The Student Room Group

Get really red and face feels weird when speaking to someone

I am really getting self conscious and it's actually affecting my life. I get red whenever I talk to someone I start feeling shaky and feel like I can't get my words out. Even if I'm not that nervous i turn excessively red. It makes me more nervous and red knowing I'm going to be red it's this cycle that is ruining things for me. Honestly I stay back at things because I'm scared I'll go super red and nervous and look stupid. And then people say 'your going red' 'your face has gone unusual have u had an allergic reaction or something ' it's stressing me out. I don't know had anyone been through this I feel like it will stop me from getting a good job and having a social life. I'm 21 btw. This has been happening since if say yr6 but now it's starting to affect every inch of my life. Even with my family, I'll speak and go red idk why. I
i used to be such a shy person and i would stress and shake when speaking to people what i found that helps is easing yourself out your comfort zone. Is there soemone you speak to where you dont get nervous and turn red? If theres someone maybe try speaking to someone with them so it wont be as awkward and it might make it easier and less nervous as you have a familiar face. You have probably tried this but just an idea. What helped me was getting a job, working in retail i have to speak to so many people a day so ive gotten used to talk to random strangers but when i first started the job i was horrible i would ignore customers because i was too scared to talk to them. But i realised that everytime i did speak to people it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be so i was just overreacting. Also try thinking about what part of talking to people makes you go red/nervous for example is it just the fact its a stranger or maybe are you stressed about anything or do you think about what other people will think of you.
Reply 2
Original post by heyidontknowwhat
i used to be such a shy person and i would stress and shake when speaking to people what i found that helps is easing yourself out your comfort zone. Is there soemone you speak to where you dont get nervous and turn red? If theres someone maybe try speaking to someone with them so it wont be as awkward and it might make it easier and less nervous as you have a familiar face. You have probably tried this but just an idea. What helped me was getting a job, working in retail i have to speak to so many people a day so ive gotten used to talk to random strangers but when i first started the job i was horrible i would ignore customers because i was too scared to talk to them. But i realised that everytime i did speak to people it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be so i was just overreacting. Also try thinking about what part of talking to people makes you go red/nervous for example is it just the fact its a stranger or maybe are you stressed about anything or do you think about what other people will think of you.

Thank you for this, I am trying to get out of my confort zone. Its just hard I feel soo upset and isolated and feel stupid. For instance guests came yesterday I wasn't even shy but kept going red and I could feel it. My family picks on it and says what's happed to Ur face. I honestly get soo annoyed when they say this to me makes me feel 10x worse. I feel like nobody understands me and I'm just this nervous wreck. I am searching online for CBT apparently that can help. It's like my family think I go red on purpose the way they ask me. You'd think they'd be the understanding ones but no they make everything more bad. They think I'm a weirdo and feel like I shud control going full on red. Sad I wish I had someone who wud just understand me and talk to me. Also any tips on what I can say to my family when they call me weirdo, tomato, looks like the cooking was done on Ur face how red u r. It might seem funny but it's damaging me I feel worthless.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for this, I am trying to get out of my confort zone. Its just hard I feel soo upset and isolated and feel stupid. For instance guests came yesterday I wasn't even shy but kept going red and I could feel it. My family picks on it and says what's happed to Ur face. I honestly get soo annoyed when they say this to me makes me feel 10x worse. I feel like nobody understands me and I'm just this nervous wreck. I am searching online for CBT apparently that can help. It's like my family think I go red on purpose the way they ask me. You'd think they'd be the understanding ones but no they make everything more bad. They think I'm a weirdo and feel like I shud control going full on red. Sad I wish I had someone who wud just understand me and talk to me. Also any tips on what I can say to my family when they call me weirdo, tomato, looks like the cooking was done on Ur face how red u r. It might seem funny but it's damaging me I feel worthless.

Have you told your family how the names make you feel? Maybe they will feel guilty if they know that your hurt by their words. You could also ask them for words of encouragement when your talking to people so it distracts you and makes you more confident. Just a random thought but if want to hide the redness you could try foundation or something? This could help you become more confident because no one would be commenting on it.
Reply 4
Original post by heyidontknowwhat
Have you told your family how the names make you feel? Maybe they will feel guilty if they know that your hurt by their words. You could also ask them for words of encouragement when your talking to people so it distracts you and makes you more confident. Just a random thought but if want to hide the redness you could try foundation or something? This could help you become more confident because no one would be commenting on it.

Honestly they don't understand me which sounds stupid. I think they they I shud be able to control it. I actually had another incident today, my dad told me to answer a call on his behalf I wasnt shy at all but I got extremely red. And my dad said to me later that he thinks it's going to be tough for me to get somewhere in my life with this confidence k have got. Ngl I'm very motivated I will push myself to do things. But im feeling very upset today, im actually in tears as I'm typing. Idk if I'm the only one that feels so worthless when things like this happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending