The Student Room Group

Uni assignments

What happens if I hand in an unfinished assignment for a few modules? I’ve been really struggling mentally and couldn’t find any motivation to do my assignments. Will they have a meeting with me or kick me out?
Reply 1
Hi, I’ve been really struggling mentally and couldn’t find any motivation to finish my assignments. Hence I handed a few unfinished assignments for a few modules. I’m a first year student and I am really scarred that I will be kicked out of university. Please help me I’m so scared!
Reply 2
As long as they're above a pass you'll be fine, if not then you'll simply have to resit those assignments. You will not be kicked out whatsoever.

Also do your university know about you struggling mentally? Telling them allows them to help you out and make sure you still succeed.
Reply 3
Original post by SyedN
As long as they're above a pass you'll be fine, if not then you'll simply have to resit those assignments. You will not be kicked out whatsoever.

Also do your university know about you struggling mentally? Telling them allows them to help you out and make sure you still succeed.

Thanks for the reply, and are you sure because I handed unfinished assignments for 3 modules. I’ve emailed them now and one of the course leaders.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reply, and are you sure because I handed unfinished assignments for 3 modules. I’ve emailed them now and one of the course leaders.

And one of them was already a resit
Unsure if this applies to your specific university, so make sure to contact the head of your course or the leads for your assignments just to check!

In the university I am attending, if you have been struggling with mental health you can apply for a SAC (Severe Adverse Circumstance), which will allow you to defer your assignments.

If you have more than one unfinished module, unfortunately you will have to retake the year. However, if you only have one module, you can have it trail onto your second year (which means you will progress to your second year, but you will have to do the unfinished assignments alongside). Again, this is just for my University, yours may have a different way of going about things.

Definitely best to try and talk to your lecturers about this, they will be able to help you :smile: There won't be any judgement, they probably get hundreds of similar cases every year. They won't kick you out immediately.

Best of luck!
Reply 6

We were told to hand in assignments even if they weren't finished as it will most likely still get us over 0% and if we got over 40% then it's a pass and we do not need to resit them. Plus, first year doesn't count for most degrees so even if you do bad in the first year as long as you smash year 2 and 3 you can still get a 1st overall.

That's good that you have emailed them as they will be the best suited to advice you.
And one of them was already a resit

It changes from university to university, you should check your university's policy on this as I cannot tell what would happen in your case.
What happens if I hand in an unfinished assignment for a few modules? I’ve been really struggling mentally and couldn’t find any motivation to do my assignments. Will they have a meeting with me or kick me out?

Has your course tutor been in touch at all?
If not I would advise getting in touch with them just to explain the situation. Do you plan on doing the extra work and just need more time or are you committed to keeping it submitted as unfinished?
It's better than not submitting anything at all but you will need to speak to your tutor for further guidance as I imagine it varies uni to uni. With regards to your mental health, we'd also advise that you check in with your wellbeing team and speak to someone about your struggles. They'll be able to offer support and help you get back on track.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you were feeling this way :frown:

Each University is different, but I would advise getting into contact with your academic advisor, or if you don't have one, head of department to talk about your situation and further guidance. I'd recommend contacting them sooner rather than later, just so you don't miss any further deadlines etc. As well, it might be worth looking into your university's mental health services. University's offer some great services, and they're there to be used and taken advantage of. Doing this may ease some of your worries, or might just be comforting having someone to speak to.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Hi, I’ve been really struggling mentally and couldn’t find any motivation to finish my assignments. Hence I handed a few unfinished assignments for a few modules. I’m a first year student and I am really scarred that I will be kicked out of university. Please help me I’m so scared!

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling :frown:

I'd advise scheduling a meeting with your academic advisor, or if you don't have one then your head of department to talk about your situation. Each University is different and have different policies, but making someone aware of your situation will really help them get an accurate picture of what you have been going through. They may also be able to give you any help, tips, or general guidance. I'd recommend you to do this sooner rather than later, so that you don't miss any further deadlines.

I hope that's helpful, best of luck to you. I hope you feel a lot better soon.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Has your course tutor been in touch at all?
If not I would advise getting in touch with them just to explain the situation. Do you plan on doing the extra work and just need more time or are you committed to keeping it submitted as unfinished?
It's better than not submitting anything at all but you will need to speak to your tutor for further guidance as I imagine it varies uni to uni. With regards to your mental health, we'd also advise that you check in with your wellbeing team and speak to someone about your struggles. They'll be able to offer support and help you get back on track.

Hi, I’ve emailed the modules leaders about my situation. It’s just I’m scared that if they ask for a meeting and because I don’t have proof of my mental Health, they won’t believe me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending