The Student Room Group

lonely at lunch/ break

i have friends but we’re not really speaking at the moment, we’ve broken up for the summer holidays and one of them isn’t talking to me at all, so i’m worried when i go back the other friend will side with her and completely ignore me. i’m quite an anxious person and don’t really speak to many people, so i have no clue what i would do at lunch time or break. we’re not allowed to use our phones, the library isn’t open, the toilets are monitored and i hate speaking to teachers, so i would never open up to them. what am i supposed to do?
Join a lunchtime club?
Reply 2
That's sad. I hope things get better for you.
Eat your lunch while reading a book somewhere quiet like the stairwell or the corridor of your next class. If you are artsy you could draw too. If you've got exams you can revise, anything to finish off for class you could do that. Go outside, walk around the building a few times and possibly find a nice place to sit in the summer weather.

If you could try and resolve things with your friend, ask her to meet up with you in person so you both can speak about it. Being anxious is completely understandable in social situations but solving arguments over text can leave so much room for something to be perceived wrong. I know it seems like everything is going badly, whether you started the argument or someone else did but talking to them might help. As someone who has fallen out with lots of people, losing friends you thought would be there for you and vice versa long-term tends to hurt the most. Focus on developing your own character because it's super easy to say 'they were the problem, they did x, y and z'. In reality, it's hard to admit that you can be the problem and that you can be at fault. Taking responsibility is the first step to mending any relationship but depending on what happened, you also need to accept that things won't be the same. If you don't address it and just apologise, it will come back later in an argument no matter how much you try to change it or ignore it.

Take care of yourself and I am here to message if you need a friend. Summer is tough when you don't have the best relationships with others :/
Reply 4
This was so helpful to read, thank you for being so nice! I really appreciate it :smile:
Aww! That is so sad to read ... I wish we are close so we can spend time together but I am not unfortunately. I would suggest to read a book or try to have a new skill like drawing it could help you to enjoy your time.
Original post by darceyy_
i have friends but we’re not really speaking at the moment, we’ve broken up for the summer holidays and one of them isn’t talking to me at all, so i’m worried when i go back the other friend will side with her and completely ignore me. i’m quite an anxious person and don’t really speak to many people, so i have no clue what i would do at lunch time or break. we’re not allowed to use our phones, the library isn’t open, the toilets are monitored and i hate speaking to teachers, so i would never open up to them. what am i supposed to do?

Hey, so sorry to hear about that. Friends do have falling outs and sometimes people patch things up and get back together. In the meantime when you do go back I know schools always have diverse cliques and groups of people. You could try identify someone else that seems quiet and perhaps be quiet together (may sound odd lol) but it is worth a try.

Wishing you all the best.
Lee- UoP Student Rep
Reply 7
Original post by darceyy_

Wow I relate to this so much me and my friends fell a few months ago but nothing got sorted out so i just do revision somewhere quiet or join any lunchtime clubs that they have available at your school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending