The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Better luck through Clearing or Adjustment?

I'm an IB student. I've applied for the International foundation programme at KCL.

I required a 32 for the foundation but I got a 37. I would therefore like to apply directly for a Bachelor at KCL. European Politics BA seems available for Clearing on UCAS. However, it is "Closed for applications" according to the KCL website. When I called KCL I was just told to try to apply through Clearing although they can't guarantee a place. The same was said when I sent a message through King's Apply.

Also, it's important to note that I got the foundation program offer directly on the KCL portal without going through UCAS. Therefore, I won't be abandoning my offer for the foundation if I apply to the new course through Clearing. The unis I applied to on UCAS don't interest me anyway.

This leads me to this question. Should I apply through Clearing right now, or should I try my luck on the 10th of August with Adjustment with the hope that a place frees itself?

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
If you want to change course at your current firm university then you wouldn't use either clearing or adjustment for that.
Just ring KCL and talk to them about your results and your request to change course away from foundation. If they refuse to change you course then use clearing to apply to other universities.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you want to change course at your current firm university then you wouldn't use either clearing or adjustment for that.
Just ring KCL and talk to them about your results and your request to change course away from foundation. If they refuse to change you course then use clearing to apply to other universities.

Thank you for the reply! I have called them and they said that I should try applying through UCAS Clearing or Adjustment if I want to change course. Furthermore, they could not answer if my desired course has vacancies or not. For some reason, European Politics BA has vacancies according to the UCAS website, but according to the KCL website, it does not. The person I talked to on the phone could not enlighten the situation for me :/

I need my university to be in London, and with the exception of KCL and perhaps Queen Mary, there is no other top London uni offering clearing. At least I think so, please tell me if I am wrong. Also, I would rather do KCL's foundation than a QMUL course anyways.
Original post by Jamin06
Thank you for the reply! I have called them and they said that I should try applying through UCAS Clearing or Adjustment if I want to change course. Furthermore, they could not answer if my desired course has vacancies or not. For some reason, European Politics BA has vacancies according to the UCAS website, but according to the KCL website, it does not. The person I talked to on the phone could not enlighten the situation for me :/

I need my university to be in London, and with the exception of KCL and perhaps Queen Mary, there is no other top London uni offering clearing. At least I think so, please tell me if I am wrong. Also, I would rather do KCL's foundation than a QMUL course anyways.

did you ask for the name and job title of the person you spoke to? This time of year it's common for temps or junoir members of staff to be put on the phones without a full understanding of admissions.

Quick Reply

Latest