I was hoping to be driving by this time next year. I'm struggling with steering and understanding how much I have to steer at each corner. Is it wise seeing if I can get learners' insurance and practise in my parents' car? Is there anything else I can be doing to speed up the process? I'm learning to love driving and I'm excited by the prospects of freedom that it gives me - driving to see my friends, going to the beach etc. It makes me sad to think that I'm so far off of that.

You haven’t got out of first gear, that is something you should be doing at the start of lesson one.

Find a new instructor, if progress is still ridiculously slow then re-evaluate.
Original post by bones-mccoy
The best advice anyone can give you is to forget what your instructor said and focus on the here and now. Don't worry about how long it may or may not take you because you'll get there in the end, and that's all that matters.

With respect that's segueing into Disney fantasy a bit :tongue: It's entirely possible to fail and you will not get there in the end without change. You need to pay instructors a lot of money for their time so imo you absolutely do need to worry about how long it will take, and for how much you pay for it you cannot blithely disregard what they tell you. Money, Destination, Time, they all matter.
Hi,

I know a lot of people are against automatics but I would suggest trying one. I was in a similar situation so tried an auto. I feel so much more confident and am progressing well. Just be aware that if you pass in an auto, you can't drive a manual. I know people who have passed auto then gone back and passed in manual. Obviously that works out more expensive in the long run but for me it will get me from A to B and I can consider learning gears if need be in future, without having to worry about learning everything else.

If you do want to learn in manual, the shortage of driving tests at the moment (generally, not manual/auto specific) means you have a good while to learn without having to worry about booking a test.

Regarding how much to steer on corners, that will come with time as your confidence increases.

Best of luck anyway :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
With respect that's segueing into Disney fantasy a bit :tongue: It's entirely possible to fail and you will not get there in the end without change. You need to pay instructors a lot of money for their time so imo you absolutely do need to worry about how long it will take, and for how much you pay for it you cannot blithely disregard what they tell you. Money, Destination, Time, they all matter.

I was kind of meaning not to worry about their progress to the point where they lose motivation or start stressing, which will only distract them and hinder their progress. I think attitude is really important too, I had to give myself a pep talk before my lessons when I was starting out otherwise I would have just crumbled :lol: confidence is key.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
I was kind of meaning not to worry about their progress to the point where they lose motivation or start stressing, which will only distract them and cause more mistakes. I think attitude is really important too, I had to give myself a pep talk before my lessons when I was starting out otherwise I would have just crumbled :lol: confidence is key.

Fair, but tbh personally I do think they should be stressing about it if they're paying £30ish an hour for a seeming total lack of progress, that's the exact lack of progress I'd be worrying about here and now, rather than simply disregarding what the instructor said and keeping paying them without any plan for change.

Just as a general tip, I get that it can be intimidating to stand up to someone you've hired who isn't pulling their weight, esp if young and unsure of how things work.. but they'll just keep taking your money and putting in substandard effort if you let them. There's some amount of losers get into teaching driving for all the wrong reasons, esp in the last decade.
Reply 16
You should be moving into second once the car starts moving. The only reason to stay in first is if you are in a traffic jam moving at under 5mph. I'd consider finding a new instructor.
Reply 17
UPDATE: I changed instructors! :smile: I took a break from driving after 7-8 lessons with no progress whatsoever (as I found it really demotivating). I started with a new instructor last week and he's already let me go into 2nd gear and even tried to encourage me to drive myself home!
UPDATE: I changed instructors! :smile: I took a break from driving after 7-8 lessons with no progress whatsoever (as I found it really demotivating). I started with a new instructor last week and he's already let me go into 2nd gear and even tried to encourage me to drive myself home!

That's great news - well done!

The learner-instructor relationship is so important so I'm glad that you've found someone more suited to you.

Best wishes for future lessons and your test :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Ah I'm happy to hear that. I literally just clicked your thread and read through the comments, guessing the advice given by the users had been helpful?
Good luck, and keep us updated! You'll smash it, stay positive and you'll be driving on your own in no time.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending