The Student Room Group

Applying to study Dietetics at university..

Hi,

I want to study Dietetics at university next year and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice for the application process? I'm going to begin an Access to Science course this September to get the necessary qualifications. In regards to work experience I've been looking at different volunteering roles like mealtimes volunteering in hospital and helping elderly people with mobility issues...I was wondering if the universities tend to look for specific types of work experience of if they accept a broad range related to vulnerable populations. Overall just any advice would help in relation to the application process! Thanks in advance :-)
Original post by RaeT
Hi,

I want to study Dietetics at university next year and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice for the application process? I'm going to begin an Access to Science course this September to get the necessary qualifications. In regards to work experience I've been looking at different volunteering roles like mealtimes volunteering in hospital and helping elderly people with mobility issues...I was wondering if the universities tend to look for specific types of work experience of if they accept a broad range related to vulnerable populations. Overall just any advice would help in relation to the application process! Thanks in advance :-)

Hey @RaeT,

It's great to hear you're interested in studying Dietetics!
I'm a current Dietetic student if you have any questions for me?

The general process for applying to university is to go through UCAS, where there are a few steps involved before submitting your applications to the universities of your choice.

Register with UCAS, choosing your entry year

Choose the universities you want to apply to

Write and complete your personal statement

Obtain a reference

Pay the application fee

Submit your UCAS application

For more information regarding the application process via UCAS, you can find out here.

Regarding work experience, to my knowledge, this is not essential as it can sometimes be difficult to obtain work experience in the field of Dietetics. However, it's a bonus if you are able to as you get a glimpse of working in a clinical setting - well done for volunteering! Therefore, it's not usually a requirement to get specific work experience as long as you have an understanding of what being a Dietitian involves. It's important to recognise the importance of the profession, the codes and ethics Dietitians abide by, what necessary skills and qualities Dietitians have and how you may fit the role of a Dietitian. Have you looked at the British Dietetics Association?
Simple questions may be, why you want to become a Dietitian? What about being a Dietitian appeals to you? What skills do you believe Dietitians have? What do you hope to achieve? etc.

When the universities respond back to you, it's likely you'll receive an interview as this is mandatory for anyone choosing to study Dietetics. This is an opportunity for admissions to get an idea of who you are so that they can assess your suitability for the course. For more information, you can find out through the Dietetics Applicants Thread. I have also posted some interview aids here for you too.

If there are any more questions you'd like to ask, feel free to ask!

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student.

Quick Reply

Latest