The Student Room Group

My dad hates my personality of being Shy

I am an extremely shy person, Ive been shy ever since I was a child. As a child I remember hiding behind my late mum whenever we visited the fam and wrapping my arms around her because I was that shy.

Now i'm in my mid 20s and I am still shy. I went to uni in hopes for my shyness to improve, but it's still the same. I've taken myself out of my comfort zone many times just for my shyness to go away. Ive been to the doctors, but they can only do so much.

My shyness has ruined my life. Friendships don't last long and I've never been in a relationship.

So I'm trying to get a graduate job. I have all the work and skills there. but when it comes to doing interviews I start panicking a lot and I become extremely nervous. I worry that I wont get a job because the manager doesn't like my shy personality.

I accept that I am a shy person, everyone knows that I'm shy. I can't be someone i'm not. I can't be that "bubbly" or "out going person" because it's not who I am.

My dad doesn't like my personality... as he is a bit more outgoing, his fam always likes to talk they have bigger personalities they're more "loud" and they love to be the centre of attention. He wants me to be just like them and to not be shy. He warns me not to be shy whenever we visit them.

I like to listen to people, and observe.

I've tried so hard in my life to change. I am ashamed of who I am and it upsets me a lot that my dad doesn't like who I am.

I never got help as a child to deal with my shyness, I feel if I did get help earlier then I wouldn't be who I am today.

Do you have any advice??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending