The Student Room Group

Last minute application... can’t get a reference

Hi all,

I’m really panicked. my application is ready to go off however my old college has closed for the summer. they do have a reference on file for me but the teachers are off and i have no way of contact. I do have a buzzword i can use but don’t think that will be any help although i have applied before to ucas.

I don’t really want to use my boss for a reference as it’s a pizza place and haven’t been there long.

Can i use a current football coach/manager? (It’s for a sports course)

Any help appreciated eek
Original post by Foskr4
Hi all,

I’m really panicked. my application is ready to go off however my old college has closed for the summer. they do have a reference on file for me but the teachers are off and i have no way of contact. I do have a buzzword i can use but don’t think that will be any help although i have applied before to ucas.

I don’t really want to use my boss for a reference as it’s a pizza place and haven’t been there long.

Can i use a current football coach/manager? (It’s for a sports course)

Any help appreciated eek

The reference needs to come from someone who is familiar with your academic ability.

So far as I know, when using a buzzword your app will automatically go to your college for a reference. There will need to be someone there to do their part and complete your application before it goes off to UCAS.

@PQ - Could you advise the best way forward?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
The reference needs to come from someone who is familiar with your academic ability.

So far as I know, when using a buzzword your app will automatically go to your college for a reference. There will need to be someone there to do their part and complete your application before it goes off to UCAS.

@PQ - Could you advise the best way forward?

It’s complex, I have an old maths tutor from year 11 who i could contact? But haven’t spoken to her in years and i don’t know what she’d need to write etc
Original post by Foskr4
It’s complex, I have an old maths tutor from year 11 who i could contact? But haven’t spoken to her in years and i don’t know what she’d need to write etc

In most cases I would recommend putting eiher your year head or personal tutor, they will either supply the reference they have on record or collate info from relevant staff if needs be.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
In most cases I would recommend putting eiher your year head or personal tutor, they will either supply the reference they have on record or collate info from relevant staff if needs be.

I can’t get hold of them 😭 my college is closed for the summer and they have my reference on file. Should I wait until august 9th when they re open or try use someone else as a reference ie my old maths tutor? Really stuck on what to do
Original post by Foskr4
I can’t get hold of them 😭 my college is closed for the summer and they have my reference on file. Should I wait until august 9th when they re open or try use someone else as a reference ie my old maths tutor? Really stuck on what to do

Did you submit an application with a reference to UCAS in previous years?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Did you submit an application with a reference to UCAS in previous years?

Yeah I did - my college has one on file for me. The teacher who needs to do it isn’t in until 9th of august. reception said to put the buzz word in and the teacher will do it when she’s back in. Should i do that? so my application goes off atleast?
Original post by Foskr4
Yeah I did - my college has one on file for me. The teacher who needs to do it isn’t in until 9th of august. reception said to put the buzz word in and the teacher will do it when she’s back in. Should i do that? so my application goes off atleast?

Ok.

In that case you have a quick option.

Ring up ucas today and ask for a “subject access request” to get a copy of your full application from previous years. Ucas will send this to you within 24 hours (usually as a pdf).

You can then send this to someone else who can be your referee (like your football coach) and can provide you with a reference. The reference can include a quick info on their relationship with you and then: “the information below was a reference provided to Foskr4 by their school in YEAR” and then copy in the reference from your old school.

Bingo you have your previous reference provided to ucas by someone independent.

Do NOT put in a buzzword. That sends your application into limbo with your school until August 9th
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Ok.

Ring up ucas today and ask for a “subject access request” to get a copy of your full application from previous years. Ucas will send this to you within 24 hours (usually as a pdf).

You can then send this to someone else who can be your referee (like your football coach) and can provide you with a reference. The reference can include a quick info on their relationship with you and then: “the information below was a reference provided to Foskr4 by their school in YEAR” and then copy in the reference from your old school.

Do NOT put in a buzzword. That sends your application into limbo with your school until August 9th

Thank you for this! Good idea. I’ve emailed the uni about the course and asked the likelihood of clearing spaces being available in august. So if they say loads i might go through my college.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Ok.

Are you allowed to do this? just wondering
Original post by Foskr4
Are you allowed to do this? just wondering

Yes. You have right to request a full copy of the application incuding the reference.

If the uni aren't happy with it coming via a third party, they will just ask for a verified copy as part of any offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending